Xp Deus depth question.

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys so i picked up the Deus 1. Heard it was an all around great machine so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I wanted Deus II but I wanted to check the I first.

So was in the yard which is packed with signals found a sorta blank spot and through a silver dime at 6” and went through the programs and it wasn’t the best signal I honestly probably would of passed it up. I changed silencer and reactivity and it still wasn’t all that great. Tried a couple other things like deep program which made it a little better. My thing is I seen a video of a guy with a ORX doing a test at 10+” merc and he was picking it no problem. But he did not show him putting it at that depth I believe it was calabash digger.

So the ? Is is this kind of normal for a 6” dime not to be busting threw at ease. My Nox 800 had similar results. What you guys think. Have you done test at all.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were the soil conditions? My AT Pro will detect a dime at 8" if the ground is saturated, but I'd be lucky to find one at 4" if the ground is bone dry. Just a thought...

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys so i picked up the Deus 1. Heard it was an all around great machine so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I wanted Deus II but I wanted to check the I first.

So was in the yard which is packed with signals found a sorta blank spot and through a silver dime at 6” and went through the programs and it wasn’t the best signal I honestly probably would of passed it up. I changed silencer and reactivity and it still wasn’t all that great. Tried a couple other things like deep program which made it a little better. My thing is I seen a video of a guy with a ORX doing a test at 10+” merc and he was picking it no problem. But he did not show him putting it at that depth I believe it was calabash digger.

So the ? Is is this kind of normal for a 6” dime not to be busting threw at ease. My Nox 800 had similar results. What you guys think. Have you done test at all.
What frequency were you using? Silver is best detected at 4KHz but 8KHz is also good.
12KHz is best for nickels but 18KHz also works well.
In addition, if you have RFI nearby such as WIFI or internet cable underground, you may not hear it on your detector, but it will interfere with its detection range.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus 1 & 2 are similar in some respects-but really different in many other ways.

Ground conditions wet/dry has a lot to do with depth.
Freshly planted finds also somewhat.

When you stated "sorta blank spot" what do you actually mean.
Was there still iron under the dime, beside, near?

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil size matter and type of coil. I use the smaller HF coil I sacrifice depth but I'll catch a lot of small silver and gold better than other machines. But I do notice my AT Pro does get better depth with dimes. Either I too don't know how to use it well still or it just doesn't do well with certain things depth wise. Iron it will find super deep for whatever reason.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Hard to get the feel of a deus II using the deus I. They are really two different machines. One is only single frequency vlf the other is a multi frequency along with other features, which is a big difference In how they perform in different soil conditions and types of hunting. The deus II actually can be used as a single frequency.The only thing you can really compare between the two is how they feel in your hand not performance, depth, etc.
I just wouldn’t base your thoughts and feelings about the D2 only using the D1.
Like saying like to get an idea how a Chevy Corvette drives so ill try the Chevy Malibu first.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most machines detect to virtually the same depth, regardless of manufacturer, model, entry level, or expert. The technology determining depth has remained the same for decades and is available to all makers. So the actual consideration isn't whether one is deeper than another, but what other technologies one detector has over another in areas like separation, reactivity, discrimination, etc., all giving the impression of greater depth.

As a basic rule, the higher-end machines have more of these capabilities, enabling them to appear to detect deeper when in actuality it's their added adjustability that enables the user to get more out of the detector, which often results is a deeper find that a lesser machine may have missed due to things like masking or soil mineralization.

All the comparisons you see online, or hear others talking about, are all anecdotal. For every video you see "proving" one detector is deeper than another, there's another video "proving" just the opposite. And a big part of these anecdotal differences of opinion is how well the user understands and utilizes the adjustability available to them.

So I'm really saying this--one person may be able to find more, and at greater depth, with a basic detector than they would with a top of the line machine because they don't understand or want to bother with the learning curve needed to utilize the top of the line detector's full potential.

My own anecdote about detector depth: I currently use both the Deus 1 and Deus 2. I believe they both detect to the same depth. But, due to updated technologies within the Deus 2, I believe I find more targets than with the Deus 1 because the tones are stronger and more defined. With the Deus 1 the sound is often fainter and sometimes somewhat scratchy, but it still detects the object. So they both detect the object but one is a clearer signal than the other so I might not dig it if I feel the signal is iffy.

Detect with the machine you're most comfortable with, regardless of what others claim the capabilities to be.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Most machines detect to virtually the same depth, regardless of manufacturer, model, entry level, or expert. The technology determining depth has remained the same for decades and is available to all makers. So the actual consideration isn't whether one is deeper than another, but what other technologies one detector has over another in areas like separation, reactivity, discrimination, etc., all giving the impression of greater depth.

As a basic rule, the higher-end machines have more of these capabilities, enabling them to appear to detect deeper when in actuality it's their added adjustability that enables the user to get more out of the detector, which often results is a deeper find that a lesser machine may have missed due to things like masking or soil mineralization.

All the comparisons you see online, or hear others talking about, are all anecdotal. For every video you see "proving" one detector is deeper than another, there's another video "proving" just the opposite. And a big part of these anecdotal differences of opinion is how well the user understands and utilizes the adjustability available to them.

So I'm really saying this--one person may be able to find more, and at greater depth, with a basic detector than they would with a top of the line machine because they don't understand or want to bother with the learning curve needed to utilize the top of the line detector's full potential.

My own anecdote about detector depth: I currently use both the Deus 1 and Deus 2. I believe they both detect to the same depth. But, due to updated technologies within the Deus 2, I believe I find more targets than with the Deus 1 because the tones are stronger and more defined. With the Deus 1 the sound is often fainter and sometimes somewhat scratchy, but it still detects the object. So they both detect the object but one is a clearer signal than the other so I might not dig it if I feel the signal is iffy.

Detect with the machine you're most comfortable with, regardless of what others claim the capabilities to be.
I was referring more to the fact of say for example saltwater beach or certain mineralized grounds some frequencies or a multi frequency may be more stable therefore giving more depth.
Of Course all things being equal coil size etc should be the same depth and results.
The D2 has more capabilities so where the D1 might be unstable or limited due to ground conditions and you might have to turn down sensitivity and therefore losing depth the D2 with more options to better deal with different ground conditions and maximizing depth.
Otherwise why even have or get a D2 if it doesn’t do anything different. Is the D2 just hype and a waste of money, or is the extra money just for the waterproof feature.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was referring more to the fact of say for example saltwater beach or certain mineralized grounds some frequencies or a multi frequency may be more stable therefore giving more depth.
Of Course all things being equal coil size etc should be the same depth and results.
The D2 has more capabilities so where the D1 might be unstable or limited due to ground conditions and you might have to turn down sensitivity and therefore losing depth the D2 with more options to better deal with different ground conditions and maximizing depth.
Otherwise why even have or get a D2 if it doesn’t do anything different. Is the D2 just hype and a waste of money, or is the extra money just for the waterproof feature.
I think the performance differences between the Deus 1 and Deus 2 are much more subtle, in fact I find there's virtually no difference in their capabilities, but the Deus 2 is easier to use, mainly due to the audio--but not due to its capabilities. I don't have to pay as much attention with the Deus 2, but the Deus 1 is just as capable only it needs you to pay more attention to the signals.

The adjustability is very similar between the two, meaning they're both virtually identical when considering reactivity, separation, depth, etc., but with some added minor adjustments in some of the expert options that can make subtle differences. The only real difference I've found as far as capabilities go is that the audio is much clearer on the Deus 2, meaning you're less likely to ignore what might be an iffy signal on the Deus 1. But they'll both give a signal.

I see no discernable difference in stability or separation due to ground conditions but that just may be applicable to my specific ground conditions. I also don't see multi-frequency adding depth, but it certainly does make detecting easier since there's no need to go over the land multiple times using multiple individual frequencies, hoping for different target types each time. Single frequencies can often help add depth for specific targets but it's far less convenient than multi-frequency. I don't really beach detect so I can't personally say anything about wet sand detecting, although the Deus 2 is said to be a big improvement over the Deus 1.

Other than the very important (to me at least) benefit I stated above, about the audio making it much easier to determine when a target is worth digging, a lot of the added cost of the Deus 2 is the updated, shock protected control unit--waterproof to 66 feet--and the simultaneous multi-frequency.

I would have been perfectly content with the Deus 1 for many years to come, except I'm a sucker for new technologies, so I had no choice--I had an irrational need for a Deus 2.

These are of course my personal views and I'm sure some (or many) will see things differently. Like I said, it's all anecdotal.

OP
OP
C

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all your replies. There are a lot of different thoughts in the room. I appreciate all of it. So I think my area really plays a roll in my performance. Ground is highly mineralized. More than usual EMI and I have came to the conclusion that this is what causes performance decrease. Not the machine itself. But it is a large area. Very sensitive machine. But highly adjustable. I’d say it is a PRO machine.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Deus 1, and have been hunting old "hunted out" spots with great success for the last two years. I regularly dig minie balls and buttons at 12-16", so I am quite happy with the depth ability. The thing I do is listen for the repeatable hi tone chirp signals that the machine will *not* lock on to and give a number. Those are almost always very deep, and very old. If the machine doesnt read a number, but it sounds good, DIG IT!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both DEUS I and DEUS II and definitely the DEUS II goes deeper than the I, My friends NOX 800 goes deeper than the DEUS I, but the II matches it for depth..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread