worn buffalo nickel....anything I can do??

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Dug up a buffalo nickel on Saturday and cannot get a date or mint mark off it...heavily worn (see photos). Is there anything I can do to find out what the year and mint mark are for this coin? Does it need a good cleaning or is the marking worn smooth and no hope of getting them? Also what caused the nickel to turn that dark brown/rust color?

Thanks

Funkman

ps. the nickel is obvious, the other coin is a arcade token....don;t care about that one.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 450
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 422
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 412
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 409

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Nothing I'm aware of.

Nic-A-date works on Non-Dug Buffalos, But I havn't had much luck with it on the Dug ones. Too Much Pitting.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm sure if I work with it more and had a better scan of it....I prob could get the date...but it looks like possibly 1916....

Can you rescan it and save it as a .tiff file...oh wait....you can't upload a .tiff....well, can you rescan it, just the Indian Head side and save it as a .jpg/.jpeg file and repost? I can copy from there and see what I can get.

Not saying it is 1916...but I see 1 9 ? 6.

Wait....looking at it again....maybe 1926.....

Attachments

• untitled3a.jpg
    untitled3a.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 440

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Forgot to tell you....what I do with my coins, with so much dirt embedded on it...I use a soft bristle toothbrush (one of the kids' old ones) and dip it in a bit of baking soda and wet the coin. I rub/scrub it on the coin to clean some of the dirt off.

Baking Soda is non-abrasive and very handy in the house to clean many things. So much better to than all these chemicals we buy at the store.

If no baking soda, just put a bit on the brush of dish washing liquid. You just want to get some dirt off, that's all, you don't want to make it pretty...may help before you scan it. I dab a soft cloth to the coin to dry it...never rub it. A polishing cloth is fine, if you have one.

I learned this method on an archaeology site on how they clean off dirt. Don't rub the coin with your fingers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions