Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Dont They Join?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Don't They Join?

This coin is only one of nearly 50 dug from 1 hole. They were in some sort of leather or fabric container but that just fell apart with the digging.

Here's the photo, if you'd like to know the whole story...see my next post in this thread.

Badger

Attachments

• coinS.jpg
    coinS.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,214
  • coinSb.jpg
    coinSb.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Don't They Join?

bscofield6 said:
I know that if I made any great finds I would not be posting them here or anywhere else. If you are finding great finds on a regular basis that have some significant monetary value then I bet the government will find out one way or another. Maybe they have people who troll these boards, or somebody that is jealous on these boards might report you to them since they are jealous of your finds.

Either way, if I found a coin of any real value, i.e. over $1,000 I would probably keep it to myself. If I was finding several of them a month I would definately keep my mouth shut.

We may all be sure we're being watched ;)

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

Stevesno .. dont let the jerks both you, once they see what is out there to be found they would want to go with you.

As far as people watching, to me if I found a half dollar that was worth a $1000 dollars, unless I sold it and it was just sitting in my collection, than all the IRS could hope, was for me to claim 50 cents more on my income.

I do agree .. if you find a really great find tens of thousands or million dollar find .. then you need to keep your mouth closed .. and not let anyone .. even family know what you have recovered. I have been researching a million dollars cache of gold coins (well $50,000 in gold coin in 1896, over a million today) in northern michigan, if I you no longer see me .. that means I have found it ..

well .. nuff said ...

Tom

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

This was a very interesting thread....

By the way, a few years ago I found a Spanish coin, but this one was not made of silver and had the effigy of Francisco Franco instead of King Alfonso.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Old Tom said:
Stevesno .. dont let the jerks both you, once they see what is out there to be found they would want to go with you.

As far as people watching, to me if I found a half dollar that was worth a $1000 dollars, unless I sold it and it was just sitting in my collection, than all the IRS could hope, was for me to claim 50 cents more on my income.

I do agree .. if you find a really great find tens of thousands or million dollar find .. then you need to keep your mouth closed .. and not let anyone .. even family know what you have recovered. I have been researching a million dollars cache of gold coins (well $50,000 in gold coin in 1896, over a million today) in northern michigan, if I you no longer see me .. that means I have found it ..

well .. nuff said ...

Tom

Yes, there are some big treasure stories for Michigan.

I think there are thousands of small caches in every state ranging in size from a face value of $100 to $1000+. Today these silver dollar and/or gold coin caches would be worth a considerable amount.

Each year some of these are found and most are probably not reported.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
cheezinoot said:
What kind of MD does your friend use?

Explorer XS I pro.

Badger

Hmmm..... what makes it an XS 1 Pro? Minelab has only made an XS and II models.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

bscofield6 said:
Michigan Badger said:
cheezinoot said:
What kind of MD does your friend use?

Explorer XS I pro.

Badger

Hmmm..... what makes it an XS 1 Pro? Minelab has only made an XS and II models.

I don't know? This is just what he wrote to me in an email. I don't use Minelab myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions