Would you stop detecting if you won the lottery?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every day I pass a billboard advertisement for the lottery. Today the jackpot is somewhere around 400 million dollars. Odds are around 303 million to one that a person will win.
Lets put this into perspective, the odds of hitting back to back hole in ones on a golf course are only 19 million to one. Pretty good odds compared to the lottery.

Anyhow, we can all dream and in my dreams I have won the lottery and have more money then I know what to do with. For me, it means I get any detector I want and I get to hire a full time staff that does nothing but secure permissions. For those pesky people that don't want to give up a permission? Lawyers will be brought in and strong arm tactics will be utilized within the legal limits of the law.

So, if you won the lottery, what would you do? Would you continue to detect and if so how would your winnings affect your detecting style? Or, would you give up detecting for a leisure life that involves other hobbies instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked about this in the past with many others - I got in this for the hobby in 1975 and would continue doing it
the lottery would allow me to visit more islands and get me into even more spots - living in new England I drive by many 1600-1700 houses and farm fields
with that kind of money I wouldn't mind just pulling up to a farmer and offering a few $100 to hit property and even more for real nice old historic houses which we have 1000s up here - could probably get into some spots by making large donations and offering to donate most of the finds

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy more metal detectors and go to places that I would never have got to before the lottery just to metal detect them.....oh and I would grease palms to detect in places that are "off limits".....:laughing7:8-)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I won 'the big one' I'd be too drunk to do anything :occasion14:

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winning that kind of money would only allow me to detect wherever and whenever I wanted. I would follow the prime detecting weather and crowds around the world.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would buy an island in a tropical locale and make sure it was tab top free. Then I would get in my sail boat and make sure that all the other islands were tab top free. Then I would spend the rest of my time cleaning up all the plastic crap in the ocean.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would buy Shiloh National battle ground and have a huge forum Tnet member relic hunt. That's what Rook would do. Yea.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no winner...up over 500 million now. Somebody is gonna have good christmas this year! Damn...we need a winner that metal detects. Some of these answers are truly inspirational!

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
you bet your britches i would ! then i would go sit on the beach in the bahama's and drink margarita's all day long and look at bikini's until i passed out. but nobody here has found a good luck charm for me ? so much for that happening ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
oh i forgot ? and listen to classic rock and roll and one hit wonders !

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cant actually put this in words- but it would look like a backhoe- with a GTO body- painted red-surrounded with coils- dragging coolers-Bose speakers so I can hear those very quiet signals and Aerosmith at the same time- driving down my new beach. with a new pinpointer ! Id wear a bathrobe with an embroidered coil on the back and Rayban Wayfarers , green lenses and if its too sunny, a pith helmet and magnesium oxide on my nose, in designer colors. Or I could just put the convertible top up on the Cat/GTO. But I would absolutely not stop detecting.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd quit my job, buy every detector I've ever wanted, and spend the rest of my days detecting and gold prospecting. Oh, and I'd travel and detect around the world where I could : )

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant actually put this in words- but it would look like a backhoe- with a GTO body- painted red-surrounded with coils- dragging coolers-Bose speakers so I can hear those very quiet signals and Aerosmith at the same time- driving down my new beach. with a new pinpointer ! Id wear a bathrobe with an embroidered coil on the back and Rayban Wayfarers , green lenses and if its too sunny, a pith helmet and magnesium oxide on my nose, in designer colors. Or I could just put the convertible top up on the Cat/GTO. But I would absolutely not stop detecting.

sound like it was designed by dr zuess

chub

Billiot

Greenie
Feb 14, 2014
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I would be using the top of the line detector afterwards.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`ll tell ya Sunday morning.... the N.Y. State Power Ball is at 502 million... and i`m in X2 for Saturday nights drawing !

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may drop 2 bucks on a ticket. Who knows, if someone is going to win, it may as well be me!

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to call into work rich and quit. Then I would have time to actually go metal detecting. I work to much to get out now.

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord ,, stop? If anything more , at the worst , buy old place , dig it , sell it , buy another🤗

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If I won I would not tell a soul here. Every last one of you are nothing but filthy gold diggers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread