tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has an asking price of $18'995. The mileage is unknown, due to a busted odometer. It is a car I've dreamed about owning more than I should. If anything would this have the potential of holding and possibly increasing in value in the state of condition it is now over time?

Attachments

• 00N0N_95lRB3zYk3m_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    00N0N_95lRB3zYk3m_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 00A0A_l5qmLw4iQrf_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    00A0A_l5qmLw4iQrf_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 68
  • 00Z0Z_dxyIIsriez_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_dxyIIsriez_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 00T0T_1Uwr3exeyl1_0CI0hR_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_1Uwr3exeyl1_0CI0hR_600x450.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 00L0L_43j67giX7eW_0CI0hR_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_43j67giX7eW_0CI0hR_600x450.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 69

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First glance it looks like it will need a good amount of Rust repair..without seeing rocker panels & frame its a tough call...Im not 100% sure that tri power is original to the car..definitely some worn-out to it.. Id lean towards 13000 $

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First glance it looks like it will need a good amount of Rust repair..without seeing rocker panels & frame its a tough call...Im not 100% sure that tri power is original to the car..definitely some worn-out to it.. Id lean towards 13000 $
Indeed so many unknowns with these type of potentially jury-rigged overtime vehicles. Does have a clear title.

Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lot of sheet metal work is going to be needed. Repower. Interior. Floor panels. Most likely trunk panels. Going to be a big job.

People will always want a GTO. If you could get a good price I’d jump on it. Offer $10k and see what happens.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lot of sheet metal work is going to be needed. Repower. Interior. Floor panels. Most likely trunk panels. Going to be a big job.

People will always want a GTO. If you could get a good price I’d jump on it. Offer $10k and see what happens.
More than likely to many not mentioned overwhelming potential problems. I'll bet it sells soon. Maybe I should focus on the car I drove when I met my future bride. A $400. 1971 AMC Gremlin I picked up in Iowa and drove to Colorado and drove many times back and forth to work from Buena Vista to Frisco, Colorado in high rocky mountain winter storms. Then in June of 1986, I drove it to Sacramento for a job. Me and my wife to be had tons of good times in that Gremlin, going to Lake Tahoe to gamble and camping from Lasen national park to the Pacific coast, and places in the Sierra mountains. It still ran like a champ when I sold it.

Last edited:

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one on classic.com that's fully restored listed for $69k. I agree with BennyV, offer $10k and see where it goes. Restoring that car will cost $$$. I used to help a guy restore late 60's corvettes. He easily stuck $20k into each car and that was in the 90's. But he was having them judged with all the correct part numbers and paint codes so he could get top dollar.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one on classic.com that's fully restored listed for $69k. I agree with BennyV, offer $10k and see where it goes. Restoring that car will cost $$$. I used to help a guy restore late 60's corvettes. He easily stuck $20k into each car and that was in the 90's. But he was having them judged with all the correct part numbers and paint codes so he could get top dollar.
I worked summers in my neighbors body shop in 1974. We pieced together a crashed 1967 corvette. We pieced together the front body parts with the existing pieces and patches of fiberglass from other crashed Vets in the bone yard. It was pretty easy dealing with fiberglass. Much easier than sheet metal.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked summers in my neighbors body shop in 1974. We pieced together a crashed 1967 corvette. We pieced together the front body parts with the existing pieces and patches of fiberglass from other crashed Vets in the bone yard. It was pretty easy dealing with fiberglass. Much easier than sheet metal.
We never did that kind of work to them. My buddy was an engineer and always told me once the fiberglass was crushed, the structural integrity of the car was lost. I did fiberglass work on them on my own, it is much easier than metal work.

My dad owned and operated a body shop during my childhood. He used lead as body filler, talk about hard work! He did a lot of older 30's coupe restoration in the 70's.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We never did that kind of work to them. My buddy was an engineer and always told me once the fiberglass was crushed, the structural integrity of the car was lost. I did fiberglass work on them on my own, it is much easier than metal work.

My dad owned and operated a body shop during my childhood. He used lead as body filler, talk about hard work! He did a lot of older 30's coupe restoration in the 70's.
I've seen old leaded body repairs in old pre 60s cars in those oldtime boneyards. For many years I've found visiting old junk yards to be pure stimulating pleasure. As a kid we'd search for change in the seats and floor boards in the old junkyards that weren't being watched over by a mean junkyard dog.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m no expert, but from what I gather, if the engine/drivetrain was replaced with something that it didn’t come with, it reduces the value that the restoration folks will pay. It could end up being a parts car believe it or not.

When it comes to the performance options (which increase the value), the numbers and codes are what is important.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m no expert, but from what I gather, if the engine/drivetrain was replaced with something that it didn’t come with, it reduces the value that the restoration folks will pay. It could end up being a parts car believe it or not.

When it comes to the performance options (which increase the value), the numbers and codes are what is important.
Yeah there's no claim of numbers matching or originality, so it could very well be that 389 was switched to a tri power setup.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yup, everything the car came with from the factory needs to still be there. Engine and drivetrain must be original. When we did the Corvettes years ago, all the parts needed to be from the same factory lots used on each year for each factory the car came from. Paint needed to be exact color and type used at the factory (not just the body, all parts too). But we were going for top dollar.

In this particular situation with the GTO, some leeway would be ok. As long as the finished restoration is equal to the car that rolled off the assembly line, all good. I mean you can't use aftermarket "AutoZone" parts. Parts should be GM. However, you could use "Year One" aftermarket body replacement body panels to complete the restoration.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, everything the car came with from the factory needs to still be there. Engine and drivetrain must be original. When we did the Corvettes years ago, all the parts needed to be from the same factory lots used on each year for each factory the car came from. Paint needed to be exact color and type used at the factory (not just the body, all parts too). But we were going for top dollar.

In this particular situation with the GTO, some leeway would be ok. As long as the finished restoration is equal to the car that rolled off the assembly line, all good. I mean you can't use aftermarket "AutoZone" parts. Parts should be GM. However, you could use "Year One" aftermarket body replacement body panels to complete the restoration.
Yeah like that yellow plastic fan blade.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah there's no claim of numbers matching or originality, so it could very well be that 389 was switched to a tri power setup.
This is possible. I had a guy years ago that wanted his 4 banger 80's Mustang to look like a Mustang GT. When I was done a year after I got it, it resembled a GT on the outside. Engine and drivetrain were nowhere near a GT. That was a waste of time and money on his part. But you do what you get paid to do.

Of course, like the job I described, you could use whatever parts you want and go custom. Many guys do this with muscle cars and still get buyers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems to be a bit steep for a restoration project. Ir the serial # matched it would give it a bit of a premium.
Information regarding these were sought after car when they came out.

Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 1.06.22 PM.png

Now there are other partially restored for less out there, as this one.
But it doesn't have the same powertrain.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But with the pan and sheet metal rust you’re looking at a dip..there is a certain amount of $$ required to save these cars subject to this kind of rust. The budget has to be there.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But with the pan and sheet metal rust you’re looking at a dip..there is a certain amount of $$ required to save these cars subject to this kind of rust. The budget has to be there.
It’s cool as all hell but I’ve got a station wagon that’s in the same boat..lots of interior and chrome..better be a numbers correct big block/4-speed or it’s not an investment...it’s a cool car and we all love those. Also unless they are relocated to a drier climate..the rust will destroy the “”frame””. Better be prepared for long term storage. I’ve seen plenty of “six pack” manifolds laying around old school body shops.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rust repair? Nope! Replace the parts!
Every part you need.

Pontiac's rule!! :headbang:

firebird front full.jpg

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rust repair? Nope! Replace the parts!
Every part you need.

Yea but the budget required to drill spot welds and piece together the unibody requires a budget that’s usually based on it actually being a big block 4-speed car. Not a car with a big block and 4-speed. The original question was asking about buying and holding on to as an investment. It better be a big block 4-speed. That’s my only point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread