wreck recovery

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Wow, I wish the South Carolina laws were so leniant. I am woking on a recovery at this time and the Underwater Antiquities Act definately DOES NOT allow any type of dredge at all. The licenses required specifically mentions dredges and blowers.
But, I guess if I weren't doing the recovery legally, or was all the way out in International waters this may change things? Legality on my project is most important and therefore several licenses and rights were acquired.
I have seen dreges used in underwater recovery. There is a great example of a home-made off shore dredge at www.weymouthdiving.co.uk/images/airlift.gif
Good luck.
xXx

OP
OP
C

cm5838

gold dredging is allowed in the pacific in certain places at certain times, so i don't see where it would matter. the authorities here in ca. still view dredging as a recreation, so they usually don't check what you are actually dredging. I am not sure what the laws are regarding ocean salvage here are, but i am familiar with mining laws. It was just a thought.
Charles

tom yerian

Jun 25, 2005
Fla Keys
Detector(s) used
Whites-Fishers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PC said:
A 10 or 12 is useless unless split on the bottom, you are now going big with manpower-I have worked with many west coast divers and diamond divers, an 8 would be good if you can control the clutch and govern it properly.? Where you drop the sand is another issue both from resilting and visibility if there is in the water you are talking about.? I would say they have their places, personally I have an 8 which Ive never used for wrecks however it works great for slips, marinas ,channels etc.
Good luck
PC
A suction dredge is basically usea as a shallow water dredge, works on the venturi principle. Yo uas a S.D. in shallow to replace the use of an air lift. Air lifts don't work well in salllow water. Thus the S.D. If your work area is 25 feet plus, use an air lift, They are a far superior piece of equipment. Be careful with anythig over 8", They can be a handful;you'll find out. What is your depth range by the way?
Thank You.....Capt. Tom 8) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions