Would this be a good coin sorter?

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im in the process of developing a machine like this now that can sort coppers from zincs and all rare coins from the batch too. So you will have it separated like this:
all copper coins
all zinc coins
all rare coins

you will have to go though the rare coins pile by hand to organise the cents, but In my option that beats going though all the other coins.

I am developing this for me I was going to try to sell it after I had it made but I guess everyone's happy with the coin sorters they already have.

Thanks for reading,

MoneyBags

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't know how the machine would organize "rare coins"...

you also have to be a charter member to sell things on here.

I was not selling it on here just wanted to see what the intrest in a machine like this would be, and also I have an great idea on how to do this the idea came to me when I was talking to one of my friends and said they dont have a machine that can do this yet. So now I am going to work on getting the machine built.

if i did want to be a charter member how would i do this?

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
edit: just bought it 20.00$ a yr is not to much to support a great forum like this! 100% worth it.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Im in the process of developing a machine like this now that can sort coppers from zincs and all rare coins from the batch too. So you will have it separated like this:
all copper coins
all zinc coins
all rare coins

you will have to go though the rare coins pile by hand to organise the cents, but In my option that beats going though all the other coins.

I am developing this for me I was going to try to sell it after I had it made but I guess everyone's happy with the coin sorters they already have.

Thanks for reading,

MoneyBags

You mean something like this:

Those are my homemade sorters. There are two comparators. All Cu-cladded Zn cents drop into the canvas bag. All brass cents (95%Cu, 5%Zn) drop into the gray tub. Everything else (early wheats, IH cents, dimes, foreigns) drop into the black bin.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean something like this:

Those are my homemade sorters. There are two comparators. All Cu-cladded Zn cents drop into the canvas bag. All brass cents (95%Cu, 5%Zn) drop into the gray tub. Everything else (early wheats, IH cents, dimes, foreigns) drop into the black bin.

so this sorts 100% of the wheats out or just most of them? and nice machine btw.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the charter member... i would do it too if i had paypal...
hh
buff

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
it can't sort out 100% of the wheats. In fact, it can only sort about 5% of the wheats. the early ones.

The wheats from 1944 to 1958 are the same alloy as the 1959 - 1982 memorials. So they sort the same. It is the 1942 and older wheatsw that many times don't "match" the target coin of 1981 and so right now with the Ryedale go to the reject side. He is saying those older coins (About 5% of the wheats found) would go to the third bag. I find that by watching my reject side as I sort, I don' tneed the third bag and I found through sampling that I found darn close to 100% of the wheats even without doing the third bag. My results at least

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
it can't sort out 100% of the wheats. In fact, it can only sort about 5% of the wheats. the early ones.

The wheats from 1944 to 1958 are the same alloy as the 1959 - 1982 memorials. So they sort the same. It is the 1942 and older wheatsw that many times don't "match" the target coin of 1981 and so right now with the Ryedale go to the reject side. He is saying those older coins (About 5% of the wheats found) would go to the third bag. I find that by watching my reject side as I sort, I don' tneed the third bag and I found through sampling that I found darn close to 100% of the wheats even without doing the third bag. My results at least

I love how you say that it can only find 5% of the wheats, I can guantee you it can find 99.9% my machine will be 100% unique and has nothing to do with testing the alloy of the coin to accept or reject it.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
so this sorts 100% of the wheats out or just most of them? and nice machine btw.

. . . my approach is . . . the difference between a 1954 and 1974 coin because . . . early wheats - xxxx and before . . .

... my machine will be 100% unique and has nothing to do with testing the alloy of the coin to accept or reject it.

I look forward to finding out more about the technology that your device uses. . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Like JRF said, my approach is the metal-alloy approach. As such, it can't tell the difference between a 1954 and 1974 coin because they are the same alloy. It only finds early wheats - 1943 and before (the 1943 steel cent ends up in the 3rd bin because it is not Zn and not Cu-Zn).

I look forward to finding out more about the technology that your device uses. Optical (laser) or sonar (ultrasound) would be viable technologies to do this, but if you are keeping it a secret we'll have to wait.

ui am keeping it a secret sorry and yes it does use one im sorry to test but thats all theres much more involved i shared it with buffaloBoy the idea to se what he thinks.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well for the technology for this kind of sorter to be made the first one would cost me close to 25k. Simply bc the technology needs to be made then i wouldnt have to pay for that part again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread