What's new

yesterdays finds "bone tube bead"

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get out for a couple hours after work yesterday and got caught in a thunderstorm. On the brite side I didn't have to clean my finds much.

ForumRunner_20121007_092942.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having trouble loading photos...aahhrrr!

ForumRunner_20121007_093340.webp
 
Good morning and thanks.
 
Morning! River south end or river north end?
 
The same permission site I spend alot of time at. Its north. Can't hunt the river since the laws were changed.
 
Great looking Bone Bead Gator. Are the vetebrae drilled as well? I have found a few of those on sites here that were polished and drilled and used as Beads.
 
Very nice finds! :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks guys. Yes they are drilled as well. I took the few photos in a bit of a hurry to dry off.
 
Here is the vertebrae and shell bead.

ForumRunner_20121007_191935.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20121007_191506.webp
    ForumRunner_20121007_191506.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 103
Having some major problems loading pics. Please bare with me.

ForumRunner_20121007_192211.webp
 
Those are some nice finds! What is the groove for on the outer area of the cylindrical bead?
 
If you mean the vertebrea.. these are shark..they are not bone they are a hard cartilage they grow in layers of rings and have a shape that is naturaly thinner in the middle so when ground down they get that groove effect. some belive them to be earspools "plugs" others beads.this website has them under bone and shell orniments listed as earspools. www.aboriginalantiquies.com
 
These are unaltered. Those natural notches in them go pretty deep so they had to start out with a pretty large one to work it down until it was smooth and still have a decent size left. I find alot of shell beads and drilled shark vertebrea that are not taken down like the ones above. I have found only five of those..I personally think they were earspools. The holes on that type show no sign of ever being strung through the holes.

ForumRunner_20121007_202906.webp
 
Last edited:
I was talking about the ears pool groove on the outer portion. When you said ears pool, that answered it. I was thinking they were shell. Instead shark bone. Like a larger version of the round bone in a can of salmon. Cool!!
 
That bead really caught my eye! Nice find!
 
Very nice finds. Is that also a drilled gorget? Seems rain hunts are getting popular :)
 
"Rain is a good thing" good song too. The other drilled piece is a pottery Chard.
 
"Rain is a good thing" Home town hero here! - Lee County, Georgia!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom