Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

I got this "quarter" as a machine reject. It is smaller diameter and thickness than a legit quarter, and it doesn't even weigh 5 grams. The material is wrong. I took it to a knowledgeable coin dealer and he said that I should send it to ANA since PCGS and NGC wouldn't deal with errors. What do you all think?
IMG_3721c.jpg IMG_3724c.jpg IMG_3727c.jpg IMG_3733c.jpg
Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I posted this a while back (2010 maybe?) and never really got any responses. The coin shop owner seemed to think that it might have been struck on a foreign planchet. I took a genuine '92 quarter to him for comparison, and the details looked good. He weighed it, and I think that it was 4.1 grams, which isn't even close. I posted the pics of the edge, because if you look closely, they line up like a zipper, and the metal rim is somewhat folded over some of the reeds in a couple of areas.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its certainly interesting, I'd keep it as an oddity.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, it is a Counterfeit but at the same time, I ask why anyone would counterfeit a 1992 Washington Quarter!!?? Surely such as coin would cost more to counterfeit than the actual face value of the coin! As far as the appearance of the Obverse and Reverse, it is one of the best Counterfeited coins outside of Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves that I have seen. However, the seam and reeding on the edge are a dead give away and especially so the reeding as the reeding doesn't line up. Therefore they made Dies of the Obverse and the Reverse, stamped thin pieces of metal with the Dies, then attempted to glue or solder the two pieces together but they failed to get the reeding lined up before the glue set or the solder hardened.

You might send the coin to Coneca, as they will exam the coin and if a true Counterfeit, they will take pictures of it, do a write up and disseminate the information to the Coin Collecting World.

Frank

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1967 quarter that looks very similar, with that same "silver" colored wash on the surface and no evidence of the copper core that should be present. It does weigh roughly what it should though.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Strange, it seems like alot of work for a Quarter....But then again, I remember when i was a kid trying to " Make " quarters for the Video Game machines at the store.

I do remember gettign my ass tore up when my dad walked in and i was melting fishing sinkers and trying to make molds with Modling Clay...lol....the good ol days.....it was probally about 89-90 ish

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Y'all,

I was hoping for a wrong planchet lead. I suspected counterfeit as well due to the reeding not lining up right. I'll hang onto it for a while. It is a good copy if that's what it is, and it doesn't seem like it would bend easily or "thunk" like the article in the Hartford Courant said, so it may be different than those. Maybe I'll put it on ebay as a "Possibly unique coin of unknown origin in poor condition" with a Buy it Now price of $1,000,000.00 USD. 8-)

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in the world would anyone want to counterfit a 90's quarter?

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hartford Courant said they were being passed at the Monkey Farm. If ya ever been in the place you would understand why someone would try to make their own quarters. Been there... Too many times... <grin>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread