DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Whiskeyrat, I have to integrate an on screen display system into my drone before I can take to the air for the first time, and also finalize the center of gravity once all the new electronics are on board. But no need for a drone when it comes to this mythical stone cabin near the Rincon exit. I can tell you for a fact there is absolutely nothing there but a couple of old telephone line cross members and a property marker on a concrete monument.

Repeat, no stone cabin is there.

my understanding (from previous posts) was that your drone (actually a winged craft not a true drone, which can hover in place) would fly a "pre determined" route and then return to base and land on its own. Why would you need a real time on screen display if the drone (or winged aircraft) is on "autopilot"? maybe I missed something? Or is it that for the initial flight you need to be in control in case the on board navigation fails or does not respond as planned? I am very comfortable with "initial" testing and usually dont want anyone else around to witness:) if you know what i mean. In the real world, in my opinion, you need the first prototype, then corrections for what you learned, then another try, more tweaks, then maybe success. when a company hires my company to develop a product, i flat out tell them, plan on at least 3 iterations. the first 2 are not failures, just a rapid learning curve, after all, you are attempting to do something that has never been done before, so dont be so confident as to think you can do it the first attempt. tell me more.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because any real fixed wing drone operator needs to know live in-flight data, ground speed, wind speed, heading, GPS location, etc. You don't leave things to chance when flying something you spent a lot of time and money building. This stuff is all available off the shelf and is being used by thousands of people in the US, no engineering on my part required. And I'm not doing anything new at all, I encourage you to go to rcgroups.com and check out their thread on the X-8 Skywalker platform. There are hundreds of videos from around the world from people flying my platform with great success.

The on screen display also gives you real time data on how much juice your motor is using, how much you have left in your batteries, altitude, and its all recorded so if you have a problem you can play it back to try to figure out what went wrong with your system

I am new to all this and would rather have a successful first flight than a crash costing me thousands in equipment. So I learn from others and try to take every precaution against failure. It has taken me years to get this far, and though some have tried to get me to rush into things to serve their own interests, that is the last thing I would ever do.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you see the photos in post #1724 and #1725? They are no longer viewable by me.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
<cut>
But no need for a drone when it comes to this mythical stone cabin near the Rincon exit. I can tell you for a fact there is absolutely nothing there but a couple of old telephone line cross members and a property marker on a concrete monument.

Repeat, no stone cabin is there.

No surprise. At least you found a section corner to confirm your useless location.

A lot of folks access the west side of the range at Caballo Dam.

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What route do you have in mind to enter the Caballos?

Unclematt:
I have been entering the Caballos from 3 different locations.
From the north side of TorC I go east on 51, immediately after you cross the Rio Grande you hook a 180 right turn down under the bridge and this road will lead you all the way down the West side of the Caballos basically following the Rio Grande River all the way down the entire West side of the Caballos.

The other entrance I use is in Arrey. Very convoluted route since the Road Across the dam at the state park is now closed since 911 as TM2 has indicated below.

You can not cross the dam at the state park.

Winding your way thru Arrey (use a topo map) there is a tunnel at: 32.876760, 107.294833 (rough coordinates from GE). I cant give you road names, its a very convoluted route to get to this tunnel under 25.
But is gets you access to the south side of the Caballos just south of the state park.
This road again follows the Rio Grande going north and all the canyons branch off to the east.

The 3rd route is the exit at Rincon where you went which gives you access to the east side of caballo range from the south.

Cant wait to get back down there and explore. Love the Caballos. And Animas also. And the Hachitas.

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New X8 WING - RC Groups

There are hundreds of pages to this thread, so have fun looking through it.

Awesome stuff, I think these private drones, planes etc are going to be game changers in many ways. I want to explore the drone with camera route, however, i dont think there is any replacement for "boots on the ground".
I love getting up into the mountains and staying there for a week or two at a certain spot and becoming familiar with every rock and every animal and bird in the area. Even the human animals i have met so far are all awesome.
Hopefully someday i will find an entrance into underground of the Caballos.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well, just from an old Scarecrow, but hanging from my post I can tend to see things those on the ground can't.

The higher up on your post, the better the view.

And you can cover a lot more ground in the air then on boots. Find the good looking spots, then put boots to them.

And heck yeah a camera (FPV) system is invaluable. You can have every piece of the newest equipment, but the Mark 8 eyeball can save your craft/butt when the others miss something.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I know that even when the whole cabin bs had been shown to be false this would be your reaction? You are welcome to go try yourself, and stop expecting others to do so. If you have photos of such a cabin, post them. If you have proof it ever existed, post it. As things stand now there is no sign of a cabin in that area, and no signs there ever was one. Period.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just given the location of the horse in the caballo's, on my other site in response to Real tayopa please view, np:cat:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger, give it a rest. I haven't see you do ANY work here! You just post a lot of stuff you claim to be true. I went to the site you mapped, and there was nothing there. Rather than simply accept reality, you continue clinging to what you want to think. Which is fine, but then you need to do your own on site searching, and stop expecting others to do so. Lecture yourself, not me.

If you spent so much time in the area, where are YOUR photos showing you did? Have you ever posted a single photo to back up anything you claim is out there? And if you have friends watching the cabin area as you already claimed, why aren't THEY taking care of what you want looked for out there? You talk a lot, but produce nothing. And yet you feel license to be condescending? Its gotten really old. Give it a rest.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img109.jpg
np:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread