What's new

Yesterdays hunt

Red Earth

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2013
Messages
399
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Yesterday's hunt

My kids and I went out yesterday. We have had so much rain in Illinois over the past few weeks, our hunting site looked completely different. Trees tipped over and ground washed away. Anyway, I found the drill and my son found the point.
 

Attachments

  • 1434636491366.webp
    1434636491366.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 1434636507122.webp
    1434636507122.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 1434636527160.webp
    1434636527160.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
Making memories can be fun. 2 nice finds
 
I would love to find a drill like that. Nice finds and to beat it all, your son was there to help.
 
Great finds. I'll be creek hunting in IL on Sunday and would love to do half that well.
 
Both are very nice finds. Thanks for sharing.
 
Well Done, Cool Finds!
 
Nice finds,real nice drill! I'm just guessing; "red earth" for your title??? Are you in southern Illinois, maybe halfway close to Baldwin where the dirt runs red? Regardless nice finds for you and your son!
 
Nice finds,real nice drill! I'm just guessing; "red earth" for your title??? Are you in southern Illinois, maybe halfway close to Baldwin where the dirt runs red? Regardless nice finds for you and your son!

No I'm located in Knox county. My real name is Adam, which means "man of red earth" in some translations.
 
I get it, I'm just south of you in Fulton co. , HH.
 
I get it, I'm just south of you in Fulton co. , HH.

REALLY, I grew up in Abingdon but live in Galesburg now. I ran around all over Fulton and Knox counties...among others, lol.
 
Mark Todd, I looked through all your posts. Defiantly Illinois artifacts. I love the mason your brother found. Very nice indeed.
 
Funny, small world, I'm between Lewistown and Canton but way back in high school 1976-77 me and a buddy used to drive to Galesburg to Cruz the streets in his GTO. HaHa!
 
We are both in good areas, but you are in the primo of the primo areas
 
Hey, had to get back to work but I found something that I've got to show you since you're in Galesburg, I'll try to get back to you tonight.
 
Okay, here ya go...
It's not an Indian artifact but I thought you'd get a kick out of this since you live in Galesburg (however I will start a new thread this weekend showing one of FULTON counties finer points that I was so very fortunate to have found,if I get time).
I bought a metal detector about 2 years ago. I've got a pretty good sized yard and last summer about this time my son came over w/his wife and our granddaughter, after visiting for an hour or so I asked Chloe (1&1/2 yrs. old) if she wanted to go outside and play in the dirt, of course she said yes! I grabbed the detector and gave her a water bottle and a toothbrush, we dug three signals behind my garage; 1) a three inch piece of lead stock 2) a bookmarker made of silver from Italy and 3) this dog tag in the shape of a dog that says, GALESBURG DOG TAX 284 and on the collar says: 1898!
I found "TNET" while searching the Internet for info. on that dog tag. I had my wife sign me in to this site (I'm all thumbs with electronics) and I posted the tag but the only "TNET" member who knew what I'd found responded w/ P.M., because he was interested in purchasing it and that's quite understandable. About the same time I found a similar or same tag on the net that had set a record for the most $'s ever paid for a dog tax tag, however it was "not" dug up and had never been worn by a dog, it was stamped MORGAN PARK IL/1898, and sold for $1009s. Anyway I ended up selling the tag to Dr. William Bone the preeminent authority on pre 1900 dog tags and dog licensing history in U. S. And in the colonies. I received $655. and 2 fine books he Authored in exchange for this tag:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434774531.906936.webp
If you ever come across one of those in town you better snatch it up!!!
 
Very cool. I actually read your other posts and saw it earlier today.
 
Funny thing, my wife's nephew is married to a girl from Abington, don't know her maiden name but would be in her late 30's I think, don't know how old you are but you might know the family no bigger than Abington is, anyway watch for a new thread I'll post a couple of my best points, and nice chatting with you, take care.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom