What's new

Yesterday; Hiking fossil finds

LauraLou56

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2024
Messages
558
Reaction score
2,619
Golden Thread
0
Found on Lake Ontario, my favorite fossil and rock hounding place.
 

Attachments

  • 1000012486.webp
    1000012486.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
Great fossil finds and well defined! Congratulations!
 
Wow! Those are so cool! Interesting how some folks like us are drawn to get outside and look for things like fossils, detecting, flint/arrowheads, etc. We're definitely in our element.
 
Wow, I have the same feeling when I go out hiking around it’s like a total reset for my mind. The other day I found this took me a while to get it out, but I think it might be a payday. I also had this guy watching me, but I do have this guy watching my back very faithful to the end. keep going out in the hills. Every day is an adventure..View attachment 2213868View attachment 2213869View attachment 2213870
Aww look at your hiking companion!

Great find! Are you going to split it open?

And is that a bear sauntering away?
 
Neat finds. The lower rock has a section of a fossil crinoid columnal (stem), similar to this (also from Lake Ontario):
https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/10679/what-are-these-lines-on-this-stone

Despite the resemblance to plants (hence the colloquial name ‘sea lillies’), crinoids are marine animals loosely related to starfish and sea urchins.

Crinoid Anatomy.webp


The other stone has an accumulation of the individual discoidal ossicles that comprise the segments of the columnal.
 
Last edited:
Neat finds. The lower rock has a section of a fossil crinoid columnal (stem), similar to this (also from Lake Ontario):
https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/10679/what-are-these-lines-on-this-stone

Despite the resemblance to a plants (hence the colloquial name ‘sea lillies’), crinoids are marine animals loosely related to starfish and sea urchins.

View attachment 2213873

The other stone has an accumulation of the individual discoidal ossicles that comprise the segments of the columnal.
I have an entire collection of these from over the years. Ill have to photograph my archive at some point. Thank you for such a great diagram!
 
I think the rock on the right could be obicular diorite. It’s found on the island of Corsica and I’ve never seen any in the glacial till from Canada. How big is it? I’d like to cut and polish it. If you send it to me I’ll make something for you from it.👍🏻 I would be happy to pay the postage too.
IMG_0365.webp
 
Last edited:
You’re lucky to be able to hunt rocks on the shoreline in summer. My rock hunting is done along the river. I can only hunt when the water is lowered in the winter. Everything is underwater in the summer.
 
Last edited:
I think the rock on the right could be obicular diorite. It’s found on the island of Corsica and I’ve never seen any in the glacial till from Canada. How big is it? I’d like to cut and polish it. If you send it to me I’ll make something for you from it.👍🏻 I would be happy to pay the postage too.View attachment 2214225
I did miss this offer! Sure, I can send you a bunch that look like this. You don't have to send them back though, just send us pictures of what you make!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom