Hey CRUSADER, drinks happening at my place too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swim I'd probably make my way across the pond for a toast. :D Unfortunately I did not find a gold coin but to many a relic hunter it would be in range.

Today my hunting bud and i made it back to our new little Colonial site on the creek. As I suspected it was on the quiet side, in fact I had nothing to show for my first hour. Deciding to leave the "iron patch" which I don't really like to do, paid off in a big way. This Rev War Officer button was found at maybe 8" or 9" and I knew when I seen it, it had potential to be quite good. To my surprise it's better than expected and would be among the finest known. It's not quite as rare or as valuable as it once was when there was only 2-3 known but even now would still buy a nice detector. ;D

Shortly after the button I wandered closer to the creek and dug what sounded like a deep shotgun shell. Nope! That's silver in the hole... and not just silver.. Colonial counterstamped silver! :icon_sunny: I don't know what it is (paging Don SJ.. Don SJ) :D but it's interesting. One side has what I think is GH? or CH? , the other side says "Hill". Will be hard to top this day for the rest of 2008 but I'll be out there trying. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,724
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,732
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • zkb2.jpg
    zkb2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Looking over this post, I followed the Uniform links and saw the buttons with the crown and RP below.

I dug a button like this somewhere outside of Charleston SC about 4 years ago...
I knew it was Brittish but not anything else...
Anyone here have an idea of the Value of a "RP under CROWN" button.... ?
the material is like Pewter, that has chipped a little in places....

Also found on the same site was a Rev war small cuff button with the old style eagle on it...

thanks for any help...

Absolutely...

You have yourself a Rev War button, the Royal Provincial button was the most commonly used button by the Loyalist troops. I believe some Regiments just used the RP, where others like the King's American Regiment issued officer buttons and their enlisted soldiers wore the RP. I have found quite a few but never in great condition.

Value depends on several so can't really say. Usually decent dug condition ones bring $50-$200.

The eagle you would have to post.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very cool buttons. It's interesting since not a lot of coinage was in circulation at the time so collectors will pay so much for the next best thing(or to them better) - buttons. Probably buttons are more "collectible" since they are more rare and are more unique.

Bob

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Very cool buttons. It's interesting since not a lot of coinage was in circulation at the time so collectors will pay so much for the next best thing(or to them better) - buttons. Probably buttons are more "collectible" since they are more rare and are more unique.

Bob

They are to those who collect buttons, :-X but generally speaking coins kick the heck out of buttons for demand and price. Take for example my button here, imagine if it had the value of a 1700s American silver coin and was among the best 10 known. I think that's visit your local auto dealer and pick one ...kinda price.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
The counterstamped coin is the first I've seen here.

But, oh, that button.. Your previous one is a hell of a find in that expected long-buried condition.
Your new KAR button appears to have been magically mummified. Spectacular!

Congratulations on your find and Banner-osity!

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On the silver, could the word "hill" be possible part of the word "shill" but with the "s" worn down?

"shill" might have been used as short for "shilling" to denominate the coin.

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W...O...W!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Just out of curiosity, I looked around the internet for a value of your button. I only found one place...yep, you guesed it...E-Bay. I didn't see any bids for the button, but it was going for 325 dollars....and it was in NOWHERE NEAR the condition of yours! Better get it appraised :D

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CowboyKolo said:
Just out of curiosity, I looked around the internet for a value of your button. I only found one place...yep, you guesed it...E-Bay. I didn't see any bids for the button, but it was going for 325 dollars....and it was in NOWHERE NEAR the condition of yours! Better get it appraised :D

I know the one you mean on Ebay, know it very well in fact because I dug it in 2000. There were very few known at the time and I sold it for about three times the price it is on that store listing.

These things are tough to appraise because they're only worth what someone is willing to pay. There is nothing like a red book for early buttons.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
CowboyKolo said:

I know the one you mean on Ebay, know it very well in fact because I dug it in 2000. There were very few known at the time and I sold it for about three times the price it is on that store listing.

These things are tough to appraise because they're only worth what someone is willing to pay. There is nothing like a red book for early buttons.

You never cease to amaze me, Iron Patch.

Now, get out there and dig us another one of those buggards. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Bavaria Mike said:
Two awesome finds, congrats!!! The silver almost looks like a British love token the way it is bent. HH, Mike

Mike, it's very thin and most early Brit. love tokens i've seen have a double bend, this I would guess is simply just bent.

I agree with Mike. The silver piece looks like a love token. 8)

Beautiful button. :)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
Iron Patch said:
Bavaria Mike said:
Two awesome finds, congrats!!! The silver almost looks like a British love token the way it is bent. HH, Mike

Mike, it's very thin and most early Brit. love tokens i've seen have a double bend, this I would guess is simply just bent.

I agree with Mike. The silver piece looks like a love token. 8)

Beautiful button. :)

Here is the most I was able to get on the coin. Still not knowing the exact history I hadn't planned on bumping the thread with an update but since it made it back up here ya go.

The counter-stamped coin/token/blank, I cannot find an exact match to the counter-stamps.
However, I can tell you the following:
1) there are many different HILL counter-stamps known on American coins from the 19th century,
as well as some British and Canadian host coins. Usually the word HILL is preceded by an initial
( Brunks lists 41 varieties ). The script GH? is not mentioned with any one of them ...
2) The bent and worn silver host coin with counter-stamps looks very much like a Dublin slap token.
The were created by Irish merchants to replace the missing small change around 1800-1810.
They all consist of worn smooth shillings or six-pence with various counter-stamps indicating the
merchants who would redeem the token for 1s or 6p. Unfortunately, this particular name is not
listed .. but then again that happens a lot with these enigmatic pieces.
I am interested in the piece if you are thinking of selling it ... ( I collect the Dublin slap tokens )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread