You gotta check this maybe the only one to ever exist!!!!!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok figured I would post this here and on todays finds, as I did find it just not with a md. Ok went to pawn shop that I have never been in out of town and walked in to look and see if they had any coins. To my suprise they did have a few, so I looked around picked through some odd and end pieces of junk and he had the 65,66, sms sets so I asked how much he wanted for them both and he said $25. I thought to myself that a little high but still asked if I could see them,lookedat the 66 to see if the COA was there and it was. Then looked at the 65 at to my suprise I saw an ERROR my heart almost stopped beating. :o :o I told the man I will take them both. So on my merry way I went, when I got home I picked up the cherry pickers guide to errors, and guess what no such error on a 65 exsits, nor could I find one on ebay or the internet. Hell I collect coins and have been for 5 years now and dont know how this error came about. The Obverse is plain to see an ERROR but the reverse is almost perfect. What do you guys think it is ???

Thanks and HH

Attachments

• yea 003.JPG
    yea 003.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 621
  • yea 005.JPG
    yea 005.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 627
  • yea 007.JPG
    yea 007.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 634

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Looks like a lamination error........

Looks like a lamination error, it appears that the surface is missing material after it had been struck(incused), with the "I" still intact, but part of the "L" missing, if it were a die error the material would "flow" to the missing die area (embossed) the fact its in a mint set may make it somewhat special, laminations occur in different areas and no two are alike, that may be why there is no history of them as "die errors"..................fred

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Neat find but not all that valuable. I have a new proof set with one of the quarters that looks like that, I thought I hit the lottery, but no dealer seems to think much of it. OH well

Greg

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
I would say die grease gunk etc, I've got a bunch of circ state quarters with bad strike through marks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread