FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erick & I hit Caspersons Beach in Venice and I used his spare Ex Cal. ll because mine didn't arrive yet.

Things were very slow, no good items, but a interesting bullet. This area has been know for it's 50 cal. world war 2 bullets. You can see in the photo bottom left how it was found encased and a foot & a half down in chest deep water.

The second photo is after I carefully removed it and cleaned it up a bit. Water was warm and calm so it was still nice to get out.

Attachments

• Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 469
  • bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0
quite often some of florida beaches were used for strafing practice for WW 2 era pilots -(little talbot island beach for exsample was heavily used --- brass 50 cal casings are still often found on the beaches there with a 1942 "head stamp"---- nassau sound also had an old shipwreck that was used as a bombing target as well)--- the pilots were training to giveclose support for the up coming island landings in the pacific -- knowing they would be beach clearing any japanese they would see to help the landing us troops

I have given away many of these.
The first bunch I found was 22 casings and 9 bullets in a hole about 24" in dia and 18" deep.
I believe they were deposited when the beach was replenished. They were at the base of a 4 foot cut. after a storm.

The head stamps are 42, 43, 44.

Attachments

• DSC00026 (320 x 240).jpg
    DSC00026 (320 x 240).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 731
  • DSC00027 (320 x 240).jpg
    DSC00027 (320 x 240).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 704
I knew you had found some but not that many.. Nice collection

In March when I was in Florida I detected Whitney Beach on Long Boat Key. I found a bunch of those but didn't know what they were and could not bring them home anyway...didn't even keep them. Hope they aren't worth anything!

cntrydncr1 said:
Hope they aren't worth anything!

Last time I knew they were selling on ebay for $80.00 each......

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

..LOL Just Kidding

FloridaBill said:
cntrydncr1 said:
Hope they aren't worth anything!

Last time I knew they were selling on ebay for $80.00 each......

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

..LOL Just Kidding
I wish!

You deserve honorable mention - You guy's are out there doing the work and I know what the work is
and I'am sending some luck your way - hope it works for you in finding something really great in the
near future even though the things you found are interesting I know you want to find a Big Fat Juicey
Diamond Ring - Cavedweller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back