Yesterdays Colonial hunt yeilds three cut silvers!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial hunt yeilds three cut silvers!!

I got out yesterday with my good pal Bill D for another round at the colonial site that we have been pounding as of late. This time my dad was up visiting and we invited him along for a hunt.

Bill and I started the day digging into a couple of pits that we had located with test holes previously. Those who remember my post from last weekend might remember that during one of the test holes I dug the base to a candle stick and a VA Half Penny. We immediately started back there. At first we were about as excited as two small boys on Christmas Eve. The soil looked great, we dug down and identified a brick foundation, had already dug two buckles out of the pit and the nothing, but iron and brick. We spent a good hour expanding and finding a little here and there (lead items and misc brass) but nothing else. We moved on to the next one and dug a couple of flat buttons and a broken pipe, but again nothing.

After the third We called it quits. All the while my dad was roaming around surface hunting, and had done fairly well, a handful of buttons and an early worn cut silver (most likely from a pillar half reale). Bill and I called it quits and decided to join him. We only had a few short hours left to surface hunt as dad and I had to be back home early to take the wives out for the rest of the day. Within about 45 minutes dad dug himself another cut silver, this time a nice monogramed Carlos III 2 reale (early 1708-1714) and a few more buttons and other odds and ends (buckle parts, spur, etc.).

I stayed around where we dug the pits and just began to work slowly, eaking out a few buttons here and there. I just knew that if I stayed there another coin would surface. Finally with about 20 minutes left to hunt I unearthed a nice little piece of cut silver - though this one was not Spanish. This was a first for me, a 1731 6 Sol Isle Du Vent. This was a French Coin from the Windward Islands, meaning "Island of the Wind." The H is the mintmark for "La Rochelle." Too bad it is cut, but at least I had enough detail to make out what it was. On my piece I can make out H LUD "Mint mark and for Louis VX" and on the reverse a Fleur-de-lis with ISL "beginning of ISLE."

All in all we ended the day with a couple of dozen buttons (each of use digging about 12 or so) and plenty of other colonial brass and lead. Bill also dug a few items, and took some good pictures of the pits we were digging. I also dug another portion of my candlestick holder (dug the base last weekend), with the nice stembase and a nice lead seal with a stamped trident on it.

Just goes to show that not every pit you dig will pan out, but you have to try them.

HH
Dan
SC02213d.jpg

Attachments

• SC02213a.jpg
    SC02213a.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 364
  • SC02213b.jpg
    SC02213b.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 358
  • SC02213c.jpg
    SC02213c.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Upvote 12

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great day of hunting for many! Congrats on your cut silver and congrats to your dad for his silver finds!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High adventure!Love the colonial stuff and you dig it by the bucket full.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always love seeing your post cause I know it's going to be something good!

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice digs bud,

man Virginia's the place for cut silvers.We dig a few down here but nothing like Virginia colonial sites, congrats!

The Hun

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those cut silvers are sweet :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thoroughly enjoy yours and Bills posts. I'm sorry those pits didn't pan out but finding that foundation is really cool. Congrats to you and your dad for finding the silver.

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, such awesome finds!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - it looks like your dad has also joined the "T2 Roamers & Silver Seekers Club" of which Aquachigger is the founding member ..... LOL!!! It was good to see and hunt with your dad again and I'm sure he was happy to take a few nice keepers back home. And a big congrats to you for coming through (yet again!) to save the day at the 11th hour and keep our increasingly long colonial silver streak intact. The pits were a big disappointment, but we all made up for it with a variety of other nice finds including that ultra-cool Isle du Vent silver that you unearthed. This site continues to amaze with quantity and quality, and I can't wait to see what's yet to come.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some first rate finds. I am puzzled by the fact that we don't seem to find any cut silvers down here.

Congratulations,

Buck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - it looks like your dad has also joined the "T2 Roamers & Silver Seekers Club" of which Aquachigger is the founding member ..... LOL!!! It was good to see and hunt with your dad again and I'm sure he was happy to take a few nice keepers back home. And a big congrats to you for coming through (yet again!) to save the day at the 11th hour and keep our increasingly long colonial silver streak intact. The pits were a big disappointment, but we all made up for it with a variety of other nice finds including that ultra-cool Isle du Vent silver that you unearthed. This site continues to amaze with quantity and quality, and I can't wait to see what's yet to come.

HA HA I love it, Roamers and Silver Seekers...yea well they both absolutely made the most of their time there. Still can't believe that again I managed to grab one more just as time expired. I was thinking though...we need to go probe around those pits...have to be something there. As always had fun!

Dan

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding! I enjoy your success and anticipate what you may uncover next.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread