What's new

WWI or WWII Bullets

codywhite3914

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2011
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Bern NC
Found these next to my other WWI or WWII thing. 4 different bullets.
 

Attachments

  • April 2011 076.webp
    April 2011 076.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 757
Got any other info such as measurements? Juss "bullets" is tough. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Sure do, not sure exactly how to measure.
Large Bullet- 22mm long, 9mm wide, has 4 horizontal lines and is the heaviest .
2nd Largest Bullet, 4 total,- 16 or 17mm long, 11mm wide, has a deeper bottom.
3rd Largest Bullet- 15mm long, 9mm wide, has hundreds of little vertical lines going all around the bullet at the bottom
smallest bullet- appears to be just a ball. one side has some damage. 13mm round ball.
 
Upvote 0
Do you have any idea if they might be Civil War or World War? There is a lot of civil war history in the area.
 
Upvote 0
All of the non-ball ones appear to be metal-jacketed 20th-century bullets. Looks like a copper jacket over the bullet's internal lead body.
 
Upvote 0
11mm would correspond to .45 cal - in service from 1911 to present.

Jacketed bullets of any caliber are 1890ish and later.

There were no WWI or WWII battles in the US, so what you have could be military or civilian. Whenever the military adopts a cartridge it is an instant hit with civilians because of cheap and available supply. I currently hunt and plink with several military surplus rifles. One from 1891, one from 1898 and another from 1939. I buy cans of surplus ammunition with WWII and Korean era headstamps.

You can only say a bullet is from "no earlier than. . . " You can seldon end date them. (I also shoot a flintlock that is identical in every way to rifles from the 1760's. Someone will enjoy detecting my target backdrop in the future and saying "Revolutionary War!"
 
Upvote 0
We have had some Spanish American War camps here in SC. I have found some of the shrapnel shells that they had practiced with. During my investigation, I came across some shell schematics of an 18 pound shell. The 1/2" ball that you found could be a round from a shrapnel shell they packed or practice fired. I posted the picture. Maybe, hope it helps!
 

Attachments

  • 18pdr.webp
    18pdr.webp
    108.4 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
I forgot to mention that the 18 pound shell would have been used from early 190? to until shortly after WWI.

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
The 9mm bullets are well.....9mm bullets, possibly 9mm Luger fairly common jacketed bullet and now the caliber of our armed forces. The armed forces went to 9mm because of standardization for NATO. The .45 ACP was a much better man stopper and is still in use by our special forces squads by choice. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the bullet knowledge. I'm sure these wont be my last bullets to dig up. Only been hunting for about a month and cant get enough. Take care
 
Upvote 0
I do a lot of detecting in areas where old deer camps were set up and I find a ton of bullets. I haven't been in a hunting camp yet where someone didn't get in a little target practice. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom