Hey CRUSADER, drinks happening at my place too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swim I'd probably make my way across the pond for a toast. :D Unfortunately I did not find a gold coin but to many a relic hunter it would be in range.

Today my hunting bud and i made it back to our new little Colonial site on the creek. As I suspected it was on the quiet side, in fact I had nothing to show for my first hour. Deciding to leave the "iron patch" which I don't really like to do, paid off in a big way. This Rev War Officer button was found at maybe 8" or 9" and I knew when I seen it, it had potential to be quite good. To my surprise it's better than expected and would be among the finest known. It's not quite as rare or as valuable as it once was when there was only 2-3 known but even now would still buy a nice detector. ;D

Shortly after the button I wandered closer to the creek and dug what sounded like a deep shotgun shell. Nope! That's silver in the hole... and not just silver.. Colonial counterstamped silver! :icon_sunny: I don't know what it is (paging Don SJ.. Don SJ) :D but it's interesting. One side has what I think is GH? or CH? , the other side says "Hill". Will be hard to top this day for the rest of 2008 but I'll be out there trying. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,724
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,732
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • zkb2.jpg
    zkb2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608
Upvote 4

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Iron Patch said:
CowboyKolo said:
Just out of curiosity, I looked around the internet for a value of your button. I only found one place...yep, you guesed it...E-Bay. I didn't see any bids for the button, but it was going for 325 dollars....and it was in NOWHERE NEAR the condition of yours! Better get it appraised :D

I know the one you mean on Ebay, know it very well in fact because I dug it in 2000. There were very few known at the time and I sold it for about three times the price it is on that store listing.

These things are tough to appraise because they're only worth what someone is willing to pay. There is nothing like a red book for early buttons.

That's true of anything though I think. Still, awesome finds :D

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CowboyKolo said:
Iron Patch said:
CowboyKolo said:
Just out of curiosity, I looked around the internet for a value of your button. I only found one place...yep, you guesed it...E-Bay. I didn't see any bids for the button, but it was going for 325 dollars....and it was in NOWHERE NEAR the condition of yours! Better get it appraised :D

I know the one you mean on Ebay, know it very well in fact because I dug it in 2000. There were very few known at the time and I sold it for about three times the price it is on that store listing.

These things are tough to appraise because they're only worth what someone is willing to pay. There is nothing like a red book for early buttons.

That's true of anything though I think. Still, awesome finds :D

It is but holds more true for buttons than coins because of the lack of sales on record. Even some of the rarer coins no one can predict a price until it sells. If only buttons had the value of coins I would be buying everyone a drink here!

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
well, my drink of choice is cheap as I had to swear off alcohol, so I'll just take a dr pepper, neat lol

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

PA

Mar 18, 2009
hi iron patch,

wow awesome button sir. i just saw it on the banner. you got great history. where are you from?

henry

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Congrats I.P. Good to see it has sufficiently thawed to detect again. It sure didn't take you long to flirt with the banner. A good detectorist is warming up for another great year. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Congrats I.P. Good to see it has sufficiently thawed to detect again. It sure didn't take you long to flirt with the banner. A good detectorist is warming up for another great year. :thumbsup:
Chris

Nope, first dig soon though. This thread was from finds last Summer! :D

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Iron Patch said:
Chris

You're teasing me I.P. You are still a fair to mudlin detectorist. ;D
Chris

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Chris

You're teasing me I.P. You are still a fair to mudlin detectorist. ;D
Chris

Chris, we have a hunt set for Thursday, was hoping for today but my bud couldn't make it and it's cold and raining. Tomorrow it's suppose to be nice and I'm going to dig a Rev button to post just for you! :thumbsup: It will probably be a 3rd, but I'll take anything I can get. First time out in 2009 so I'll be happy to just get in some swings.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok i know this post is like 2 years old but i had to comment! breath taking button and that silver counter stamped coin is sweet!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
ok i know this post is like 2 years old but i had to comment! breath taking button and that silver counter stamped coin is sweet!

Yeah that was a good day, and funny because signals were nowhere near what they were the hunt before. About an hour in I hit the button, then maybe 15-20 later the coin. Seeing the post again makes anxious for a few Fall digs!

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
Great finds as usual iron patch, alwaysa a pleasure to see your post...HH

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stunning find and i vote banner! cheers :coffee2: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumpsums said:
stunning find and i vote banner! cheers :coffee2: :thumbsup:

It was on the banner..... over two years ago. :-X (old post bumped back)

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible. I thought the coin was a counterstamped NE shilling at 1st glance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread