WW2 dog tag

DIE HARD

Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Managed to snag a couple hours metal detecting before being kicked off the airport property.Was sooooo worth a bucket list find. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442106132.127213.jpg

Enlisting at the age of approximately 21 on October 21, 1941, Samuel A Collins Jr was a a private in the Medical Department or Army Nurse Corps branch of the Regular Army during World War II. At the time of enlistment, Samuel A Collins Jr was divorced, without dependents, stood 71 inches tall, weighed 151 pounds, and had an education level of 2 years of high school. Samuel A Collins Jr was born in 1920, and identified as white.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had to guess, your gonna keep it?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find. Are you going to try and track down the family? That tag may really mean something to someone.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find... WHy did you get ran off?

OP
OP
D

DIE HARD

Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I'm no terrorist. lol

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's an Air Force dog tag.
My guess is that Collins joined the USAF after it was established in 1947.
The tag reflects he received his most recent tetanus shot in 1954; his blood is Type A and his religious preference: Protestant. Returning the tag to his next of kin would be a great gesture--though some kin may not want the tag for whatever reason.
Don......

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You also know his original service number (as a member of the USArmy) was 13033009 and that he enlisted in York Co., Virginia.You have a lot of information to continue your search for the next of kin--if that is your desire.
Don......

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find. I found one this summer from WW2 and with the help of Facebook, I located the widow of the dog tags owner. 90 years young and she was really excited to get it back.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice find. I found one this summer from WW2 and with the help of Facebook, I located the widow of the dog tags owner. 90 ears young and she was really excited to get it back.

That's a great story .... did you post the details here? If not you should! Guys like you that make the rest of us look good :thumbsup:

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great that he made it through the wars. Would have had 13 yrs of service in 1954 as 1953 was the end of the Korean war. Congrats on a great find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DIE HARD

Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone has research to share it would be appreciated

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is your intent to find the next of kin or just for background information?
What are the next steps in your own research (so the member wont be duplicating your effort)?
Either way, your search should be simpler since York County is the smallest county in Virginia.
Another 'plus' is that the population of York County in 1930 (I don't have the '40 pop figure) was only 7,615 people; and the great increase in that county's population didn't begin until the 40s.
Don....

OP
OP
D

DIE HARD

Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your intent to find the next of kin or just for background information?
What are the next steps in your own research (so the member wont be duplicating your effort)?
Either way, your search should be simpler since York County is the smallest county in Virginia.
Another 'plus' is that the population of York County in 1930 (I don't have the '40 pop figure) was only 7,615 people; and the great increase in that county's population didn't begin until the 40s.
Don....
I'm just not very good at research. The little time I had I found some, but not much. Ill try again later today when I get back from the ghost town.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Die Hard,

Here's a few suggestions: Contact the Veterans of Foreign War post and the American Legion post in York County.
Tell them you are attempting to return this service tag to the next of kin. That should prompt a positive response.

Check out the 1940 census and find his address and perhaps the names of others that were living with him.
Check out the local cemeteries for the same name. If there is a record of his burial, it will usually contain a contact name. If you find his date of death, that will open other doors for additional research--like the local paper obituary column--and the mention of next of kin in that obit.
Good luck.
Don.....

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't post the find and return of the dog tag here, but when I put out the name on Facebook, it almost went viral with members of the family contacting me. The widow of the owner lives about 5 miles from me with her daughter. When I returned it she was really excited. This lady was a storehouse of knowledge about the area where I found it and how it possibly got there. I spent about 4 enjoyable hours with her and her family while she reminisced about her husband and family. When you return something like this it really makes the returner feel great. It was a great experience.
That's a great story .... did you post the details here? If not you should! Guys like you that make the rest of us look good :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know that experience and feeling well. If you wish, click on the "+" mark for my Honorable Mentions and you can read two occasions where, in each occasion, I returned US Army service tags to either the WWII soldier himself or another soldier's heirs (both tags found in France). That's why I'm pushing for the OP to do the research since I know the 'reward' can be so satisfying--in seeing the joy brought to the recipients.

Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread