What's new

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!! GEORGIA is on my mind!!!

Devonrex

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
351
Reaction score
1,263
Golden Thread
4
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a good one today! I was inspired my good friend who dug the CS Richmond Sharps Carbine on Saturday. I was about ready to give up for the day and I said "lets give it 10 more minutes". I'm sure glad I did! This button was 10 inches deep under a maze of roots and was the last signal of the day! 3 piece,25mm, and very puffy with stand out shank. After a gentle cleaning the button turned out to be is a GA1! This coat Georgia is absolutely blinding with 90 percent gilt! What's even more awesome is the back is silver washed with a backmark of W H Smith New York! I hit it out of the park with this find! A GA1 in this condition is super rare but to have the back silver washed makes it even 100 times more rarer! They did make some with silver gilt on the front and the back but this is the first time I have ever seen one like this with gold gilt on the front and silver on the back! Its been over 7 years since I found my last Georgia button. This is the second GA1 I have found. The first I found in 2005 and although it did have 95 percent gilt on the face with a stand out shank as well , the back was not silver washed. If you look carefully at the bullets you can see a Carcano that has been partially melted in a campsite fire. After finding this I thought the button might be a North Carolina staff. I also found 3 Georgia Teat bullets and a Gardner so the Georgia Teat bullets and the Georgia button tell the story of who was mostly occupying this spot. All in all I dug over 30 bullets, a beautiful GA1 coat seal, a 2 piece flower button, and made some wonderful memories. I will be taking this button to the North South Trader show in Richmond this weekend to be photographed by Steve Sylvia! Hope to see a few of yall there! HH Devonrex
 

Attachments

  • 2015_07140152 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140152 - Copy.webp
    107.8 KB · Views: 355
  • 2015_07140148 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140148 - Copy.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 2015_07140137 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140137 - Copy.webp
    126.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 2015_07140140 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140140 - Copy.webp
    97.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 2015_07140130 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140130 - Copy.webp
    439.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Upvote 66
MAN DEV!!!

You really did find a SUPER NICE piece of History, & A SWEET GA Button at that.

Came out in Great Shape / Great Cleaning job as well.

Look's almost New.

Being from Ga, I hope to dig one Someday & if it turns out like yours , I may just hang up my Detector on the wall.

Could say so much more.

A Double Banner Find IMO.
Davers
 
Amazed

I just have to add That is i think the most beautiful CW button I have Seen Posted Here .
The details are awesome.

Is that the button in the first pic, with the Bullets?

If I popped something that looked like that Last picture out of the Ground, I'd Wet myself.

Just WOW!!!! Would love to leave that one to my Son.

Davers
 
I just have to add That is i think the most beautiful CW button I have Seen Posted Here .
The details are awesome.

Is that the button in the first pic, with the Bullets?

If I popped something that looked like that Last picture out of the Ground, I'd Wet myself.

Just WOW!!!! Would love to leave that one to my Son.

Davers
Davers that is the button with the bullets in a group shot of what I found that day at my new site. Yes when the button popped out of the ground as you see it in the picture by itself, time did indeed stand still for some time. I got a video of the find and as I was taking it I noticed my hands were trembling! I was that excited! I have been metal detecting for Civil War and Rev War relics for 30 years now and I can tell you this button is in the top 3 finds that I have ever found! Thanks for your kind words! Dev
 
Man, that button is fantastic! Way to work it outta those roots!

Banner, I say!
 
nice looking button :thumbsup:
 
Fantastic button!!!!!! It's amazing how well some relics hold up. I have found stuff 10 yards apart that looks like it came from different states. Finds like that are what keep us going. Enjoy the ride my friend.
 
Killer button John congrats. They don't come out much prettier than that.
-Evan
 
Congrats on an incredible button John! I'm sure that has you motivated to go back and revisit that site. Maybe a nice CS plate is hiding there ....
 
That is incredible
 
Beautiful button. I'd be thrilled.
 
Great find... No such buttons like that up here[emoji31]
 
Still listening for my FIRST one. Absolutely beautiful button, dude!
 
What a beauty. Looks almost like the day they sewed it on the coat. Congrats!
 
That sure is a Georgia peach button. Sweet digs.
 
Wow DRex that is a stunner! Banner vote from this guy. Congrats on one more rare and beautiful addition to an already amazing collection brother
 
Sweet Georgia! Congrats John! You're still killing it up there.
 
That is one of, if not the best dug button I've seen! Truly fantastic. Congratulations are in order
 
Absolutely Fantastic...enough said!Congratulations. :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom