A GOOD DAY DIVING THE 1715 FLEET!!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Jeff K said:
FISHEYE said:
Most likely the cannon was stored in the hold next to some chests of coins.Being the breach was open when the ship wrecked and the coins came out of their chests,or the chests broke or got crushed from debris from above they ended up in the breach of the cannon.

Or they were contraband hidden in the cannon.

Makes it all the more special that it could be contraband to avoid the King's tax. You can almost imagine the "cargo" getting offloaded in Spain... Just a cannon, nothing special here...

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do we go to invest again? I have a feeling something is about to bust wide open!! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Some More Pics...

Attachments

• CANNON&COIN.jpg
    CANNON&COIN.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,159
  • COIN CLUMP.jpg
    COIN CLUMP.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,082
  • GOLDCOINS IN CANNON.jpg
    GOLDCOINS IN CANNON.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3,071
  • CREW&CANNON.jpg
    CREW&CANNON.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,072

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,

If you could have the lab guys leave some of your escudo's "in situ" and letting them stay attached to a small piece of the encrustion in which they were attached to "being part of the cannon" that may increase their value...3x over...just a thought.
I posted an example in the Spanish Cob forum.

The picture (P1110391) where you see just a portion of the Bogota, is what I mean...just clean enough to expose full detail (side visible) but leave inside the encrustation and HELLO $$$$$$.

I'm smiling for you guys...congrats

Trez (Scott)

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I would like to try and trace this gun back to the ship it was on if possible.. Does anyone have any information about the ordinance on board the 1715 ships? Particularly, Ubilla's Capitana.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Apolla said:
Ok... Im trying to keep up with the photos from the finds. I posted them to our Website first but lately have been putting them out on the Facebook first cuz its eaiser for me. I'm also eaiser to respond from Facebook than here..if you send me a request or question.

Arrrghhhhh!
The facebook link on your profile dosn't work. Am I doing something wrong or has it changed ? Awsome stuff. :icon_thumright:

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
'thousands of eyes watched our progress..true to the code of nature ,what represented a windfall for one living creature was disaster for another" this i read about the treasure on the CAPITANA....kind of cool quote 0oo000OOO HH

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
What a great find! Thanks for keeping us posted. Can somebody tell me what the numbers and cross/plus sign on the cannon represent? Is it a date, or some kind of inventory number?

Mariner

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find, Congratulations :notworthy: I can only dream of ever finding what you have.
With the breach gun, I'm sure the Spanish stop using them by the 1700. As Jeff suggested it would have been contraband
stuffed in a out of date cannon, going back to Spain as scrap metal, just my two cents worth.
Cheers, Ossy

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,

You may want to identify the gun first,like the maker of it and the date.Then see if theres any like it around or on the net.Is there any coats of arms and inscriptions other than the numbers in the photo near the breech?Perhaps that could lead to the identification of the ship.

Attachments

• typesofswivalguns.jpg
    typesofswivalguns.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2,904

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greg, what a day you had my friend, congratulations. You might try getting in touch with Ruth (SmithBrown here on TNET). She has a lot of great cannon info, and was very helpful in identifying some of the cannon we found in the DR.

Again, congrats on an awesome day...hopefully this weather will let you get in shallow again soon so you can dazzle us all again.

Jason

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez,

The photos are still here.You must be going blind with your old age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread