Zephyr American Corp. Inkwell

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I was hoping someone would have information on an inkwell I found while demolishing a house with my father several years ago. I have found several Swivodex inkwells by the same manufacturer on ebay and other websites.

It has a black glass or ceramic base and I believe a glass ball. It is inscribed on the base with:

Property of U.S. Navy
Swivodex Trademark
Zephyr American Corp.
New York, NY
Patent Pending

It is in excellant condition with no cracks or scratches. The pen comes apart into two pieces but the tip is fine. If anyone has any information such as age, rarity, or value, it would be very appreciated. I was mainly wondering if the Navy connection would enhance the significance of the piece or maybe so many were made for the military that they would be common. Thanks.

Even if there weren't that many made for the US Navy, I don't think it would add too significantly to the price.It would however make it slighty more appealing as a "crossover" collectible to someone that may collect Navy memorabilia as well as someone who collects writing instruments or inkwells in general,also based on the desciption, I believe yours dates from the art deco era which may appeal to a distinctive group of collectors in itself,therefore giving you a larger number of prospective buyers for your item,thus enhancing the value somewhat but not extraordinarily.Hope this helps.Does yours look like this only with the pen?

Attachments

• a inkwell.jpg
    a inkwell.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,153
The ball is slightly different but otherwise it looks like the one pictured.

Thanks for the info. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back