Yard sale stunner...

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the sub-forum and after looking at some of the posts an old bell rang...About 25 years ago in Miami, I was driving the wife out for some errands. She saw a yard sale a couple a blocks from the house and I pulled over to appease her. Walking around with her, I spotted an old binocular case. The ragged looking leather case was split and falling apart and lying next to a table near the tools everyone was clawing through. I opened up the lid to satisfy my curiosity and almost choked. I slid out the moldy looking binos, took one look thru the lenses and slid them back in the case. I asked a woman watching me over at the money table how much she wanted for the "busted" glasses. She looked at the split case and looking around said "just give me $10". I went to put them down and she said "Ok.. 5 bucks". I pulled out a Lincoln and told my wife "let's go". . . She saw the look on my face and headed for the car. As we got in she asked what the heck I found. "Just a $500 pair of binoculars for 5 bucks" She was skeptical until I hung up the phone the following Monday. What I came across was a post-war pair of 10X Zeiss Dekarem binoculars. The US repair facility wanted several hundred dollars to refurbish them. The glass was clear as a bell and after carefully cleaning the mold from around the focal optic wheels and lubricating everything as best I could I had a perfectly servicable pair of binos for almost 20 years. At a gun show in Kansas City a couple of years ago I sold them to a surplus dealer for $575! The only other find was a 1941 English language (from a German publisher) copy of Mein Kampf at an estate sale. The young girl running the sale had no idea what it was. I got it and a 1941 copy of the Navy BlueJacket manual for $10. I sold those at another gun show for $100. So needless to say if the wife wants to stop, we stop!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread