What's new

Your thoughts on these artifacts most appreciated

Niner

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "inherited" these Indian artifacts from a client of mine. An old pioneer farmer, he had them all piled up in the back corner of his yard. I asked him about those rocks when I was working there one day and a big chunk of black obsidian caught my eye, and upon further investigation it was a huge pile of mortars and pestles. One day, Archie told me that he knew I appreciated his collection of artifacts and wanted me to have them. See, he was dying and he knew it and insisted I take them.

I've given several of samples away, but thought you folks would like to see them.
2wfvhja.webp
 
Upvote 0
More:
1izas5.webp
 
Hi Niner Very cool stuff, I've heard of museums paying LOTS of money for mortar and pestle type artifacts such as yours. The indentations can be found in huge rocks along the South western river systems. These places were used for many centuries by the kumyayay (spelling) to grind acorns into flower in close proximity to the water source....The indentations can sometimes be found far from modern water and often mark the old active beds of rivers from hundreds or thousands of years ago. All the portable ones like the ones you have presented are long gone, and for the most part completely lost to time.
 
Last edited:
This one is extra impressive
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140315_182440.webp
    ForumRunner_20140315_182440.webp
    98.6 KB · Views: 126
And I'd like to see better pics of this
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140315_182933.webp
    IMG_20140315_182933.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 123
Those are super !!
 
Very nice examples and I am glad they went to a good home. They are worth a good bit of money just so you know, rock
 
That is real good of him to pass on a collection, and if I were you I would keep it all together . Thanks for posting:thumbsup:
 
Archie was one of the first tomato farmers in the Sacramento Valley. Many years ago he was the first to plow up some virgin bottomland that had historically flooded for centuries, I have to hand it to him, he got off his plow and chucked these artifacts off to the side of his work and kept them. You can see the plow disc marks on many of the rocks, and he said he broke more that he brought home.

As he plowed up that virgin river bottom land he'd occasionally kick up a rock that shouldn't be there. Granite and obsidian have no business being in that valley, buried in dirt. They weren't indigenous to the area at all.
dp74vl.webp
 
Wow! what an impressive collection! Ya might think about marking them w/ place of origin, and finder's name before giving them away. At least that way, someone down the road will know where they were found- which is not necessarily the origin of the rock itself. Just a thought... Those long boys are so often broken- it's great to see them whole! Yakker
 
Quite a nice collection you have there, and also a quite fortunate gift.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom