What's new

Yankee Camp - Silver, Brass, and Lead

MidMoTreasure

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
339
Reaction score
725
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gone a month without detecting due mostly to the weather here in Mid-MO. The urge to dig was relentless, so I called up my friend for a fix. We met up last Saturday, before our big snow, without any real plans. The fields were too wet, so we figured woods would be the way to go. He had discovered a big early war Yankee camp several years ago — a site that ACTUALLY was “just over that next hill.” The property changed hands a while back, but he had a connection with the new owner. On a whim, he called up the owner, and he had secured permission for us to be there in 15 minutes.

We arrived and hiked through down a snowy trail. The place was wooded and overgrown, and I was beginning to dread a day of hard digging. Then, we spotted an area that had been cleared. Right in the “sweet spot” of the old camp. I turned on my CTX, did a noise cancel, and took my first swing. Immediately, I got a 12-38 signal at 5 inches. I popped the plug, expecting to find a screw cap or can slaw. I was amazed when an 1854 half dime popped out — I hadn’t even been swinging for a minute! I look over at my partner and he was elbows deep in a hole pulling out a bullet. It was going to be one of those days.

And what a day it was. I got my coil over several bullets, my first artillery coat button, and a neat powder flask lid. My find of the day was a folded square of brass/copper that I thought was junk at first. I showed my friend — a digger with 45 years of experience — and he told me to clean it before I called it junk. I got home and started scrubbing the mud away, and the impression of an eagle appeared! I called him up, and he gave me advice on how to unfold it without damaging it. After some searching through the books, he identified it as an early militia belt plate, circa 1820’s. He guessed that some Yankee went off to war with his father’s or grandfather’s old belt buckle and tossed it at the camp when it broke.

My partner also pulled an artillery coat button in much better shape, some dropped Colt revolving rifle bullets, and other nice bullets of various calibers. Definitely a good Civil War dig.

IMG_20200204_200230408.webp

IMG_20200204_200243341.webp
 
Upvote 55
Congrats. Sounds like a "gold strike" to me.
 
Congrats on a great CW dig! You did a great job unfolding that plate:occasion14:
 
Wow what a way to start a hunt and then after the hunt you find the true find of the day! Amazing history there!
 
Congrats on a great CW dig! You did a great job unfolding that plate:occasion14:

Thanks! My partner recommended paint sticks. He said go slow, just a little at a time, and take time in between each push. It took a while, but I got it flat.
 
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!
 
Wow! Great recoveries. Congrats!
 
I had gone a month without detecting due mostly to the weather here in Mid-MO. The urge to dig was relentless, so I called up my friend for a fix. We met up last Saturday, before our big snow, without any real plans. The fields were too wet, so we figured woods would be the way to go. He had discovered a big early war Yankee camp several years ago — a site that ACTUALLY was “just over that next hill.” The property changed hands a while back, but he had a connection with the new owner. On a whim, he called up the owner, and he had secured permission for us to be there in 15 minutes.

We arrived and hiked through down a snowy trail. The place was wooded and overgrown, and I was beginning to dread a day of hard digging. Then, we spotted an area that had been cleared. Right in the “sweet spot” of the old camp. I turned on my CTX, did a noise cancel, and took my first swing. Immediately, I got a 12-38 signal at 5 inches. I popped the plug, expecting to find a screw cap or can slaw. I was amazed when an 1854 half dime popped out — I hadn’t even been swinging for a minute! I look over at my partner and he was elbows deep in a hole pulling out a bullet. It was going to be one of those days.

And what a day it was. I got my coil over several bullets, my first artillery coat button, and a neat powder flask lid. My find of the day was a folded square of brass/copper that I thought was junk at first. I showed my friend — a digger with 45 years of experience — and he told me to clean it before I called it junk. I got home and started scrubbing the mud away, and the impression of an eagle appeared! I called him up, and he gave me advice on how to unfold it without damaging it. After some searching through the books, he identified it as an early militia belt plate, circa 1820’s. He guessed that some Yankee went off to war with his father’s or grandfather’s old belt buckle and tossed it at the camp when it broke.

My partner also pulled an artillery coat button in much better shape, some dropped Colt revolving rifle bullets, and other nice bullets of various calibers. Definitely a good Civil War dig.

View attachment 1800150

View attachment 1800151

Very Very Nice Finds.
 
Great relic hunt with a cool coin thrown in, congrats! :occasion14:
 
Beautiful digs!! Great job on the plate :icon_thumright:
 
Nice digs, especially the militia plate!
 
Awesome! Congrats!
 
Half dime is really cool that plate and those bullets are freakin awesome good job fixing it. I wish there was stuff like that by me I would never sleep Thanks for sharing your cool finds. Well done.... Tommy
 
Nice job all around!
 
Love it! So many bullets and a beautiful seated silver to boot. Well done!!
 
Nice digs,

That plate turned out great.

Jer
 
Congrats on a wonderful hunt!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom