artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Sunday went hunting after it had rained and the ground was still pretty saturated. I kept getting what I would term "False Signals". I would get a repeatable signal (it was always in the dime range), dig a hole and find NOTHING. Then I would put the flap back over the hole and run the detector over it again and find NOTHING. I was careful to check the pile with my probe and detector. It seemed that whatever was causing the machine to signal never existed. Could this be due to the ground being wet? Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else, or am I the only one that is plagued by a possessed metal detector? I did manage to find a '46 Roosie, so I guess I'm not too dissapointed.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
had to learn the hard way a????Yes wet sand can cause false signals ace 250 will not solve the problem. It has a semi fixed sensitivity and ground balance.Won't be able to tune the detector.Up grade to a minelab GT

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep ground conditions and minerals in certain areas makes mine like that I even had that problem with the 2500 in one certain area and I had salt elim. on

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, thanks for clearing this up for me. I was starting to think about calling a priest in for an excorcism. ::)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Question.........when you wave the dirt or plug in front of your coil after you've dug, are you in all metal mode? If you're not, clad or even silver may not sound off. I've had this happen to me with a mercury dime. I used to keep my detector on the coin setting all the time until one day I was furiously looking for the target I was digging. I almost gave up on it until I saw it in the pile. It simply did not sound off with the detector on coin mode and nickels and the zinc penny notch disc'd. The same will apply to a tab that sounds like a dime while in the dirt, but not once it has been unearthed. With the detector in all metal mode, you can at least find the imposter. So make sure if you are not already doing so to switch to all metal mode when digging. There are alot of targets that sound one way while buried, but not in the air or disturbed soil.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Ricardo,

It's only been in the last couple of weeks that I started experimenting with settings other than all metal. I have been keeping it in coin mode for the last little while. I'll try your suggestion with switching to all metal after I've pinpointed and started to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions