DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
First time poster, long time reader. Just starting detecting last week and today discovered a toy soldier in my yard. I'm just not sure if I should leave it as is or try to clean off the corrosion. If I should clean it-- what should I use? Thanks for looking! ToySoldier.JPG

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello DCMetal and welcome to Treasurenet. Your figure was made by and American toy company called Grey Iron, and in their catalog your figure is known as G61 U.S. Machine Gunner, circa 1930-1950's. Unlike most metal soldiers of that period, Grey Iron made theirs of iron, not tin, lead, or alloy. Thus, you have the rusting. There are many posts on this site that can tell you what to soak the solider in to help dissolve the rust. Congrats, there may be more soldiers in the immediate area, so dig all iron signals! Sub 8-)

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most toy soldiers made during the period yours was made were made out of pot metal or lead. Since the one you found is made out of iron it's going to be more difficult to restore. If I had found one I would probably put it in a rock tumbler and let it tumble for about 5 hours. Check it and tumble it again until all the crust is removed. Any pitting that may occur I would fill in with putty, sand it and then primer/ paint it. That's a neat find!

Attachments

• Barclay Soldier.jpg
    Barclay Soldier.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! So great to see what it's supposed to look like. Thank you!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sub! Former KCMO & Springfield-er here. I appreciate the fantastic info. My house was built in '39 so I'm sure there will be more. I've unearthed a lot of strange things in my yard, including what I think might be shrapnel but I just can't tell. Today's find of the Machine Gunner is definitely my favorite. Cheers!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not in a big hurry, I'd soak it in vinegar for like 2 or 3 weeks, maybe brush it once or twice during that time. Vinegar is safe, AND effective.

good find.

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a couple toy soldiers also mine are tin i think.. 20140530_150909.jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your soldier,good luck in restoring him!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread