Wreck of British ship from Crimean War containing '30 barrels of gold' discovered

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to imagine how much gold 30 barrels is. Wow !!! One barrel would be a fortune. I guess these barrels would be smaller than im thinking or they would just rupture under there own weight. Barrels come in many sizes.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
While we often read about lost army payrolls in gold coin ("specie," back in the day) I've often wondered if the soldiers really were paid in gold.

During the Crimean War, a private earned a shilling a day. Assuming they were paid once a month, that would be a pound (20 shillings) and a half. One gold sovereign was one pound.

But what would the soldier do with that gold coin? Who would have change? Wouldn't there have been a huge run on shilling and pence coins?

Officers, of course, were paid more. But there are generally more privates than officers in an army.

The Brother Jonathan went down off the Oregon coast (Crescent City) with a US Army payroll, and the paymaster in charge of it. But that was notes - currency in an iron box. Not coin.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing bookaroo. Gold coins for soldiers ??? Wouldnt people be finding them on the battlefield ?? Your pockets would be full once you made change. More plausible that gold would be used to purchase large amounts of food ammo and supplies. Soldiers would have got the Schillings. How big is one of these barrels is what I want to know. Sure wouldnt be a hogs head. Probably small cask.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
2B: Purchasing what supplies from whom? In those days a moving army devastated a wide swath collecting food and forage. What's the famous Napoleon quote? "An army travels on its stomach." And they generally didn't buy anything - they took it. Locals weren't able to supply munitions. They were the enemy - and the Russian army was looking to be fed, as well.

The British occupied a relatively small area. They weren't going out to buy supplies. And the locals probably didn't have change for a one pound gold coin.

As I recall the situation, the British had one harbor. History tells us, by the way, this has been an historic problem for the various Russian nations - the lack of year-around ports. British vessels were backed up trying to unload their cargoes and then leave. That's why the ships that were wrecked were outside and ready prey for the storm.

In another interesting note, the army butchers slaughtered cattle as soon as they were taken off the boats, and then tossed the carcasses and entrails into the water.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if there is Gold there then it will not be reported.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2B: Purchasing what supplies from whom? In those days a moving army devastated a wide swath collecting food and forage. What's the famous Napoleon quote? "An army travels on its stomach." And they generally didn't buy anything - they took it. Locals weren't able to supply munitions. They were the enemy - and the Russian army was looking to be fed, as well.

The British occupied a relatively small area. They weren't going out to buy supplies. And the locals probably didn't have change for a one pound gold coin.

As I recall the situation, the British had one harbor. History tells us, by the way, this has been an historic problem for the various Russian nations - the lack of year-around ports. British vessels were backed up trying to unload their cargoes and then leave. That's why the ships that were wrecked were outside and ready prey for the storm.

In another interesting note, the army butchers slaughtered cattle as soon as they were taken off the boats, and then tossed the carcasses and entrails into the water.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Your points are well made bookaroo. What would be the possible reasons to send gold shipments ?? I know there is a greater chance that there is no gold at all, and that its all just made up legand, but it seems that during war time gold was often shipped overseas in great quantities for one reason or another. Im not to familiar with the crimean war so I dont know the circumstances behind it or the details on the ground at the time. I was daydreaming about giant barrels of gold. Anyway what would be the reason for a gold shipment if there was gold on this wreck ?? Political bribery ? Paying guerilla factions ? Maybe propping up some puppet regime ? If there was gold, what would be the reason. Auhhh hell, guess ill read about the crimean war. Like oddjob says if ther was gold it was probably gone before the ink dried on that article. Lol !! I still want to know how big a barrel of gold could be before it just burst under its own weight ??

Wow ... this was no small skirmish !! France, britian, ottaman empire, and Sardinia against Russia. The charge of the light brigade, the siege of savastopol, the battle of balaclava. Religious war with massive casualties. Man im glad I started to read, theres alot to take in. Ive only got through a tiny bit of it, and I can already believe there could be gold being shipped for any number of political and religious power struggles. Who knows?? Metal detecting would be incredible around these old war zones

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with most opinions here. Over time, the stories and even records somehow turn the specie into gold, especially in the press. That is what sells stories, not 30 barrels of silver coins.

This is late 1850's, so records are pretty good per se.

From the barrels I seem to remember, they were more like kegs, after all you had to carry them...

From the US Mint in New Orleans, wooden crate seems more reasonable for the day.

New_Orleans_Mint_Pictures_1.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
2B: The war was very similar to our own Civil War. From the point of view of the soldiers - like so many wars - it was terrible. The British Army was poorly equipped and its leadership was even worse. Another sixty years and the generals let down the privates again during World War I.

And, of course, the famous Charge of the Light Brigade. "It is magnificent - but it is not war" the French general is quoted as saying. I believe it was the first war with correspondents from the press.

Transport was a major problem because the British could not depend on local supply. They quickly got bogged down and a stalemate ensued. Sound familiar?

Medical and hospital facilities were pathetic. Disease was rampant (much like our own Civil War, it was more dangerous to be in camp than to be in battle) and the military paid little attention to the sick and wounded. Florence Nightingale went over there and did what she could - and became justly famous for her efforts.

After enough slaughter the British pretty much packed up and left, accomplishing nothing.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions