¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own property in a known gold producing area (several underground placer mines in the area) and I have information about the direction the old tertiary channels flowed. I often wonder what is underneath the basalt lava cap that is the surface of my property. I figure the only way to find out is to core sample. But thats super expensive. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you spend the time and money to do that? A basalt lava cap? seriously? Youd have to have a huge operation to work through that. Reminds me of one of the basic rules of paleontology; dont go looking where you dont want to dig.

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since I know what I am talking about and you dont know any circumstances behind my theory involving a property you have never been to, I might just go ahead and take core samples. And yeah, a lava cap. seriously. Do some research in this part of the country.

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Armchair prospectors.......

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok first question how thick is the basalt? second you say u know the trend of the tericary channels but how far away and would they be known on both sides of you? the underground placer mines are intresting and I have read the geoloogy of the serirra nevadas. I wish you luck but worry you could miss a channel by a few feet and never know. I wounder if ground penitrating raday could trace the channels filled by the lava?

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nearby mines are capped with about 2-300 ft of lava. Others are nearly at the surface. But see, they didnt dig a shaft straight down. They dug from the side. Old glaciers exposed the channels. And yes, my friend did the whole radar thing on his property back in 1989 and found 2 channels. (Which the old timers dug into) My friend wanted to find the confluence.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a single chair with arms on it.

I don't suck at prospecting.

You asked what people thought. Yet, got all diaper rash about one of the first responses.

I agree with the guy that gave you diaper rash.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been a lot of newbies lecturing and disguising it as questions lately.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Advise is, Don't ask advise if you already know the answer to your question. Spend the money and bore a hole to China. I hope your hunch pans out for you. Cheers!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check your well log.
After all it's just to satisfy your curiosity.

Maybe it will be shallow and you can start testing the gravel using a large skid steer or something.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many have done it, Jeff Williams on youtube is doing the same thing. Here are 2 pictures of what the old timers here in AZ have done. one is an adit going into caliche until they hit the gravel, shaft runs 100-150 feet, hard to tell crawling. the picture with my thumb in the way is a shaft, about 30 feet deep until they hit the gravel, did not go in the hole. 20190609_125529.jpg 20190622_114102.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd look for a spot where the edge of the basalt is exposed, and you can excavate under it.
Jim

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look for a spot where the edge of the basalt is exposed, and you can excavate under it.
Jim

You mean like the old timers.... That's just silly doin what works.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also you don't use a "core" drill to sample placer deposits.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes the best way to make $100,000 in gold is to spend $500,000 on a hunch.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread