DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED2

D

dugupfinds

My Dad joined the hunt today & used my back-up machine. We had to find somewhere new to do as I had finished the Sheep Field & Bullet Field. We drove to 1 farm but the grass was too long. So my dad suggested another field which had be eaten down flat by more sheep.

Normally I choose the hunt area but being a huge field I let him choose. He decided we should do the furthest corner.

As it got dark all we had were a few bits, the highlights being:

Broken Tudor Clothes fastener.
Medieval Coin Weight
Very worn Lizy Hammered silver coin
A roman Coin (not pictured as I left it around my dads to clean). Rang me and identified it as:
AE4 of Honorius AD395-423 (Roman's left Britain in 410)
Rev: Victory advancing left carrying trophy & dragging captive with Chi-Rho in field
This is my latest Roman Bronze coin!

On the way back to the car we kept our detectors on. Half way there I heard Dad get a good signal. After he dug it I said "Any good". No just a chisel thingy. So I carried on back to the car thinking it was iron rubbish. When we got there he was sorting out the rubbish & throwing it in the hedge. I looked over his shoulder and saw what I have only dreamed of finding. A Bronze Age Axe head. I picked it up & said "You know what this is". He said "well I wondered but it seemed to well made". ;D

Needs more research but it dates to about 1500BC thats 3500 years old!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Here is a similar type in a museum:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ges?q=bronze+age+axe+head&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

Attachments

• bits.JPG
    bits.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,138
  • bronze age axe head.JPG
    bronze age axe head.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,125
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Re: DAY 1 the HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>

JT2 said:
Hi again Dugfinds

"The bad side is for those like me who are honest enough to declare Treasure have to wait over 1.5 years to get the money (or object back if they don't want it). Believe me I know its very slow & sucks, seeing as I have to hand them in within 14 days of finding it! Their guidelines say it should take 1 year which is plenty of time, right?"

So they take your item for up to 1.5 years and then they determine whether they give you money or the item back? Huh? What if you don't want to sell it but keep it yourself or sell it yourself?

Sorry should have explained. They only take it away if it falls under the terms of the Act. ie. that it is potential treasure. Treasure is defined as an object that is over 300 years old and has 10% or more silver or gold content. It excludes single gold & silver coin finds, but includes various not silver/gold objects found in association with treasure.

By law if something is treasure then it is the crowns property until they disclaim it. If I keep it and sell it without declaring it (like many do) I could be breaking the Law. There is a long process which I won't bore you with but it takes 1.5 years to complete.

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Re: DAY 1 on the HUGE FIELD........<<AMAZING FIND>>

Skrimpy said:
Laird said:
...thats a crackin find mate ...

Crackin? I would have cracked some skulls if that thing had gotten thrown out! jk :)

To be fair to my Dad. When I said - picked it up & said "You know what this is". I picked it up out of his hand. He wasn't going to throw it with the other rubbish until he had shown me.

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

WOW!!!!!!!

Awesome find! Hope the REALLY old stuff keeps coming for you!

Have fun,
Salvager

P.S.
Love your signature block!

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic finds - the stuff dreams are made of. Well done

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

OMG! I would have gone nuts if I'd find something like that! ;D

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Know thats a great find and a find of a life time for most :o

D

doyboy

Bloody hell, I would keep all of the coins and relics I found. :D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

dugfinds said:
To be fair to my Dad. When I said - picked it up & said "You know what this is". I picked it up out of his hand. He wasn't going to throw it with the other rubbish until he had shown me.

:D haha! I wasn't saying your dad was gonna toss it! I was just playing. No offense meant and hopefully none taken by anyone. My apologies. Nice peice you got there. If you're going to sell that sucker, I would sell it on this side of the pond. Sounds like it might be a crime to sell it over there.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

The thought of finding such an ancient and awesome dig is unfathomable to me. Yours....3500 years old...MINE? 99.9% 35 years or younger. :-\ hmmmmmmm

Very awesome finds you have there!

~Nash~

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Skrimpy said:
dugfinds said:

:D haha! I wasn't saying your dad was gonna toss it! I was just playing. No offense meant and hopefully none taken by anyone. My apologies. Nice peice you got there. If you're going to sell that sucker, I would sell it on this side of the pond. Sounds like it might be a crime to sell it over there.

No offense taken. I was just clearing up the confusion by some, that my Dad may have chucked it.

Its only a crime to sell it if the item or items are treasure & you failed to report it. If you report it you eventually get the market value/or item back and a report of what it is. So you still get the money, however, I think it unfair to take over 1.5 years to get the money/item.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

packerbacker said:
Hell yeah!!....sharpen that sucka up and chop onions with it! ;D

Not sidetrack the thread but, that was pretty funny! ;)

Ridley

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

dugfinds said:
No offense taken. I was just clearing up the confusion by some, that my Dad may have chucked it.
Its only a crime to sell it if the item or items are treasure & you failed to report it. If you report it you eventually get the market value/or item back and a report of what it is. So you still get the money, however, I think it unfair to take over 1.5 years to get the money/item.
At least they do things right over on your side of the pond. There's all kinds of rules and red tape in every state, concerning artifacts, gold, and silver, if items are found to be of a certain age, worth a certain dollar amount, or historically significant (I think single coin finds are negligable)...if found on state property. If found on private property, it's up to the landowner what happens but I'm sure if the find was historically significant or worth a substantial amount the govt would step in and say..."technically this was state property before a land patent was issued..." and then if they don't feel like being b@$t@rds some states will give a "finders fee". Do you have to claim it on your taxes if they pay you the money?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If I would have thrown that in the "hedge" the Wife would have killed me...not for being so old ....just because I threw it in the hedge.....Nothing but Great!!!!...Keep us posted on any developement's,awesome find to you and your Dad!!!

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Skrimpy said:
dugfinds said:
At least they do things right over on your side of the pond. There's all kinds of rules and red tape in every state, concerning artifacts, gold, and silver, if items are found to be of a certain age, worth a certain dollar amount, or historically significant (I think single coin finds are negligable)...if found on state property. If found on private property, it's up to the landowner what happens but I'm sure if the find was historically significant or worth a substantial amount the govt would step in and say..."technically this was state property before a land patent was issued..." and then if they don't feel like being b@$t@rds some states will give a "finders fee". Do you have to claim it on your taxes if they pay you the money?

Yes you get taxed on it.

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Amazing Axe Dug! As always, your finds are the stuff we newbies can only dream of! WTG!!! :o
Now don't let it go to your head. ;)
D.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy moses...outstanding...why isn't this up on the banner???

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

romeo-1 said:
Holy moses...outstanding...why isn't this up on the banner???

Good question, but not for me to decide.

RED THUNDER

Dec 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

Awesome finds! Motor on!

Red Thunder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread