Hey CRUSADER, drinks happening at my place too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swim I'd probably make my way across the pond for a toast. :D Unfortunately I did not find a gold coin but to many a relic hunter it would be in range.

Today my hunting bud and i made it back to our new little Colonial site on the creek. As I suspected it was on the quiet side, in fact I had nothing to show for my first hour. Deciding to leave the "iron patch" which I don't really like to do, paid off in a big way. This Rev War Officer button was found at maybe 8" or 9" and I knew when I seen it, it had potential to be quite good. To my surprise it's better than expected and would be among the finest known. It's not quite as rare or as valuable as it once was when there was only 2-3 known but even now would still buy a nice detector. ;D

Shortly after the button I wandered closer to the creek and dug what sounded like a deep shotgun shell. Nope! That's silver in the hole... and not just silver.. Colonial counterstamped silver! :icon_sunny: I don't know what it is (paging Don SJ.. Don SJ) :D but it's interesting. One side has what I think is GH? or CH? , the other side says "Hill". Will be hard to top this day for the rest of 2008 but I'll be out there trying. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,724
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,732
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • zkb2.jpg
    zkb2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608
Upvote 4

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Ironpatch:thumbsup:
actually nice two!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Congrats on the Banner

Cheers, Mike

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning finds, I am speachless! The find of a lifetime for most. A huge congrats! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing it with us.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet its a blank William III sixpence - 1690s or Shilling of same period. circa 22mm, or 25mm for shilling

GREAT BUTTON - Nice to have the shank too ;D

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Great Finds Patch! I think that I have dug about a hundred buttons this year, but non are close too what you have found!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have yet to find a revolutionary or pre-revolutionary army button and am still hoping to find one....HH M

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I want to give a big Congratulations making the banner! The officers button you found is an eye popper for sure :o, I would take that over a gold coin any day! In my opinion the silver item is a sort of dog tag or I.D. tag. You may have a one of a kind there. I would try researching officers with the last name of Hill.

I know there are more great finds to come from this site.

Steve

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very awesome finds Iron Patch :o WTG on the finds and the Banner :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two awesome finds, congrats!!! The silver almost looks like a British love token the way it is bent. HH, Mike

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello Ironpatch, Counter marked coins usually very worn ones were sometimes used as tokens by farmers to pay their workers. Well that's what I once read in a magazine article. Here's a few from my own collection.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• today 144.jpg
    today 144.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4,835

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much history in such tiny, little items. Amazing!
Carl

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Terrific finds! I too agree that it could easily be a "GH" on the silver. Is it possible to research officers names for that regiment? You just may come up with a G. Hill which would be simply amazing.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP,
Couldn't of happened to a better guy. A HUGE congrats on your banner finds big guy. :icon_king: :thumbsup:
Very nice silver piece, but that button is simply AMAZING. What a beautiful button.
I would be toasting too if I were you. :occasion14:
-MM-

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
WOW. That is one Incredible button! For a dug find, that is TOP condition, my friend~!

So these finds were made where there was no iron patch? I don't usually wander far away from a good iron patch either, but I'm interested in learning a little more. Were you playing on a hunch when you wandered away from the iron?

Was the button cleaned with Aluminum Jelly?

The silver is certainly interesting--and I'm excited to hear more about the counterstamp.

Congratulations on your BANNER day. Keep those incredible finds coming. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

Buckleboy, I was still very close to the iron, just not where it was heaviest. (message on the way with more info.)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
utah hunter said:
Could the second letter of the stamp be an "H"? Hill could be the last name with the front having initials and the back having the full last name.

I thought the same thing; the second letter looks more like an "H" to me as well. Perhaps it is G. Hill?

Fantastic finds! Congrats on the banner!

Thanks and I agree, could easily be an H. The G could also be something else.

There are many known stamps with Hill so tracking this down is possible. I will update should I find anything out.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Two awesome finds, congrats!!! The silver almost looks like a British love token the way it is bent. HH, Mike

Mike, it's very thin and most early Brit. love tokens i've seen have a double bend, this I would guess is simply just bent.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ExLibris said:
What a great button, congratulations!

Here some history of this regiment:

The King's American Regiment was a British provincial regiment which was raised and served in the American Revolutionary War.

It was raised in New York in December, 1776 by Colonel Edmund Fanning as the Associated Refugees. It served in the attacks on Fort Clinton and Fort Montgomery. It took part in relief of Newport, raids in Virginia and operations in Georgia and East Florida.

It was taken into the American Establishment on March 7, 1781 as the 4th American Regiment. It was taken into the British Establishment on December 25, 1782, possibly as the 110th Regiment of Foot and disbanded in Canada in 1783.

private.gif

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_American_Regiment

More information:

http://www.royalprovincial.com/Military/rhist/kar/kar1hist.htm

Button collection of the New Brunswick Uni
http://www.lib.unb.ca/collections/loyalist/

officer.gif

Rob

Thanks Rob, I know all about them but most others probably don't. For those reading the lower soldier is the Officer and the type of coat the button is from.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldenapples said:
Great finds, the initals look like S.H to me, im 99% sure the last letter is a H

Maybe "CH"

There is a known listing for a C.H. Hill stamped coin. Would have to see a picture for possible match.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread