What's new

WWII Brooch/Necklace......Significance?....A story behind it?

tabfinder

Full Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
243
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Sorry not a dug find....but has aroused my curiosity. Any info on this would be appreciated....it's about the size of a quarter; it has some lettering on the inside...4 or 5 letters before the word co. that I can't make out; then below that 1/20th 12kt on Sterling...this is all in the same area under the hinge in the pin. Looks like it could be worn as a necklace or brooch. Thank you
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0015 (Small).webp
    CIMG0015 (Small).webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 375
  • CIMG0016-1 (Small).webp
    CIMG0016-1 (Small).webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 362
Looks like ww2 pilot wings. Neat, the way made a pendant out of it! I found a pin,just the wing in the woods,a few weeks ago. Cool how,you guys and girls,find the same kind of things!
 
Upvote 0
The 1/20th 12kt - Sterling Silver means that it is gold plated Sterling.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
From what I can see the WW2 wings have a shield in the middle of the wings not a propeller. Some of the WW1 wings do show the prop though..

PLL
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking most likely WW1 era "sweetheart item" due to its design -- made for a pilots ---mom --wife--girlfreind ----it was gold plate over sterling (925) silver --
 
Upvote 0
I didn't see any WW2 wings with a prop in the middle just a variety of shields. Some of the WW1 wings did have wings with props..

WW1 wings
ww1wings2.webp

ww1wings.webp


WW2 wings
ww2wings.webp

ww2navywings.webp

PLL
 
Upvote 0
Very nice looking pin. I would suggest that it is a sweetheart pin.
Sweetheart pins were very popular back then.
 
Upvote 0
hey gang,
I sent a email to ww2wings.com and he confirmed that it is a WW2 wing set not WW1.... Just a FYI..

PLL
 
Upvote 0
pieces like this were called sweetheart pins...they were made to represent all branches of the services during WWII.
that is a nice one. wings with a prop were training squadrons, or officer collar tabs.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom