What's new

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!!!!!

Hydrantman

Full Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Earth
Well I decided to do a little bank hopping today. I noticed that if you aren't a customer there, the tellers just look around and say "we don't have any today" but this one I went to I happened to know the teller because she is my neighbor. So I asked for Ikes and Halves and she got me a bag of $100 of halves. So here is the unbelievable part... I GOT ANOTHER ONE OF THEM DAMN MAGICIANS COINS! But on the up side I also got 8 40%ers and 4 90%ers out of it. I also got a 50 cent token from Empress Casino in Joliet.

I also got $200 in rolled halves at my bank branch that I stopped at. Because I was a customer I was able to get the "extra" service.
 
Upvote 0
I only have accounts at three banks but have bought from 10-11 different ones, no one has ever turned me down because I was not a customer
 
Here is what I do. I opened a account at every major bank in my area with multiple branches. The banks with only one or two branches I didn't bother with. I'm talking about the banks with three or more branches. That way I have a account at almost every bank I will go to within reason in a large radius of my house. I really do not have alot of problems getting coin; it's taking the coin to dump banks with out accounts that gets me. I just said screw it and opened accounts every where so I will not have problems in the future. That way if I go to a bank in another town and walk in with coin and see that sour look on the tellers faces I already have the account thing taken care of. You know that is the first thing out of their mouth. DO YOU HAVE A ACCOUNT?? I can almost always say yes now. I love it.
 
I have never gotten one of the "trick" coins, I actually kind of want to find one, just so I can say that I have.
 
The bank that orders halves for me by the box, & always has loose ones to sell me is my best bank, & I dont even have an account there. One bank I do have an account at gives me the attitude when I ask them to order some. Just depends. Ron
 
Good finds hydra. I don't pay the sour tellers any mind. I have found that almost every time they give me attitude I find silver. I had a girl tell me this morning "you can have these 5 rolls, but there is no silver in them". I said "ok, i'll take em". Of course, the first roll I cracked, I see a AU 67 staring at me. Then I found 3 more 67's in the remaining rolls. :)

Just last week I went into a bank and the girl said "you won't find any 64's in there" Of course the first roll had two in it. I think it's kinda funny :) HH
 
What I say is that most banks are glad to get rid of their halves and usually their demeanor changes and they go and get them.
 
A lot of the time the reason why they ask if you have an account is they are supposed to to try to get you to open one. Keep in mind, banks are businesses that are competitive, they want as much of your money as they can get.

Often times on smaller banks if you just say yes and say it with normal confidence they give you the service.
Rarely do they then check to see if you have an account. It has happened to me a couple times, I just give them my name like normal and when no account comes up, I act surprised and say, Oh I must have thought it was another branch of my bank, works with with anything with the name "first" or national, or State, America etc, Just say you are confused, and if they press ya, open an account, you can always leave like $20 in there and not have to worry about the no account thing. I did this at first in my area where is is both a western states bank, and a bank of the west, They both get each others customers coming in all the time. They may figure you for an idiot but who cares.

Also. if you just tell em your a coin collector, sometimes they warm up. It takes away any suspicious reasons as to why your in there.
I have only once had a problem with that.
They said people would ask for rolls or odd things in order to confuse tellers and get extra money. Or trade in rolls that are not full for cash etc, So I have had some look at me funny like I am trying to launder money or something, I just hand them my money first and say check it, and say I want X number coins, please take your time and double check the numbers, that relives them and makes it "safe" and shows your legit.
 
I like those trick coins. I'll take them all day long for 50 cents. Take a look on ebay and see what they are selling for. I've gotten 3. I put them on my oddbal page.
 
I'm not saying I was complaining, I was just pointing out that it seemed like if I didn't have an account, they weren't too enthusiastic. I do live in a populated area and I have gotten a few responses like "we had some last week but someone else already got them" when asking for Ikes so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one CHR here.

Plus today was just an extra thing. I already get 4 boxes of halves every Friday from my bank and dump at three other branches of my bank in the area so I really don't need to open accounts all over town. I did have one girl at one of my stops today take my name and number and said she would call me if Ikes came in. Plus I have all 4 of my regular stops saving them for me so I'm pretty covered. Today's trip was just a quicky because I keep seeing others talking about their road trips and how successful they are so I thought I'd give it a sample try. Maybe next week I'll take a tour of the CheeseHead banks across the border and see what they're throwing away. ;D

I was at one bank and two elderly people both turned in coins to be counted and I asked if I could have the bags after they were done but they said they had regulations against selling the machine bags. I just know there was silver in there, I could smell it! ;)

One thing I might actually do within the next week or so is take a drive downtown and visit the Feberal Reserve Bank in Chicago and see what kind of bags I can get there. Who knows, maybe they still have Ikes there!
 
I have rarely had a problem getting halves from a bank that I didn't have an account at. I think around 5 times ever have I been told no outright, but in one of those the teller said they gave them as change to customers so she couldn't sell the bag to me. Only time I have ever heard of a bank saying they actually intentionally circulated halves.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom