What's new

WW2 Air Force brooch.. I think

Badfrog

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
92
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Found this tonight and I was wondering if anybody might have some information on it. It seemed to be gold plated and it depicts a bomber of some sort. Could be a military brooch from a ww2 pilot...

brochew.jpg
 
Is this your eBay link? http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-ARMY-AI...083059365QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310083059365

ORIGINAL US Army Air Force UNIQUE Sweetheart Pin . Appears to be Boeing B-17 but according to Boeing Expert this for the 1930's XB-15 Heavy Bomber. This was prototype to prior to B-29. Was used as Transport in CONUS during WWII. Pin is Large measures 2" x 2". Marked STERLING. UNIQUE!! IN EITHER CASE NICE PIN!!Guaranteed 100% pre-1945. ASK away ANY Questions.
 

Attachments

  • wwII bomber.webp
    wwII bomber.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 298
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Yes, but as I said, I couldn't open it (restrictions for military objects).

So it would be a XB-15 as it as the same side turrets and the design is the same.

xb15-a.jpg


Even if it dosen't have a big value, it's still a incridible find to me !

THanks again.

T
 
Upvote 0
Badfrog said:
Yes, but as I said, I couldn't open it (restrictions for military objects).

So it would be a XB-15 as it as the same side turrets and the design is the same.


Even if it dosen't have a big value, it's still a incridible find to me !

THanks again.

T
Here is a pic of the bottom.
 

Attachments

  • bomber pin bottom.webp
    bomber pin bottom.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Badfrog said:
PBK, did it mention any value ?


Several pins, all non-dug with bright, original finish, were shown together. The price range was $25-60. Three of the pins were quite a bit smaller, so those are probably $25. Another pin had a pendant suspended from it, and I'd guess that's the one worth up to $60.

PBK is correct, it is a sweatheart pin. In dug condition it has very little to no value. I purchase these at local auctions for 2-5 dollars. Sterling ones go for a little more. Nice find.
 
Upvote 0
Early in the war the insignia was a circle with a white star and a red ball in the center. In 1944 and 45 they did away with the red ball as it looked much like the Japanese meatball. So, whatever model the plane was it was of an early version. I vote for the prototype B-17. I've seen them on film on the History Channel in a story about the development of the B-17. And , it's quite possible it's just a generic B-17 model too. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Nice find ! I just dug out my "Military Collectables " book by Lyndhurst - and here it is on the "sweetheart brooch" page
 

Attachments

  • Picture%20002%20(2).webp
    Picture%20002%20(2).webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
DD-777 said:
Looks like an old troop transport...
It looks like a wing modification on a DC-6. You can google and see a real one. Dare to compare. D.D. After going back an forth about 10x's I'm leaning towards B-17 because of the match up of tail and rear flaps. Monty,s post below helped . LOL. D.D.
 
Upvote 0
Here's a picture of the prototype I was talking about. Monty
 

Attachments

  • 681129066_8d1ba64543_b[1].webp
    681129066_8d1ba64543_b[1].webp
    166.3 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom