WWII Brooch/Necklace......Significance?....A story behind it?

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Sorry not a dug find....but has aroused my curiosity. Any info on this would be appreciated....it's about the size of a quarter; it has some lettering on the inside...4 or 5 letters before the word co. that I can't make out; then below that 1/20th 12kt on Sterling...this is all in the same area under the hinge in the pin. Looks like it could be worn as a necklace or brooch. Thank you

Attachments

• CIMG0015 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0015 (Small).JPG
    20 KB · Views: 348
  • CIMG0016-1 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0016-1 (Small).JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 344

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like ww2 pilot wings. Neat, the way made a pendant out of it! I found a pin,just the wing in the woods,a few weeks ago. Cool how,you guys and girls,find the same kind of things!

Upvote 0

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see the WW2 wings have a shield in the middle of the wings not a propeller. Some of the WW1 wings do show the prop though..

PLL

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I'm thinking most likely WW1 era "sweetheart item" due to its design -- made for a pilots ---mom --wife--girlfreind ----it was gold plate over sterling (925) silver --

Upvote 0

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see any WW2 wings with a prop in the middle just a variety of shields. Some of the WW1 wings did have wings with props..

WW1 wings
ww1wings2.jpg

ww1wings.jpg

WW2 wings
ww2wings.jpg

ww2navywings.jpg

PLL

Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

pieces like this were called sweetheart pins...they were made to represent all branches of the services during WWII.
that is a nice one. wings with a prop were training squadrons, or officer collar tabs.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread