Would you dig this?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Found a section of water front that was loaded with coins. Dug almost ten dollars in mostly
25 cent coins in an hour and a half. I actually got board digging them up and quit. I was also tired. It seems the local Hindus leave offerings at the waters edge of flowers, food and coins. I seen a fresh offering which the tide had not taken out yet. A couple of dollars in change thrown about it. I left it alone. You almost feel like your taking money out of a fountian. No thrill in the hunt. There could be hundreds of dollars in coins. No plans on going back. It was just to easy. Then again if I do go back, plan to give it all to charity.

Upvote 0

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be concerned about offending those offering. May be bad juju to snatch up offerings right after they're laid. Maybe akin to taking grave flowers to some.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Oit of respect I didn't tuch the fresh offering I seen. They get washed away with the tide. Coins sink into the mud.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh. An active offering site I would leave alone but that's just me. If its not you someone else will get it im sure.
If it were an old offering site unused by todays people id be more apt to dig it up. Im sure others will have differing opinions. At least for some of us theres plenty of other places to go dig.

What are they offering for?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree I would probably just move on. Bad mojo/juju/vibes in taking coins left as an offering.

Not really a believer in the whole god thing....but I'm not about to go pissing him off either. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
What about if the offerings were made of gold? Digging up the coins was boring. If some one needed the money I would not fault them for recovering it. I feel those coins have all ready served there purpose. Just shows you how the challenge of discovery is an important aspect to detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is a public beach, I'd have no problem with it. I might even be tempted to bring a shovel and sifter box! After all, someone is going to find it sooner or later. Even wishing wells and fountains get emptied from time to time. If you are going to donate it all to charity, your karma should be safe. If it's a private religious area, I'd leave it alone.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I say we bury a screen underneath the sand when no one is around. I heading over there as soon as i finish getting all these coins out of the mall fountain. Hell i was getting hit with coins as i was retrieving them. Go figure.

sent from a sending device

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta watch the karma. Keep it rounded - no jaggedy edges.

streetshark1966

Feb 12, 2015
knox county ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver, fisher f5, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say dig all the old how do you know that they didn't pray for someone to find and use it as needed

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I say dig all the old how do you know that they didn't pray for someone to find and use it as needed
My wife said that if it makes them happy leaving it there and it makes you happy digging it up its a win win situation.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with Cudamark, shovel and sifter and get to it. It's gas money and if you don't dig it someone else will.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife said that if it makes them happy leaving it there and it makes you happy digging it up its a win win situation.

Just don't wear the Ronald McDonald costume when you go, the cow is sacred in the Hindu religion. Was I the only one that saw the irony here... lol!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
In some areas, there are no laws preventing someone from entering a fountain that people throw coins into and retrieving the coins. Likewise, it's often legal to metal detect in cemetaries, and as far as I can tell it's always legal to look for dates at the abortion clinic.

Legality does not translate to tastefulness. Just because I can, doesn't mean that I want to. Of course, I'm the softie that tries to locate owners for found objects with identifying marks on them. Saps like me are ruining the hobby.

allenkeeton

Jun 26, 2014
cartersville, GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sounds like a good idea to get them. the tradition of leaving coins in fountains predates the knowledge of metal toxicity in water supplies.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In some areas, there are no laws preventing someone from entering a fountain that people throw coins into and retrieving the coins. Likewise, it's often legal to metal detect in cemetaries, and as far as I can tell it's always legal to look for dates at the abortion clinic.

Legality does not translate to tastefulness. Just because I can, doesn't mean that I want to. Of course, I'm the softie that tries to locate owners for found objects with identifying marks on them. Saps like me are ruining the hobby.

I like what you are saying about keeping things in good taste, Dave. Coins tossed in a fountain and wished-upon is merely superstitious folly, but tossing coins to the waters for religious symbolism is entirely different. Its a true judgment call. On one hand you could say, "Gosh durn it, Daisy! We done struck it rich! Yeehaw!" On the other hand, the more you know - meaning, the more self-aware that you are, and the larger world view that you have, the more likely that you would be to leave it alone.

Then again, if you are a staunch atheist, you could easily go in and rake it over with no guilty feelings at all. If you were a nihilist, I am sure you would not have a shred of remorse. If you are a person with a strong sense of empathy, and understand the importance of other peoples feelings, I'm sure you'd pass it up.

Paradox. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong. Follow your heart. :angel9:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's to say that ANYTHING we find wasn't part of some religious or equally important ritual? If I have to figure out the motives of the people who lose/throw out/offer to the gods/etc every single item I find, I may as well quit and start knitting. I have a hard time believing that a coin tossed as a religious offering is forever tainted with a "don't touch" force field around it. If you find a cross or star of David in a park or at the beach, do you rebury it? How about a wedding ring? They are just a symbol after all....kinda like our faith in the value of the coin.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Since no one really knows for sure, they could have been making offerings and praying to some clown all along.

So the clown comes along and picks up some coins but not others. People start wondering why their coins were not worthy.

Now you have poor despondent people who tossed coins that were rejected by the clown- how do you think that makes them feel? You could be responsible for unhappy marriages and countless unblessed babies turned into orphans. Do you really want this all on you?

Now go back and get the rest of the coins and restore order in their society.

Save the Babies for Clown's sake already...

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Since no one really knows for sure, they could have been making offerings and praying to some clown all along.

So the clown comes along and picks up some coins but not others. People start wondering why their coins were not worthy.

Now you have poor despondent people who tossed coins that were rejected by the clown- how do you think that makes them feel? You could be responsible for unhappy marriages and countless unblessed babies turned into orphans. Do you really want this all on you?

Now go back and get the rest of the coins and restore order in their society.

Save the Babies for Clown's sake already...

This is exactly what is wrong with the world...Clowns. Clowns are walking around throwing perfectly good coins into perfectly good detecting spots and ruining my sense of piety. I don't ask much is this world; just a table to eat at, a place to lay me head down, and a nice beach to detect. Now we got Clowns (CLOWNS!) walking around and worshiping some sort of idol and giving me a guilt trip on detecting what was once a spot to watch a manatee, sting ray, and sanctuary of detecting. Now, I'm digging every other foot, finding nothing but chump change that scares off the pooping Manatees that replenish the bacteria necessary to break down detritus and sustain the ecosystem. Clowns! Clowns I tell you. What is this world coming to?

Thanks GIB,
I personally thank you for the manatees, the stingrays, the clowns, the quarters, the sand, the surf, the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria, the new sound, the rapper, the priests of Hiroshima...now testify!
Once again GIB...you have ruined it for us all.

I'm packing up my game and heading out west...where real women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts. Cowboy baby...riding at night because I sleep all day...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would wear a sierra club tee shirt and clean the place out.If anyone has anything to say just tell them you are removing all those nasty man made coins and jewelry to protect the environment.Then keep every dime of it for your personal use.
You have recycled every item negating the need for the carbon footprint of remanufacturing them.When you get enough,take a day off work further reducing your impact on the universe.

Yup...cleaning that spot out make you a tree hugging hero !!!!Karma will not run over yer dogma.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread