Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, kinda'. Ever now and then when I go to bed at night I feel my old deceased cat jump up on the bed and curl up by my feet. I can't help but to look and there is never anything there. My wife has the same experience from time to time. She wouldn't tell me because I would think she was loosing it. But one day I told her about my experience and she was flabbergasted. Monty :angel8:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
They are here but very rarely make their presence known. Every great once in a while I'll hear a little noise upstairs, mostly footsteps on the creaky floorboards. This is an old house for this area, late 1800's, and its been in my family since the 1940's. My grandfather died in one of the upstairs bedrooms before I was born, I like to think he is one of them.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
This is one of the reasons why I question the idea of ghosts. I mean, if you KNOW that you live with a ghost and can PROVE it, then why wouldn't you sell your house for millions of dollars to some scientists? Surely if you could help prove the true existence of ghosts it would be worth a mint. There are many well to do people in the world who would pay you handsomely for your home if it could be shown that a ghost truly lives there. So why don't you? Can you explain this to me? Is it because you really can't prove that there is a ghost and you just actually have a hunch? Or is there some moral dilemma going on? Something else?

My father always talks about a guy who claims to see a ghost in his house weekly. Personally, I think he just likes the attention. If it occurred that regularly and in the fashion that this guy claims then surely his house is worth millions to researchers. So why doesn't he take advantage of it? I find it hard to believe that there is some moral dilemma going on here.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
We have some type of pressence in our home that makes itself known from time to time. My little boy who is 4 always calls it

"the man" and he seems to be most sensitive to it. I have seen something on many different occasions.

I do not have any way to PROVE what is or isn't there jb7487 but I cannot measure LOVE either but I know it exists. Not trying to antagonize you but some things are matters of faith and personal belief and cannot ever be "proven" to be true.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I do not have any way to PROVE what is or isn't there jb7487 but I cannot measure LOVE either but I know it exists.

Measuring and proving are different things. Science can indeed back up the theory that love exists and is a standard emotion. Pretty much everyone in the world agrees that love exists. But fewer believe that ghosts exist. And there has never been any scientific proof of the existence of ghosts. So you would think that people who thought they COULD prove it would recognize the lucrative nature of doing so and capitalize on it. It's human nature. Look at how many people on this small forum have claimed to have ghosts in their house. So imagine how many people in the world must be making the same claim. And yet not one single person has ever taken advantage of the situation and proved that ghosts really exist? I find that really odd and just want to understand why.

Sure, some things you have to take on faith. I can't prove that God exists yet I still believe. But I can tell you this, if I really COULD prove that God exists I sure as heck wouldn't keep it to myself.

You are not antagonizing me mastereagle. And I don't mean to antagonize you either. I'm just curious. I don't technically believe in ghosts but I do believe in the "spirit/soul" and in God. In a way it's like my beliefs regarding psychic abilities: I believe that it is possible to have psychic abilities, but I've never met anyone claiming to have them that actually did. :wink:

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Well, to ask a basic question: What is considered "proof"? There are thousands of photos taken every year that the Kodak company analyzes and says there is no trickery involved. My paranormal investigation team has taken several good photos that cannot be explained. We have got readings on our EMF meters that cannot be explained.

So....what is "proof"? If I go to the Grand Canyon and someone takes a picture of me there, doesn't that "prove" I was there?

There are a lot of scientists that are interested in paranormal research, but their funding will get yanked if they go against the grain, so to speak.

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone either. As an investigator, there are thousands of questions that should be asked....the original question about the burden of proof is one of them. :thumbsup:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Yeah and how would you prove it anyway?

Short of a full body apparition appearing to the person demanding proof, the skeptic would never accept anything less.

I know it is a hyped show and all but Ghost Busters will give you a general idea of how limited the technology we have is in its effectiveness of trying to prove anytyhing related to ghosts and paranormal.

And yes I know a few paranormal investigators and NO they are not like the Ghost Hunters from TV.

I personally have seen the same thing in my home on no less than 4 occasions since moving in 5 years ago. There is an area of the house that I will only go into if it is daytime and I NEVER go there without a flashlight because getting caught there in the dark would NOT be fun. Maybe it's just my imagination but I never said a word about it to anyone and all of my family has eventually mentioned similar experiences. And as I said my 4 y/o talks about the "man" in the basement and will not go down to the basement without someone.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Believe me, if I could get one (a ghost) to sit down and do a video interview I would do it in a heart beat. Even then I am sure there would be hundreds of people come out to try to prove it to be a hoax. I have seen several pictures of bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster but until I see physical proof I am going to be skeptical. Some of those were faked but a lot of them were taken by people that really believe they saw them. As far as ghosts/souls/spirits go they are not physical beings so there really can't be any "physical" proof can there?

I know what I have heard and seen so I believe that there is some sort of paranormal existence. Until a person experiences it for themselves it's gonna be hard to "prove" anything to them. Technology is getting better and better every day but it could take another 100 or even 1000 years before it can be proven. Right now we just don't have the ability.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
The "proof" would be that it would appear to someone else besides you. You don't need to prove it to the world. Just prove it to someone else who is willing to pay you good money for your house so that they could continue research and then prove it themselves. That shouldn't be too difficult if your house is truly haunted. But from what several of you have said so far it seems that the following could be common issues:

1) It just doesn't happen that often so the odds of someone else being there when it does happen are very small. I can understand this for most people. Like I said though, there is this one guy who claims it happens every week. So I would be much more likely to believe someone who claims to have seen it rarely than someone who claims that it occurs weekly yet never tries to capitalize on it.

2) Some of you sound like you haven't even proven it to yourselves. You say that there is a ghost in your house but so far you actually just BELIEVE that there could be a ghost in your house. Since you haven't actually proven to yourself yet it makes sense that you wouldn't believe that you could prove it to someone else.

I have no problem with either of these explanations and they make perfect sense to me. Maybe that is just the nature of ghosts. I would have expected though that somewhere in the world someone would actually have regular enough sitings and a strong enough belief to have capitalized on it by now.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Well all I can do is tell you that I BELIEVE that there is something in my home that for lack of a better word or description I will call a ghost.

Bought the house and began to move in. Some of the electrical outlets needed to be replaced in the basement in the area in question. While working on the outlets I heard a noise behind me and looked back and saw someone and said "I'll be done in a second." It was then that I realized the "someone" standing there was NOT someone I know or from my family. I looked back and NO ONE was there. I went upstairs and all my family was sitting on the couch watching TV.

Second event in question I was working on a computer one night in the same area and there is a door to another room. I looked up and saw someone walk past the door toward our utility room. I was the only one home so I got up and looked and NO ONE was there. A few minutes later I saw the same "person" walk the other way.

third event I was going into the basement area again a different day to get some parts for the pool and the light bulb blew out. I was walking back toward the door where the light was coming in from when "someone" stepped out of the darkness and directly into my path. There was NO ONE in the house and all my family was out in the back yard getting ready to open up the pool. Shortly after that I weant to the store and bought three more light fixtures and wired them into the basement area. I NEVER want to be in there in the dark again.

About a week after that I was working on computers and heard some noise directly behind me in an unfinished area of the basement I finally just told whatever it was that I wasn't afraid of it and it could stay if it wanted to I didn't care. I have heard noises since then but have not seen anything since.

I cannot prove any of the above but I can tell you as sure as I am typing this I am sure that something is there.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: jb, I think the KEY here, that you think people MAY wanna make $$$$$$$$$$$ off it; I can only tell you that family ( more than one) "see"/'feel" Auntie M; and my "deceased" father DOES help me take care of my mother, and the house they BOTH lived in... it is just a "family thing". MANY people want "scientific proof" of paranormal activiites; it just DOES NOT work that way, based on MY experience. Be patient, MAYBE some day, such can be provided; ONCE upon a time... the earth was FLAT, the earth was the CENTER of the universe, man CAN NOT fly... etc. etc. :icon_study: :coffee2:
:tongue3: :thumbsup: 8)

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I remember something about the National Enquirer offering money for proof of life after death. I don't know if that is true or just because it was mentioned in the movie Beetleguise. Other then that I don't know of anyone offering any money for proven haunted houses. I DO know that tv shows about the subject make a lot of money from advertisers and there are several B&B's and other tourist attractions that make money from it but I have never seen an ad from some eccentric millionaire want to pay big $$$ for a PROVEN haunted house.

I am not saying that there isn't someone like that out there but I haven't seen it myself. Does anyone know any websites asking for that type of thing? I wouldn't want to sell them my family home but for enough money I might not be able to turn it down. I would love for them to come over and stay for a while if they like and see what they think. Maybe since I can't win the lottery I could retire that way.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
jb7487 said:
The "proof" would be that it would appear to someone else besides you. You don't need to prove it to the world. Just prove it to someone else who is willing to pay you good money for your house so that they could continue research and then prove it themselves. That shouldn't be too difficult if your house is truly haunted. But from what several of you have said so far it seems that the following could be common issues:

1) It just doesn't happen that often so the odds of someone else being there when it does happen are very small. I can understand this for most people. Like I said though, there is this one guy who claims it happens every week. So I would be much more likely to believe someone who claims to have seen it rarely than someone who claims that it occurs weekly yet never tries to capitalize on it.

2) Some of you sound like you haven't even proven it to yourselves. You say that there is a ghost in your house but so far you actually just BELIEVE that there could be a ghost in your house. Since you haven't actually proven to yourself yet it makes sense that you wouldn't believe that you could prove it to someone else.

I have no problem with either of these explanations and they make perfect sense to me. Maybe that is just the nature of ghosts. I would have expected though that somewhere in the world someone would actually have regular enough sitings and a strong enough belief to have capitalized on it by now.

Thing is, there are a lot of sightings by people other than the homeowner! There are many, many, paranormal teams that are donating their time and expertise trying to "prove" the existence of ghosts. Sightings are made ALL THE TIME! But, when the pictures/videos/EVP's are brought into the public realm....it is immediately deemed a fraud, dust on the lens, breath vapor, and so on.

Legitimate paranormal researchers do not get paid by the client that asks them to come into their home or business. We donate freely of our time and experience trying to help the owner understand what is going on. And let me tell you, when we do get some awesome footage of something that cannot be explained away, it is really disheartening to hear someone make a claim that "it was just foggy outside. Thats what that mist is".....when you know good and well the weather was clear that night.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: I think I read somewhere, that the magican, AMAZING RANDI had offered a million bucks for someone to PROVE PSYCHIC ABILITY or something... he even had a web-site or something. ??? Again, MOST people in MY experience, are NOT into this sorta thing for $$$$$$$$$$$; NICE thought, tho. :D :wink:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've lived in houses that I know contained something I couldn't explain. There were communications through sounds and voices, like when my mother called my name and sent me looking all over the yard for some explanations. And then a few months later when she did the same thing in my office on my birthday.

No, I didn't run to scientists or mediums. It's something one experiences and goes on with life. We don't all contact "professionals." Actually, I liked the experiences. It was amazing to me and my kids when we observed it. We can no longer prove it, but that doesn't stop us from waiting for the next encounter. Things happen that humans can't interpret, no matter what their credentials.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I have to admit that I am on both sides of the fence with this one ???

For one, there are just waaaaaay too many anecdotal references all over the planet for every one of them to simply be false. If you filter out all of the "solo" witnesses and count just the corroborating stories that unrelated people have told about what they saw at this place or that place at vastly different times, it still leaves a LOT of anecdotal evidence.

one example: http://www.pennsylvania-mountains-of-attractions.com/ghosthauntings.html

On the other side of the fence though, is the fact that there are several people I know who have passed away AND who, if it were possible for them to do so, would have made a point of identifying themselves to and 'haunting' the daylights out of some people. Some of them out of spite, and others out of sheer delight in the ability to have some fun with the people they loved in life, and others just to be able to "prove" their continued existence after death. For the most part, none have done any of these things.

Diggem'

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: Hmmmmmmmmm... THANKS for the PA "link"... I WILL go there NEXT time; interestingly, wife & I NOW live in BEDFORD COUNTY, VA... BEDFORD, VA is county "seat", HA! :wink: I WILL share a "bit" with you about MY
NDE "ghosties" experience, that MAY explain "hauntings". I remember coming back through the "AMBERS", in a "dark cave" between the worlds ("here" & "there")... seeing "people"/bodily images/"spirits" being around... SOME, lost in confusion. I even found my cousin who was KIA in VietNam - July, 1968... was happy to see him, yet sad, also. He had GREAT fear of "going into the LIGHT", as he was afraid of "going to h...". He was a good kid, when we were growing up; don't know about his VN "experi-
ence; I reassured him, just "coming back" from the WORLD OF LIGHT; NOTHING to fear... helped him on; it WAS weird to see him standing in soldier uniform of the 25th, next to the helicopter ( I guess he died in a helicopter). I WILL tell his brothers & sisters (my cousins), about this... PROBABLY won't believe me. BUT! I DON'T CARE... There was a LOT of FEAR from "spirits" going to THE LIGHT... fear of NEGATIVE "judgement". They CAN come back from the "AMBERS" into the "here & now" as Ghosts, etc. The "AMBERS" felt like thick molasses, and EVERYTHING was in "slow-motion"; I had to "fight" my way through the thickness, coming out of the "cave" into the "here & now"; with @ 6 months of REHAB (PT, OT, ST, etc) in TWO hospitals, back in 1993... I am sure my medical records STILL exist for the PHYSICAL restoration from that year. I have NEVER shared this to ANYONE but my wife... MAYBE, it's time to; a "on-line" e-book, is an option... DUNNO. ??? :icon_study: :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Digginman

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
"My" ghost (I'll call him that because it makes it easier to explain) has been seen by me only 4 times. There are noises at times in the house, but I really don't think it's him. I have only seen mine walking down the cellar steps. The first time I saw him, I ran upstairs and got the shotgun. I thought there was someone in the house. It's probably classified as a "residual" type of haunting. Just some leftover energy still here is about the only way I can explain it. I can't make him appear and he may never appear again. Or, he may be seen by someone else. I can't be convinced that he doesn't exist, because to me, he does.

Now, Brian is another story.

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions