DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED2

D

dugupfinds

My Dad joined the hunt today & used my back-up machine. We had to find somewhere new to do as I had finished the Sheep Field & Bullet Field. We drove to 1 farm but the grass was too long. So my dad suggested another field which had be eaten down flat by more sheep.

Normally I choose the hunt area but being a huge field I let him choose. He decided we should do the furthest corner.

As it got dark all we had were a few bits, the highlights being:

Broken Tudor Clothes fastener.
Medieval Coin Weight
Very worn Lizy Hammered silver coin
A roman Coin (not pictured as I left it around my dads to clean). Rang me and identified it as:
AE4 of Honorius AD395-423 (Roman's left Britain in 410)
Rev: Victory advancing left carrying trophy & dragging captive with Chi-Rho in field
This is my latest Roman Bronze coin!

On the way back to the car we kept our detectors on. Half way there I heard Dad get a good signal. After he dug it I said "Any good". No just a chisel thingy. So I carried on back to the car thinking it was iron rubbish. When we got there he was sorting out the rubbish & throwing it in the hedge. I looked over his shoulder and saw what I have only dreamed of finding. A Bronze Age Axe head. I picked it up & said "You know what this is". He said "well I wondered but it seemed to well made". ;D

Needs more research but it dates to about 1500BC thats 3500 years old!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Here is a similar type in a museum:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ges?q=bronze+age+axe+head&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

Attachments

• bits.JPG
    bits.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,138
  • bronze age axe head.JPG
    bronze age axe head.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,125
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Re: DAY 1 the HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>

dgaughan said:
alright now you guys are just showing off. i can't wait to hear what you guys are going to find next. congrats to you and your dad hh

dylan

I am going to cover this site carefully.

I am so thrilled!!!

T

TreasureTales

dugfinds said:
dgaughan said:
alright now you guys are just showing off. i can't wait to hear what you guys are going to find next. congrats to you and your dad hh

dylan

I've just checked out Google earth & right where we found it is a double ring feature. Maybe a Bronze Age settlement or burial mound.

I am so thrilled!!!

I guess we'll be seeing many more interesting and ancient finds because of this new revelation. I can't wait!! Bring on the relics!!! You know, lots of us TNetters would certainly enjoy a little trip to jolly ol' England...couldn't you use some help? J/K-not

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why are you still on line...get back out there...I would be camping on the site! ;D

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon

That is so awsome ,I wish we could find relics that old around here because at this spot we call the forks used to be an indian meeting place on thier fur trade route about 1000 > 3000 yrs ago .

I CAN'T WAIT TILL ALL THIS SNOW GOES AWAY :'( :'( :'(

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Re: DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED

Here are the pictures of the Roman Coin found on Sunday.

Its a:

AE4 of Honorius AD395-423 (Roman's left Britain in 410)
Rev: Victory advancing left carrying trophy & dragging captive with Chi-Rho in field.

I am so excited about this site I have taken Friday off work to do some more. I can't say too much at the moment but what I have is significant.........

Attachments

• head.JPG
    head.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • tails.JPG
    tails.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,509
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Having looked at the aerial photographic carefully.

I believe I have found a National Heritage site that should be scheduled. Its a four ring ditched feature around a central burial. Its on top of a hill, not only that I have spotted the Bronze Age enclosure where the important cheifian lived which looked up onto to the burial site.

This is a find of a lifetime for sure. (although I have said this a couple of times now!)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dugfinds said:

I believe I have found a National Heritage site that should be scheduled. Its a four ring ditched feature around a central burial. Its on top of a hill, not only that I have spotted the Bronze Age enclosure where the important cheifian lived which looked up onto to the burial site.

This is a find of a lifetime for sure. (although I have said this a couple of times now!)

Amazing That you found this site and fifty years of aircraft both high and low geographic surveying by numerous governemt departments missed this site.Aeral surveying is done for numerous reasons from weed control, affects of agriculiture to finding archeaological sites and ensure local building codes are complyed too.
Then they use satilite imagery which is just so accurate to a mm.

tinpan "might have to call you Dr Carter" ;) ;) ;)

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

tinpan said:
dugfinds said:

Amazing That you found this site and fifty years of aircraft both high and low geographic surveying by numerous governemt departments missed this site.Aeral surveying is done for numerous reasons from weed control, affects of agriculiture to finding archeaological sites and ensure local building codes are complyed too.
Then they use satilite imagery which is just so accurate to a mm.

tinpan "might have to call you Dr Carter" ;) ;) ;)

I have looked at many aerial photos of all my sites and never spotted it. It wasn't until I looked carefully at Google Earth that I could see it. Its very faint but its there. When I printed it and showed people at work they just blamed the markings on a bad printer :D

I am finishing off the other half of the feature today, but its seems to be an only find!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Over three thousand hits, sixty odd reply's, and still not on the banner,what do you have to find? :'(

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

tyre kicker said:
Over three thousand hits, sixty odd reply's, and still not on the banner,what do you have to find? :'(

A cache or gold it looks like to me.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: DAY 1 on the HUGE FIELD........<<AMAZING FIND>>

TreasureTales said:
Nice finds, and the axe head is excellent. Certainly is small, isn't it. Wonder what they chopped with something that size? Anyhow, good thing you checked your dad's stuff before you chucked it. Do you always toss your junk in the hedgerows?

Yeah I hear that, where do you toss your junk, I wanna go sift thru it. ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

dugfinds said:
The Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) records it on a database open to all on the web. They take pictures & properly identify it & I give them the find location. Although I will hide it to the public. This link is a great resource for all, see below:
http://www.finds.org.uk/

So you mean that they don't report to the public where you found it? That would make me a little PO'd if I did all the research to find this site and then some other THer came and vultured my site! I don't mind sharing a site with people but a lot of these guys are retired and it's all they do while I am away at work...and I've seen it. They will clean a site right out of all the good easy finds over the course of a couple of days, then it's hard hunting just to find one item.

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Skrimpy said:
dugfinds said:
The Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) records it on a database open to all on the web. They take pictures & properly identify it & I give them the find location. Although I will hide it to the public. This link is a great resource for all, see below:
http://www.finds.org.uk/

So you mean that they don't report to the public where you found it? That would make me a little PO'd if I did all the research to find this site and then some other THer came and vultured my site! I don't mind sharing a site with people but a lot of these guys are retired and it's all they do while I am away at work...and I've seen it. They will clean a site right out of all the good easy finds over the course of a couple of days, then it's hard hunting just to find one item.

They only give the location to the public if the finder is stupid enough to let them use it.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

dugfinds said:
They only give the location to the public if the finder is stupid enough to let them use it.

So you have to sign a disclosure form for them to legally release the place where it was found...nice. Makes for a good spot for you to hunt!

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

When I showed the Archies they told me that the Axe is only normally found in ritual diposits (ie thrown in lakes etc) or buried in mounds. Which fits with what I think the site was.

I have emailed the Finds Liason Officer (FLO) with a picture & will take it to them shortly.

I have also spotted another Bronze Age Burial site nearby on google earth. I might try & gain permission from the farmer when I have time!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

dugfinds said:
When I showed the Archies they told me that the Axe is only normally found in ritual diposits (ie thrown in lakes etc) or buried in mounds. Which fits with what I think the site was.

I have emailed the Finds Liason Officer (FLO) with a picture & will take it to them shortly.

I have also spotted another Bronze Age Burial site nearby on google earth. I might try & gain permission from the farme when I have time!

Nice work. Sell it privately or let the govt give you the cash for it. I would wait until I had amassed enough stuff from one of those sites so that they couldn't ignore it, and since they are paying list price for the stuff you wouldn't have the ups and downs of the market to worry about whether or not you were going to make anything. They would just give it to you...on top of that everything would be legit and you wouldn't have to worry about The King coming to get his taxes...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow! 1500 BCE and I am still hoping to break the 1900AD barrier with coins. Congrats to your Pop!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread