Yanks in Northern Virginia

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all, as you have read from Mach 1 Pilot we all made a trip down to Northern Virginia for a hunt. At first the day was pretty busted, then everything kicked in gear and we started getting some good stuff.

I got two 3 ringers: one shot and one dropped, spencer cartridge, part of a metal horse comb, and some iron pieces with questionable ID's. Any help on those would be appretiated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Culpeper 016.JPG
    Culpeper 016.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 726
Upvote 0

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a long way to come down for some civil war relics!!! Dedication! What type of sites do you hunt in PA? I am down in Northern VA and only hunt CW sites.

OP
OP
DeArmitt Pa

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well for the most part I hunt old homestead/historical sites, most are 1850's or older. I have hunted on a property, still there and lived in today, that was built in 1797 by a Hessian soilder after the revolutionary war. Another site, still there and lived in, was a old tavern built in 1789. We have a lot of old homestead sites that we hit on a regular basis.

This CW hunt was my third. My father-in-law and I have gone on two others in Maryland. The strangest thing is, my best CW find is the back half of a CS belt plate that was found near the place I live. No where close to a battle field.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I'm glad you all were able to get into some civil war stuff while you were down here. It's getting hard to find a really good site.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
exciting finds for sure, and like relic hunting which i enjoy the fun is comin up on the id...ing ..well done man...

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, top left picture looks like a candle holder.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you would have swung by Maine first I would have made the trip ! I have gone a lot further for a lot less !! nice civil war recoveries !! MaineRelic.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I found one of those iron relics just like the one in the top right corner. I found it last week in a colonial site. Do you know what it might be? If you find out let me know.
Thanks
Dman

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahh, we found a piece identical to his iron piece in the upper left of the photo, with the curled piece on top and the diamond shaped piece with a hole through it. I hope buckleboy sees this post as now I'm thinking we need to go back up to this site and hunt again. We didn't find anything else, but if this is an indication of age, we need to know.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Hey DeArmitt
I was looking a this again and I believe the piece of iron on the lower right, beside the fired bullet, is a link to a chain used on farm equipment. It could have been from pretty much anything like a haybaler or even a conveyor to put hay bales in a barn loft.
Did you all go to Culpeper? If so you might have come within a mile or 2 of my house depending on how you went down there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also dug a piece like the one in the upper left of your photo. It was found at a housesite several years ago and I was never able to ID it, but I suspected it to be farming-related.

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread