What's new

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!! GEORGIA is on my mind!!!

Devonrex

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
351
Reaction score
1,263
Golden Thread
4
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a good one today! I was inspired my good friend who dug the CS Richmond Sharps Carbine on Saturday. I was about ready to give up for the day and I said "lets give it 10 more minutes". I'm sure glad I did! This button was 10 inches deep under a maze of roots and was the last signal of the day! 3 piece,25mm, and very puffy with stand out shank. After a gentle cleaning the button turned out to be is a GA1! This coat Georgia is absolutely blinding with 90 percent gilt! What's even more awesome is the back is silver washed with a backmark of W H Smith New York! I hit it out of the park with this find! A GA1 in this condition is super rare but to have the back silver washed makes it even 100 times more rarer! They did make some with silver gilt on the front and the back but this is the first time I have ever seen one like this with gold gilt on the front and silver on the back! Its been over 7 years since I found my last Georgia button. This is the second GA1 I have found. The first I found in 2005 and although it did have 95 percent gilt on the face with a stand out shank as well , the back was not silver washed. If you look carefully at the bullets you can see a Carcano that has been partially melted in a campsite fire. After finding this I thought the button might be a North Carolina staff. I also found 3 Georgia Teat bullets and a Gardner so the Georgia Teat bullets and the Georgia button tell the story of who was mostly occupying this spot. All in all I dug over 30 bullets, a beautiful GA1 coat seal, a 2 piece flower button, and made some wonderful memories. I will be taking this button to the North South Trader show in Richmond this weekend to be photographed by Steve Sylvia! Hope to see a few of yall there! HH Devonrex
 

Attachments

  • 2015_07140152 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140152 - Copy.webp
    107.8 KB · Views: 355
  • 2015_07140148 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140148 - Copy.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 2015_07140137 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140137 - Copy.webp
    126.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 2015_07140140 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140140 - Copy.webp
    97.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 2015_07140130 - Copy.webp
    2015_07140130 - Copy.webp
    439.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Upvote 66
WOW!!! That is a Beautiful Button! - Stunning detail. Congratulations!!!
 
Really nice button.
The other finds ain't too shabby either.
Congrats.
 
Wow !! That is an Awesome button and other relics also. I always enjoy your posts. You hard research and hard work really shows through your superb recoveries.
 
That is a rare button indeed. Great finds on those bullets and balls also.
 
That sir is a gorgeous button!! Congrats!! :occasion14:
 
LIKE AN OLE BUTTON FIND KEEPS GEORGIA , GEORGIA ON MY MIND. DARN NICE BUTTON THERE REX.
 
The gilt and detail is fantastic. You did a nice restoration and cleaning. It gives one hope to see a button come out with all the gilt. And a rare one at that with the back.
Congrats!
 
That pile of old lead would normally make me read a thread for a second time, but your beautiful button stole the show, and rightly so! The condition makes us all stop and wonder how miracles like this happen. Congrats to you.
 
That is a spectacular button!
 
that button is incredible, so much detail left on it! wow wow wow!

congrats to ya!
 
Nice condition
 
Still Amazed.

In the Rap World that Button would be Known as a "A STUNNA".

This post got me hyped to go out yesterday & hunt an area where I found my only Ga teat base Bullets .
No GA or any other button, but Did get a 95% fired Spencer. & Some Shotgun Brass/ 22lr's That I missed in the Past on that site.

I still say Banner! Would look so good up top for awhile.
Davers
 
Killer button John congrats. They don't come out much prettier than that.
-Evan
Thanks Evan! I'm very happy with this button! You know how hard it is to find a button in this condition! After 153 years in the ground most don't fare as well!
 
Congrats on an incredible button John! I'm sure that has you motivated to go back and revisit that site. Maybe a nice CS plate is hiding there ....
Thanks Bill! This is the best button I've found since the British Royal Navy Button I found in March! Incidentally that will be pictured in the upcoming edition of a North South Trader. I'm gonna get this button photographed Sunday! Hope tge summer is treating you well. I have really enjoyed reading all your articles over the past few months!
 
Still listening for my FIRST one. Absolutely beautiful button, dude!
Parsonwalker, thanks for the kind words. I've been fortunate to dig a total of 4 Georgia button in my y 30 years of digging. One even is dated on the back 1861! But This button is unquestionably the rarest and best. Civil war relic hunters know just how rare a button this is having a gold face and a silver back! I will be going back soon!
 
Wow !! That is an Awesome button and other relics also. I always enjoy your posts. You hard research and hard work really shows through your superb recoveries.
Thanks Getty! This button is in my opinion a banner candidate! It is a beautiful and ultra rare button.
 
Last edited:
That is a fantastic button in fantastic condition. Bravo!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom