Primary Interest:
Prospecting

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why you took it off ? Why is it so many bad reviews on it? Didnt keene fix the problem with them ..
i removed it because it uses too much hp and my dredge motor can't run fast enough with it .
Not sure if keene got the bugs worked out or not . But I'd never buy another ... Maybe ok just as a hookah....
It does work but how long I don't know .... Sure takes a lot of engery to run it do
Run it compared to a t-80

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
i removed it because it uses too much hp and my dredge motor can't run fast enough with it . Not sure if keene got the bugs worked out or not . But I'd never buy another ... Maybe ok just as a hookah.... It does work but how long I don't know .... Sure takes a lot of engery to run it do Run it compared to a t-80

Ill rather buy something that would last in my case. I just cant go somewhere or get another in less than a week. .

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ill rather buy something that would last in my case. I just cant go somewhere or get another in less than a week. .
probally a wise choice !
T-80 is a good pump and doesn't drag on your engine too much ...
My plan is to turn it into a shaker table or just use it for lobster diving ... But I won't put it back on a dredge.. Just bought a new t-80 a week ago......

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
probally a wise choice ! T-80 is a good pump and doesn't drag on your engine too much ... My plan is to turn it into a shaker table or just use it for lobster diving ... But I won't put it back on a dredge.. Just bought a new t-80 a week ago......
The T-80 put out hardly air for one person. If you need to dredge @ around 15 feet i think you can probably dredge but with moving rock and needing a higher oxygen levels ; you will end up wanting go to the surface to grasp for air.. I want more air than needed for when i need to take a deep breath i can.

Edit: i think you need about 2cfm per diver. The t-80 does 1.8 @45 psi. .

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P, I have no such issue with my T-80. I wonder where you are getting this info. I can not breath enough to run it down on air. I know I can run 2 divers with it. A few simple mods to really make the T80 rock. Drill out the silver filter cap, change pulley's, bigger reserve tank and your good to go. There may be another mod you have to do... maybe different pop-off.

G, The 2 T80's I am buying for 75 each will be here tomorrow. I got a good deal on them I'm thinking.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The T-80 put out hardly air for one person. If you need to dredge @ around 15 feet i think you can probably dredge but with moving rock and needing a higher oxygen levels ; you will end up wanting go to the surface to grasp for air.. I want more air than needed for when i need to take a deep breath i can. Edit: i think you need about 2cfm per diver. The t-80 does 1.8 @45 psi. .
oh your wrong .. Must be something matter with yours! Iv dove 2 people on t-80

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
So i dont know the exact amount needed i read up on it and it said something about one diver can consume around 1-2cfm but the thing is that at max 20 feet you will just need around 19psi which the pump is producing pretty much enough for 2.

The thing my pump i need to normally keep it around 25psi for it to keep pressure inside and doesnt comes out through a valve on the pump sometimes the pressure builds up to around 40-50psi that makes it produce less air. Remember is a puma pump.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So i dont know the exact amount needed i read up on it and it said something about one diver can consume around 1-2cfm but the thing is that at max 20 feet you will just need around 19psi which the pump is producing pretty much enough for 2. The thing my pump i need to normally keep it around 25psi for it to keep pressure inside and doesnt comes out through a valve on the pump sometimes the pressure builds up to around 40-50psi that makes it produce less air. Remember is a puma pump.
get ya a t-80
Or I have that magic kac-1 it moves a lot more air ...lol don't know how long thou...
I have a gast buit on a electric motor 110 volt .. It will dive 3 divers

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My pop off is set at 45psi and while I'm diving it's constantly poping. So if its not building up, its time for a field service kit. Check the reed valves, plate for both the intake/exhaust.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
My pop off is set at 45psi and while I'm diving it's constantly poping. So if its not building up, its time for a field service kit. Check the reed valves, plate for both the intake/exhaust.

It builds up well when the exit is attached well and is not escaping or if the drive belt is getting wet cause of pump seal is bad. But it builds pressure well after 25psi it seals up and charge up well. As soon as i could get in the water ima try to supply air for two divers with the puma pump to see if is good enough. If anything ill just buy a tank and i already bought a good inline filter. I think this might just do it for now. The puma pump puts out 4cfm @ free air.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It builds up well when the exit is attached well and is not escaping or if the drive belt is getting wet cause of pump seal is bad. But it builds pressure well after 25psi it seals up and charge up well. As soon as i could get in the water ima try to supply air for two divers with the puma pump to see if is good enough. If anything ill just buy a tank and i already bought a good inline filter. I think this might just do it for now. The puma pump puts out 4cfm @ free air.
How long have ya been diving p?

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Free air is not what to look for. You want like 3cfm at its max pressure or something like that.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed, but if its 4cfm free flow but only .1cfm at max pressure then to me it's worthless. I wouldn't risk me life or anyone's with a pump like that. Again I am no expert when it comes to diving and air but there is a minimum you need to be safe.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't ever want to run any of these pumps at max pressure !
They won't last long ..I only put as much as needed ..I alway remove the preset pop offs and put a adjustable one ..
The higher the pressure the higher the heat and the less life your pump will have...

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh that explains why I go through diaphragms like crazy. Guess I better get a adjustable pop off.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
You don't ever want to run any of these pumps at max pressure ! They won't last long ..I only put as much as needed ..I alway remove the preset pop offs and put a adjustable one .. The higher the pressure the higher the heat and the less life your pump will have...
And the less air you get .. When you build more pressure than is needed to dive you stress the pump and it produces less air but at higher pressure.

Thats a good idea if is adjustable ; you could have it set as low as maybe 10psi right ? I think is about the same air out put omni as a T80 or if not a bit more . At 45psi the t80 is producting 1.8cfm . The pca-10 does 6cfm at free air and 5cfm at 40psi. I have like a year .. But i when i was in the gold we would stay there and put long hours we once was dredging in night time all the way to 12am with headlamps. We didnt have wetsuits and the water is warm at those hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread