What's new

WW1 widow/service medal?

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shield color enameled black, white and red (It looks black not blue). Dated 1914 16 with silver composition 800 stamped on reverse.

WW1 service medal of sort and possible a widow medal? Any input appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 010.webp
    Picture 010.webp
    38 KB · Views: 332
  • Picture 012.webp
    Picture 012.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 337
I would say European, based on the "800" silver mark. French, Belgium? Check the tri-color flags of the nations that fought then. Beautiful either way!
 
Upvote 0
The crown tells me it is NOT American. At least not military. Any more info? Like where did you get it...?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
It was found at a current US home site. It wasn't very deep (2-3 in) so agree it was lost and unrelated to location found.

I'm thinking German, but can't find any matches.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
It was found at a current US home site. It wasn't very deep (2-3 in) so agree it was lost and unrelated to location found.

I'm thinking German, but can't find any matches.

I'm thinking German also - Red White & Black were the national colors of Imperial Germany.

The black-white-red tricolour remained the flag of Germany until the end of the German Empire in 1918, in the final days of World War I.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I've looked at all kinds of Imperial German awards, ribbons, and medals. Nothing comes even close. Now I'm wondering if it might be some kind of German-American organization. Many such groups existed back then.

My wife's grandfather was an officer in a chapter of the Hiroshimakenjinkai (Society for people from Hirshoshima-ken) in California. He was picked up by the FBI and jailed briefly in 1942 until they got it sorted out. Ha! Did I say "jailed briefly"? He spent a couple of nights in the local click, then he and his family spent 5 years in a Japanese-American internment camp in New Mexico. So much for sorting it out... :-[

Anyway, a home-grown organization pin/pendant is just another possibility. Not sure how to research that...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Ok thanks DCMatt :thumbsup:

I've been looking at medals etc. and can't find any match either. Had no idea how many kinds there were. Thanks for the lead on German/American organization.

5 years for sorting out :-[ At least it did get sorted out (better late than never) :wink:
 
Upvote 0
german colors and prussian "Imperial German" crown design .
 
Upvote 0
I agree is the Imperial German Crown...

I agree with the colors...

But I, just now after looking for a few hours, realized the size is tiny.  A charm?  A necklace pendant?

Most pre/WWI medals indicate the dates on them - most that list 1914 also list 1918... this has 1916 and I can't find that on any other German memorabilia.

Eh... still looking.
 
Upvote 0
the only 1916 mid war dated items I see are "iron for gold" --but the theirs no 1914 on em
 
Upvote 0
My thought on the date 1914 16 is that this medal was a widow medal (given to wife of fallen soldier). Maybe a smaller pendant and/or ribbon version of actual war medal? But which one?

Appreciate all your help and input :thumbsup: Patriots pendants :icon_study:
 
Upvote 0
Check this - Patriotic Ring Action Lille

17536a.jpg


At least it has the right colors and dates.

Gypsy - thanks for the hint.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
i believe this may be a Prussian veterans medal. i found a site with a variety of veteran organization medals...some in the US.
1914-1916 was the extent of the Prussian involvement on the eastern front, WWI.
the Russians fell out of the war in 1917...disease, mass desertions, revolution...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom