What's new

✅ SOLVED Yellow and white gemstones inside rock?

jnicholes

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
530
Reaction score
1,828
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7544.webp


IMG_7543.webp


I need someone who knows about rocks again.

This is a rock that a good friend of mine gave to me before he passed away in 2018. He told me what it was, but I forgot. I decided to put it in the rock tumbler, because I could only see the white part embedded in the rock.

During step two of the tumbling process, the rock tumbler actually failed. I took everything out, rinsed everything off, and I noticed that on the rock that my friend gave me there was a yellow part that was not there before. It was obviously exposed through the tumbling process.

Any idea what the yellow is? It looks like a gemstone of some kind. I’m also curious about the white part.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, the picture is after the tumbler failed. I do not have a pre-tumble picture.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7544.webp
    IMG_7544.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
Not knowing where your from , I'll suggest taking it the closest Colledge lab to have them positively I/D. this item for you! I have done this in the past and they said they love to do these kinds of things ! It sure beats the rum dum every day chores at work !
 
Upvote 0
Not knowing where your from , I'll suggest taking it the closest Colledge lab to have them positively I/D. this item for you! I have done this in the past and they said they love to do these kinds of things ! It sure beats the rum dum every day chores at work !

Do you think a college lab in Twin Falls, Idaho could do it?
 
Upvote 0
It looks to me to be a septarian nodule which is a type of concretion that contains cracks and cavities filled with minerals like calcite (white) and aragonite (yellow). That's my guess.
 
Upvote 0
It looks to me to be a septarian nodule which is a type of concretion that contains cracks and cavities filled with minerals like calcite (white) and aragonite (yellow). That's my guess.

Now that you say it, I remember what the guy who gave it to me said now. He did say it had calcite in it. I think he was completely unaware of the yellow stuff, which might be Aragonite like you guess.

The problem is, I can’t ask the guy who gave it to me. He died in 2018. He was a great rock hound though.
 
Upvote 0
Now that you say it, I remember what the guy who gave it to me said now. He did say it had calcite in it. I think he was completely unaware of the yellow stuff, which might be Aragonite like you guess.

The problem is, I can’t ask the guy who gave it to me. He died in 2018. He was a great rock hound though.
Either way it's a cool little specimen and nice surprise out of the tumbler.
 
Upvote 0
Either way it's a cool little specimen and nice surprise out of the tumbler.

The interesting thing is that I’m on day one of step two of the tumbling process. There are four steps. The tumbling process is not done yet. It should be done in exactly 18 days.

I wonder what it’ll look like then.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. If you all would like, I can post pictures in 18 days after the tumbling process is done.
 
Upvote 0
The interesting thing is that I’m on day one of step two of the tumbling process. There are four steps. The tumbling process is not done yet. It should be done in exactly 18 days.

I wonder what it’ll look like then.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. If you all would like, I can post pictures in 18 days after the tumbling process is done.
Post them when it's done.
 
Upvote 0
OK, so I made a mistake. I do have a pre-tumble picture.

IMG_7546.webp


Just in case anyone is still interested.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom