Colonial to Civil War - 1803 LC, Bone Tooth Brush, 41 Buttons, and much more!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out twice this weekend to do some more sifting for a total of 12 hours moving and picking through piles of dirt. Its hard work, but as I said in my previous posts, an incredible amount of fun. The first trip this weekend was only 4 hours long and the part of the pit I opened up didn't have all that much compared to today. Today, I spent 8 hours and had one of the best days I've ever had in the field.

I've read articles and seen first hand, just how many targets are masked. Weather it be an audible iron masking or silent iron masking, we walk over much more than we actually find. With the exception of the thimble and CW "O" hat insignia, every one of the metal targets in these pictures were 100% masked. I'll show a picture of the iron that was masking them at the bottom, but its at least a couple hundred square and rose-head nails from today's pit with various other iron bits. The thimble and hat insignia I dug while swinging a few yards from the pit to give my back a break between digging.

Here it is:
41 buttons: 7 Bone, 7 Shell, 2 Black glass (one with an elephant), engraved Dandys, flat buttons, porcelain, lead, pewter and iron buttons!
Two Flint Lock Musket Flints - Some of my favorites
The Bone toothbrush is another favorite. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner, but I almost sifted all my dirt at the end of the day and that turned up
Two Pipe Bowls - A whole pipe bowl has been a goal of mine for a while. I shattered the first one removing the dirt from the pit and was pretty upset with myself. A few hours later a complete one surfaced (much older one too) and I couldn't stop smiling. I glued the one I broke back together.
7 1/2 clay marbles
... and lots more.

IMG_20150913_190106249.jpg IMG_20150913_190114733.jpg

*Check out the slate "pencils" and piece of slate tablet I found in the bottom left of the picture (above). Works just like it did in c. 1850. I have found 11 slate and one soap stone "pencils" in this pit so far. I'm sure the person who practiced their writing and math over 160 years ago, couldn't imagine someone would dig it up, write "T-NET 2015" and share it electronically. ha

This is my 3rd "Surprise LC" from this place. Two were silent masked and one was iron masked with no high tones on any of them. It makes my hunt when one of these surfaces totally unexpected. This is also my 1st draped bust LC that I could get a date off of - 1803. All my other Draped Bust LC's are identifiable, but too toasted to get a date.

IMG_20150913_172136343_HDR.jpg IMG_20150913_172104994_HDR.jpg

These two engraved buttons still have their silver plating. The appear to be a brass composition. The larger dandy one is a cast one piece button. Both still have shanks intact.

IMG_20150913_190012060.jpg IMG_20150913_190040869.jpg

When this "O" turned up I thought it might be a CW insignia... but was unsure because its missing its attachment point. The Howard Crouch CW Artifacts book has what appears to be a similar insignia in it... so I do believe that is what it is!

IMG_20150913_190017893.jpg IMG_20150913_191924515.jpg

I couldn't believe my eyes when a flint showed up in my sifter. I sorta knew what they looked like but this was the first one I saw in person. The very next screen of dirt had a second one. They are really cool relics to me and both are my first flints.

IMG_20150913_190050192.jpg

IMG_20150913_190125981.jpg IMG_20150913_190133355.jpg

This carved bone tooth brush was jaw dropping to me. Previously I had only found pieces of one. Its in great shape and one of my all time favorite relics.

IMG_20150913_190139175.jpg IMG_20150913_190150101.jpg

*Edit: Subterranean ID'ed this piece of bone as part of a "violin bow"... its not a wood planer like I guessed below, but a piece to a violin.*

And then there is this bone tool! Its carved and doesn't appear broken in any places. My very first thought when I saw it was that its a small wood planer for tapering edges... You can still buy planers this small and even smaller. The bottom has a small edge on one side with the underside raised. After the opening, the underside is no longer raised and the edge disappears. If it is a planer, then I am unsure on the blade attachment unless it was just wedged into the opening on the bottom. Open too all ideas\theories on what this might be...
IMG_20150913_181458064_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150913_181519183_HDR.jpg IMG_20150913_181527497.jpg

The rest of it from today. There is a couple hundred pieces of iron in there... mostly nails, but also cauldron pot pieces, scissor handles, knives, hooks, keys, tools... etc. If you find yourself in an area that produces old relics, and you locate an iron patch... dig a test hole! If you see pottery\shell\glass, SIFT! Its hard work, but totally worth it at the right spots. It doesn't matter what coil or machine, or how slow you go in the iron, you are missing some of the best stuff down there.... and its not all metal!
IMG_20150913_181221888.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply awesome,thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "bone tool" reminds me of the end of a violin bow...congrats on a super hunt with amazing goodies! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "bone tool" reminds me of the end of a violin bow...congrats on a super hunt with amazing goodies! Sub 8-)

Subterranean, you just NAILED IT! I google imaged violin bow and you're spot on. I would have never guess that. Thanks a ton.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some awesome finds.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subterranean, you just NAILED IT! I google imaged violin bow and you're spot on. I would have never guess that. Thanks a ton.

You are welcome my brother, it makes it that much sweeter to know those boys were at least entertained by some fiddle while in camp. You know the harmonica, bugle, and drum jumped in too! Sub 8-)

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad, were do I start??
You were killing me all day, sending me pics and text. I felt like I was right there with you! Getting all excited with out all the work! Lol
Man you killed it. It could not of happen to a nicer guy, who really appreciates history and takes good care of it!!
You should take a few pucs of your display case from this site.
The best thing I like is the TNET 2015 on the slate.. And the part about if they only knew that with in 5min 20,000 people are going to see there trash!!!! Wow.
Im sure they couldn't comprehend cars let alone Internet..Haha..
Excellent post and write up.
Congrats, I know you will be sore tomorrow. .
George

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Your hunt is mind boggling! I need a few more minutes to take it all in but a major congrats! That's it, I'm going sifting tomorrow!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
such cool stuff we miss when we just use a detector, whether its due to iron masking, or the relics simply not being metal, we miss so much, this sifting thing is really peaking my interest and I have just the place in mind to give it a shot!, goodjob, great finds!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love using a sifter too, but man its some hard work...unless you have two guys, one shoveling and one sifting. Great that you did so well.:thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazed at what you've pulled from there buddy. I have a LOT of early sites I need to start sifting Id say. Knowing how much stuff is masked and how much great early stuff I've found at some of my sites in definitely gonna have to sift. My NE Shilking might be in there lol. Great work buddy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You certainly were rewarded for the effort put into sifting. Yes the sifting is hard work but when a hole is producing it's just all fun. Congrats on the great assortment of finds, each on their own would put a smile on my mug.
Just wondering in pic. #11 the curved piece between the tailor thimble and the repaired pipe bowl?
Wondering if you have picture of the sifter you use, have a couple now but thinking modifying them into something that makes it less work.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you're killing it in the pits Brad! Just when you think it's getting a little boring or the finds start diminishing, you go and tap the mother lode. And I think you still have a long way to go. Congrats on all the firsts, and hope to see more from you soon. And great post BTW .....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original post reflects the reason that I seldom use very much discrimination unless I'm strictly looking for coins in a park.
Patience is the key.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an amazing post and a fantastic piece of work. First I've seen of how many targets are actually masked by iron and also how many non-detectable good targets can be found. I'm getting more and more excited about doing some sifting when the weather cools down a bit. Great job brother and hopefully we'll speak this week! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank's Everyone!

I forgot to mention the Indian Head Cent in my original post. Its an 1875 IH and for the first time ever, I was upset to find one. ha I've pulled 15 Coppers and 4 silvers from this spot. The spot is colonial to mid 1800's and I had a theory that would have dated it to a year or two after the Civil War. Prior to the IH showing up, my most modern coin was 1837. So when I saw the IH I was thinking it might be a reale and then I realized what it was. So my site might date a bit later than my theory, but most of my finds there are early to mid 1800's with some colonial artifacts here and there.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank's Everyone!

I forgot to mention the Indian Head Cent in my original post. Its an 1875 IH and for the first time ever, I was upset to find one. ha I've pulled 15 Coppers and 4 silvers from this spot. The spot is colonial to mid 1800's and I had a theory that would have dated it to a year or two after the Civil War. Prior to the IH showing up, my most modern coin was 1837. So when I saw the IH I was thinking it might be a reale and then I realized what it was. So my site might date a bit later than my theory, but most of my finds there are early to mid 1800's with some colonial artifacts here and there.

Could it be that the 1875 was in the upper layer and slipped down into the digging area and appeared to be part of the original older finds? It kind of throws a wrench into the thinking gears when this happens.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly were rewarded for the effort put into sifting. Yes the sifting is hard work but when a hole is producing it's just all fun. Congrats on the great assortment of finds, each on their own would put a smile on my mug.
Just wondering in pic. #11 the curved piece between the tailor thimble and the repaired pipe bowl?
Wondering if you have picture of the sifter you use, have a couple now but thinking modifying them into something that makes it less work.

So true, its so much fun you forget how exhausted you are. I went to leave and wondered if I could even make it back to my truck. ha After I posted this, I was too tired to eat and just crashed hard and slept like a rock.

I think that curved thing is another claw, but maybe its a tooth. Its huge!

Right now I'm suing some small hand sifters that I made. I think I put a picture of them in one of my sifting posts from a few weeks ago. I need to modify them and add some legs so I can save my back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread