Status
Not open for further replies.

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps this has been hashed out before but here's the question : Would you ask permission from the government to dig with heavy equipment on a mining claim you legally own & pay fees & taxes on? I say hell no. As long as you are not doing something illegal like destroying creeks or ruining the environment why would you ask them for permission? If I had a claim I would do what I wanted on it & if anyone told me different I'd show them off the claim in no uncertain way. I'd tell them to mind their own business & leave me alone. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time with a spade shovel if I had the resources to run equipment unless I was just in it for a hobby which is fine. No disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun as a hobby but screw that as far as I'm concerned. I'd want to rip it up & have some real fun. Why would I crawl to the government begging them for permission to mine my claim? This is America. It could take a month or more to dig down to bedrock depending on your ground & you'd kill yourself doing it. I would get an excavator & be down there in 10 minutes. That's what will get you the gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps this has been hashed out before but here's the question : Would you ask permission from the government to dig with heavy equipment on a mining claim you legally own & pay fees & taxes on? I say hell no. As long as you are not doing something illegal like destroying creeks or ruining the environment why would you ask them for permission? If I had a claim I would do what I wanted on it & if anyone told me different I'd show them off the claim in no uncertain way. I'd tell them to mind their own business & leave me alone. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time with a spade shovel if I had the resources to run equipment unless I was just in it for a hobby which is fine. No disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun with little hobby toys but screw that as far as I'm concerned. I'd want to rip it up & have some real fun.

You still have to follow state laws or end up in court.

Also there is no need to insult members with your "No disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun with little hobby toys" comment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem. I changed that comment to "no disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun as a hobby". Hopefully that won't offend anyone. As the post stated, as long as you're not doing anything illegal you should just go ahead & dig.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. I changed that comment to "no disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun as a hobby". Hopefully that won't offend anyone. As the post stated, as long as you're not doing anything illegal you should just go ahead & dig.

Come back when your speaking from experience. That might help all of us out.
BTW, per your comment on the other thread...that gold in my avatar pic was found within 2' of bedrock and by shoveling into a 1 yard per hour trommel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion, this country needs some real men to stand up for their rights. America was not built by momma's boys asking for permission to do legal things. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think you are big and bad enough to take on the guberment, knock your self out.
I agree with what you are saying but, it's an unwinnable battle.:dontknow:

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
I just don't think you need to ask government agencies to do things you have a legal right to do. Once you ask them your screwed. They will just make up their own rules anyway.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speak from experience? I am simply asking a question as to what would you do? Are you asking me to leave the forum?

Nope - I'm saying ignore the government regulations and start your mining operation then get back to us on how it turned out. I know of at least one guy around my area that did that. He didn't get far and ended up losing his a$$ in legal fees. There is right and wrong...then there is reality.

I know another guy who decided to use a monitor to wash the hillside down at night (tail water running into a settling pond.)
Worked good for a few nights...till one night the EPA, State Water Quality, State & Fed Fish and Game folks all showed up at 1:00 A.M. in the morning.

30 feet of overburden is insane! Have you ever successfully done that (at a profit)?

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Reclamation -- example putting the land back to the state it was in before you rip it up & have some real fun.
Cheers Mike

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps this has been hashed out before but here's the question : Would you ask permission from the government to dig with heavy equipment on a mining claim you legally own & pay fees & taxes on? I say hell no. As long as you are not doing something illegal like destroying creeks or ruining the environment why would you ask them for permission? If I had a claim I would do what I wanted on it & if anyone told me different I'd show them off the claim in no uncertain way. I'd tell them to mind their own business & leave me alone. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time with a spade shovel if I had the resources to run equipment unless I was just in it for a hobby which is fine. No disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun as a hobby but screw that as far as I'm concerned. I'd want to rip it up & have some real fun. Why would I crawl to the government begging them for permission to mine my claim? This is America. It could take a month or more to dig down to bedrock depending on your ground & you'd kill yourself doing it. I would get an excavator & be down there in 10 minutes. That's what will get you the gold.

Part of being granted a claim is your agreeing to follow the rules. Not
following the rules can lead to you losing your claim, not to mention
the rather hefty fines you'll receive.

If people acted as you suggest, above, their (your) actions will have a
negative effect on all miners.

Respectfully, having a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude,
will gain you nothing in the gold mining community.

JMHO....

Last edited:

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sympathize with what you're saying OP, but you really, REALLY do not want to screw with the government. The America you think it was doesn't exist anymore. Trigger happy cops kill people every week for far less, and the government just hates miners. Cover your ass and do everything legally, if you don't want to then be prepared to deal with the consequences when you get caught.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion, this country needs some real men to stand up for their rights. America was not built by momma's boys asking for permission to do legal things. Just sayin'.

I am a huge proponent of both Freedom and Liberty, but neither can exist
without laws to protect the rights of all.

Yeah, I'll follow the laws, and whether you do, or not, is entirely up
to you.

Anybody else remember the theme song to old tv show "Baretta"?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Not following the rules can lead to you losing your claim.."

Are you sure this is true?
I've not heard that before.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think that's true. The government can't take your claim from you if you file on it & pay your taxes every year. They might try to stop you from working it with a cease & desist but you can ignore it & dig away. The original question starting the thread pertained to digging on your own claim you legally own. I don't think the government has any right to tell you you can't. I think you should fill in any holes you dug out when finished but that also may be up to you depending on the location. I say do what you want as long as your not doing anything stupid.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's something else I heard. There was a guy that had a mining claim & he was digging ground with an excavator & processing the gravel with some kind of small wash plant. He was pumping water directly out of a creek & discharging it several hundred ft from the creek. He was getting gold too. One day a government guy showed up while he was working his claim. The guy tried to tell him he couldn't do what he was doing & said he must stop. The miner told him to go ________ himself (fill in the blank) & went back to work. The government man stood around watching so the miner stopped & told him to get off his claim or he'd get the Sherriff's department to remove him. The guy left with his tail between his legs. He mined that claim the rest of the season with no more unwanted visitors. You just need to know your rights. We live in America, not communist China.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And whislt on this subject this reminds me...

I don't know why the hell my H.O.A. (Home Owners Association) gets all upset over the backhoe digging in my front lawn either.

I mean really... I pay the fees.

:P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread