Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Dont They Join?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• coinS.jpg
    coinS.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,214
  • coinSb.jpg
    coinSb.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Upvote 0

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Re: Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Don't They Join?

I know what you mean as far as luck goes, Ive got a buddy who has been detecting for years, he is the one responsible for sparking my interest & getting me started 5 months ago. He is the luckiest bastard I know! My machine is very close in ability to his yet he smokes me everytime! He finds nice gold rings, sterling pendants...........EVERYTIME we go out! I dont get it, I cant explain it, he is just plain lucky! Ive watched him closely thinking he uses some technique but I realy believe he is comfortable with his machine & he just gets into "the zone", positive thinking, & lots of luck! He doesnt like computers & doesnt detect very much right now, but if he did hunt as much as I do & posted all his finds here Im sure he'd be getting a lot of grief & slack from non-believers! Luck has a lot to do with it & lets face it................some people have all the luck! (unfortunately I dont!) ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

You are certainly right about what you said,
a lot of people here wouldn't believe him
and would place nasty comments or send harrassing PMs.

I have received some nastys recently
questioning my integrity and it's not fun,
it squishes my mojo and ruins the good parts of this forum for me.

Smiles!
BDoo

Somebody attacked you? ??? Heck, you're about the nicest person on this whole site. I don't get that ???

Now me on the other hand ::), I'm cantankerous, opinionated, and sometimes down right obnoxious, so the nasty PM's about me are to be expected. In fact, I sometimes thrive on them.

But you?! man...we do have some sickos.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Old Tom said:
Badger,
I was in a club in Virginia where we had a guy who would buy old coins and bring them to the meetings to show those coins and say he found them. Tom

You almost have to pity these people. They're so starving for attention they'll stoop to almost anything to get some.

But here I've chosen to be optimistic and give people the benefit of the doubt. I've seen a few that were obviously fraudulent but these usually don't last long. There are some others that are very questionable but I figure I could be wrong. So, with every post I try my best to think it's the real thing. I find I'm much happier that way.

I will say this though, it's not so much the value and number of great finds posted here that troubles me. It's when somebody posts a bunch of "dug items" and forgets to remove the antique store price stickers ;D

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Thanks for the tease Badger... ;D

No, really cool stuff, the world is full of idiot buttheads, just today on the way back from getting lunch, some jerk-off runs a stop sign, nearly hits me, I honk and he flips me off. >:( The best thing is just to ignore those wastes of human flesh and keep one's head above the bull that seems to get deeper every day.

Posting for historical sake is important, everyone learns and everyone benefits from the information. I personally love to know about the trading and movements of people way back when. :)

HH

JW

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

PhotoTJ said:
Hey, I live in California. Ask if he need a protige' ! :D

Gee whiz, I don't know partner! Maybe you could put an ad in the paper:

"Lonely treasure hunter seeking a relationship with someone who knows of a big fat treasure site."

Well, maybe not in those same words but something close.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Mighty AP said:
I know what you mean as far as luck goes, Ive got a buddy who has been detecting for years, he is the one responsible for sparking my interest & getting me started 5 months ago. He is the luckiest #@!$%#@! I know! ;D

Ya, I know just what you mean. Some just have it, others of us don't.

Badger

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Reading these posts got to thinking about an apparently fine line between hobby and obsession.

I began metal detecting because I enjoyed history and the finds we make all have some history behind them. I also really enjoy research. I love nothing more than to be given something to find out more information about and to defend a position based on my hours and hours of research. I guess this explains my future plans to be a lawyer and my current job working in a law firm's conflicts/research/records section.

But I must confess that as I have found coins, etc that may have some value to them, the need to find more coins that are worth more and at a decent clip to possibly supplement my annual income is lucrative. I believe at this point the "hobby" turns into an addiction or obsession.

I want to stay on the hobby side because that was my original intent.

For those who are jealous of others finds. I'm confused at where the jealousy is placed. Jealous could be that simply they didn't find it, whether it was of value or not. The jealousy might also be the more obsession kind that they couldn't profit from the finds others have made.

The last time I checked, metal detecting isn't a race. Be happy for those who make exciting discoveries, whether it eventually happens to you is inevitable if you keep at long enough. Shoot, you could be metal detecting against a brick wall everyday and never find anything until that one coin that a bricklayer dropped in the cement comes staring out at you. Hey, it's possible!

I appreciate you listening to my rant, somewhat off target maybe but nevertheless.

I emphatically end this post with happy (non -jealous) hunting!

-Hunter

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As my son use to say when he was three, "Daddy, you 'tendin' like" in regards to my metal detecting. The guys that find the really big finds are for real! They aren't 'tendin' like... When I've gone in hunting gems and minerals in mines, there's guys in there that you read about in magazines that are serious about what they are doing and take the steps to become proficient at what they are doing. It removes most of the "luck" factor that I count on so heavily in most of my gem and mineral hunting as well as my md'ing. I love to read about them though, it keeps me going, but not going far enough to put all my effort into it. Then it would become a job, and I'm already doing one of those and making enough to keep my hobbies rolling in the process.

This is fun stuff and thanks for sharing,
Ramapirate

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

50 Coins......Thats what I call a good day of detecting.........Nothing But smiles all day long after that !!!

Great Job !!!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

hbeaton said:
Reading these posts got to thinking about an apparently fine line between hobby and obsession.

I began metal detecting because I enjoyed history and the finds we make all have some history behind them. I also really enjoy research. I love nothing more than to be given something to find out more information about and to defend a position based on my hours and hours of research. I guess this explains my future plans to be a lawyer and my current job working in a law firm's conflicts/research/records section.

But I must confess that as I have found coins, etc that may have some value to them, the need to find more coins that are worth more and at a decent clip to possibly supplement my annual income is lucrative. I believe at this point the "hobby" turns into an addiction or obsession.

I want to stay on the hobby side because that was my original intent.

For those who are jealous of others finds. I'm confused at where the jealousy is placed. Jealous could be that simply they didn't find it, whether it was of value or not. The jealousy might also be the more obsession kind that they couldn't profit from the finds others have made.

The last time I checked, metal detecting isn't a race. Be happy for those who make exciting discoveries, whether it eventually happens to you is inevitable if you keep at long enough. Shoot, you could be metal detecting against a brick wall everyday and never find anything until that one coin that a bricklayer dropped in the cement comes staring out at you. Hey, it's possible!

I appreciate you listening to my rant, somewhat off target maybe but nevertheless.

I emphatically end this post with happy (non -jealous) hunting!

-Hunter

Good post hbeaton! I started reading your posts about a year or two ago and I knew then you were going places in life. You're a sharp fellow with great potential.

You mentioned your desire to one day practice law. This brought back memories to me of the "old days." A long time ago I took this written and oral "IQ" exam and at the end the tester said this: "Tell me the first thing that comes to mind. A noisy shallow brook filled with rocks and fast moving waters."

I didn't hesitate one second I said: "People who know the least tend to talk the loudest." I shall never forget the look on that man's face.

The next day I received the final report. I was offered a top position and was told I was most suited for employment in the field of "Logic and Debate" or in otherwords...law. Or I could also be Clergy.

I never tell who I really am nor does that really even matter. The point is, follow through with your dreams my friend and always remember that true treasure is often not what people think.

End of sermon...maybe I should consider the Church???? ;D

PhotoTJ

Apr 12, 2005
The Pacific Coast, Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GTI 2500, Sea Hunter II. I like Garrett!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
Gee whiz, I don't know partner! Maybe you could put an ad in the paper:

"Lonely treasure hunter seeking a relationship with someone who knows of a big fat treasure site."

Well, maybe not in those same words but something close.

Badger

Well, it's all about the phrasing, isn't it?
"Inexperienced treasure hunter seeks the guidance of a Master of the game."

Sounds better that way. Good luck to him, although it doesn't look like he needs it!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Ramapirate said:
As my son use to say when he was three, "Daddy, you 'tendin' like" in regards to my metal detecting. The guys that find the really big finds are for real! They aren't 'tendin' like... When I've gone in hunting gems and minerals in mines, there's guys in there that you read about in magazines that are serious about what they are doing and take the steps to become proficient at what they are doing. It removes most of the "luck" factor that I count on so heavily in most of my gem and mineral hunting as well as my md'ing. I love to read about them though, it keeps me going, but not going far enough to put all my effort into it. Then it would become a job, and I'm already doing one of those and making enough to keep my hobbies rolling in the process.

This is fun stuff and thanks for sharing,
Ramapirate

Good stuff and thanks for sharing it. That's one very bright son you have there!

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

The Seeker said:
50 Coins......Thats what I call a good day of detecting.........Nothing But smiles all day long after that !!!

Great Job !!!

Ya, if my buddy keeps going he might just make it up to your level.

I know of few like you.

Badger

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

I just realized I know who you are talking about... :D (that only took 6 hours...)

And yes, he is a great guy.

HH

JW

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I think we've all wandered off topic here a bit ;D

But getting back, lets encourage those who make those BIG finds to tell and show all!

Show us your great big finds...and small ones too ;)

Badger

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are the same people on this forum time after time playing the part of the Devils Advocate. I agree with Badger whole heartily that these people are starved for attention.
I for one greatly appreciate those who take the time to share their findings with us. Think about it...those who post are not doing so to boast or brag,they are doing so because they want to share their enjoyment of this hobby with others. I have been detecting for 30 years but I still get excited when I uncover something of value from the past. It's that same feeling that I had with my very first find! Once hooked you are hooked for life.
I used to be ridiculed in school because I was seen riding my bike all over town with my detector strapped to my back. I got tired of defending myself and this hobby and just ignored the derogatory remarks. I would suggest to those who are singled out by these "negative" people not to get caught up in their trap and stoop to their level that is what they want.
The rewards of this hobby are numerous. Enjoy and please keep sharing those experiences with us....Steve

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

stevesno said:
There are the same people on this forum time after time playing the part of the Devils Advocate. I agree with Badger whole heartily that these people are starved for attention.
I for one greatly appreciate those who take the time to share their findings with us. Think about it...those who post are not doing so to boast or brag,they are doing so because they want to share their enjoyment of this hobby with others. I have been detecting for 30 years but I still get excited when I uncover something of value from the past. It's that same feeling that I had with my very first find! Once hooked you are hooked for life.
I used to be ridiculed in school because I was seen riding my bike all over town with my detector strapped to my back. I got tired of defending myself and this hobby and just ignored the derogatory remarks. I would suggest to those who are singled out by these "negative" people not to get caught up in their trap and stoop to their level that is what they want.
The rewards of this hobby are numerous. Enjoy and please keep sharing those experiences with us....Steve

Excellent and I totally agree!

"those who post are not doing so to boast or brag,they are doing so because they want to share their enjoyment of this hobby with others"

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that if I made any great finds I would not be posting them here or anywhere else. If you are finding great finds on a regular basis that have some significant monetary value then I bet the government will find out one way or another. Maybe they have people who troll these boards, or somebody that is jealous on these boards might report you to them since they are jealous of your finds.

Either way, if I found a coin of any real value, i.e. over $1,000 I would probably keep it to myself. If I was finding several of them a month I would definately keep my mouth shut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread