YouTubers and others can do a disservice to the detecting community

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the hobby has grown which is good, better equipment, a hobby for a lifetime. However the wonderful folks on YouTube which offers much information on a number of things is great. Metal detecting channels well, I must say this those or some on there are offering a disservice why, because like any salesman some are getting compensated in some form or fashion. Please that’s not a bad thing when it’s personal but to the greater hobbiest it leaves much to be desired. I wish they put a logo or information tag next to there profile stating so, it gives us a better perspective and honesty and unbiased position is a good thing. Thankyou all for helping but please keep that in mind, state that your a representative or pitchman, that’s not a bad thing, be open minded, thankyou

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. In my judgment, the goal of these folks isn't to provide unbiased, useful reviews, but to become an "influencer" (which won't happen in this market cause it is too small, but they are too clueless about the digital marketplace to realise this), or just raise their status in the community (but again, they are too clueless to realise that their reputation actually takes a hit by not objectively reviewing machines, because we all buy the same machines and run the same tests and can and do call them out).

Yes, in each and every video, they should disclose their conflicts of interest, such as free machines or other compensation from the manufacturer for which they are pumping.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better said than myself thankyou very much. As I said I’m a learner until I’m dead, I appreciate YouTube has taught me many things from fixing my dryer etc. but yes you said it best. We can be a better community for it. Im glad for those that do get a random detector or whatever great. But keep in mind before you where a spokesperson you where a regular person wanting unbiased information as well thankyou

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I saw one of a father daughter in oz. I didn’t like how close they got to beach towels and belongings of beach goers. Give them space

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread