Dreams do come true WaHoo!!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
My heart about stopped when I dug this late 20th century tab. I had to stop and take in all it's glory. It shows what a little research and determination can do. This was my best hunt all day. So don't ever let it be said a site is all hunted out. I got this baby about four inches down with a VDI at around 31 on a Whites machine. After I dug this after about five minutes The finds just kept coming. I know there will be some naysayers out there, but it is all due to a little luck and research.

Hey keep the passion high

Attachments

• 0928001750.jpg
    0928001750.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 4,894
  • CIMG0339.JPG
    CIMG0339.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 4,871
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats :icon_thumleft: Awesome day . . and to think some people dscriminate these out :dontknow:

Great to post . . now we know who all has a great sense of humor :laughing7: Anyone who posted a reply here is a person I would like to detect with :icon_pirat:

HH, Mark

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49 replies on a pull tab post? That's funny right there. Who will go 50?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ticm great find. Keep at it, if you start detecting like you dig bottles, you will make a killing. tapoutking that clip of the laffing dudes floored me.

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one exactly like it last week and due to my ignorance, I considered it garbage and tossed it in the trash at the end of my hunt. I now see the errors of my ways, which could have been prevented with a little foreknowledge (ie: research) on my end. Congrats goes out to you on this truly worthy banner find! :notworthy:

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Sweet Tab Dude!!. It's a shame someone holed it, probably dropped the Numismatic value somewhat. Have you sent it in for grading yet?

Sorry, just couldn't let this one die!!

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I seriously agree with all the folks on getting that thing authenticated.
Last week, I pulled one up that looks almost as sweet as yours, but
turned out to be a forgery. Upon closer inspection by a local expert,
it turned out to be foil and not a tab at all!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could tell you more info on your find but I don't handle enough to comment, they are a rare find for me & I keep getting trashy Roman Coins which seem to mask them. Maybe one day with a bit of research I will start to understand where you can get such great looking pull tabs or 'Ring Pulls' as we call them :o

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
CRUSADER said:
I wish I could tell you more info on your find but I don't handle enough to comment, they are a rare find for me & I keep getting trashy Roman Coins which seem to mask them. Maybe one day with a bit of research I will start to understand where you can get such great looking pull tabs or 'Ring Pulls' as we call them :o
Yeah Crusader, you guys may have your Roman Coin Hoards, Anglo Saxon Gold Hoards, Celtic Gold, etc, but over here, anytime we enter one of our hallowed parks, we always have the outside possibility, the faintest chance, that we might uncover one of these beauties. The best part of all, is that we don't have to claim them as treasure trove yet, nor do we have to split it with the Parks and Rec Depts. I'm sure our Govt is bound to catch wind of this epic find, and all that will soon change!!

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I will say to this do not make light of the pull tab . like others tabs bring gold .I am at a park that has been giving deep silver up this year. 3 out of my last 6 merc dimes have been in the hole with a tab . If I dont have 30 or 40 tabs in my junk pouch I have not had a good day .

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you're from New Jersey.

That might be a pull tab from one of Snookie's first binges (age 5).

I'd sell it on Ebay as such.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on making BANNER!!!!!!!!

That's what I love about this hobby -- what are the odds of someone dropping that back in the 1960's or 1970's and you coming along and putting your coil over it in 2010?!?!

Gotta love finding those 20th century sites! You must have some awesome dirt in your part of NJ - up here we only seem to find the later square ones and they don't even look half as nice as what you just dug!

Were you able to get dates on those zinc cents???

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Oh man! You found ONE! How did you get so LUCKY? WOW! A Classic! A pristine unused and apparently still serviceable DUCK CALL! What are your hunting seasons up there anyway? Man! You could use that thing today if you wanted to! You'd be SURE to get your limit of ducks in no time!

What's that? "DUCK CALL" ? It's that! what you dug up... the old style pull tab. Man! You are just not in the know are you? *sigh* Kids today! Sheesh! You know, not EVERYTHING can be found as an "app" on a Smart phone. Sometimes you have to rely on old fashioned imagination and ingenuity.
You see, you would save those pull tabs after you opened your beverage of choice for uses later on, kind of like early recycling if you think about it. Some people made chains of them that could measure in yards or even hundreds of feet. But the all time best use for those pull tabs was the CLASSIC "DUCK CALL". There you are out in your blind, wet, cold, leaky boots with your dog who's got the worst god awful gas for some reason that morning...ugh... anyway, your decoys are all set and you are waiting for the first heralding "Quacks" of incoming water dusters as the dawn is breaking on the horizon. In the distance you can hear other hunters calling for the ducks, even an occasional BOOM of a bird gun going off...lucky bastards... Finally! You spot a couple of specks in the distance and check your iron to see that it's loaded and ready. You reach into your coat pocket and pull out your pull tab/ duck call and carefully bend the "tonge over so that it ever so neatly covers the open pull ring... holding the tab by your newly created "hinge" you bring it to your lips and take a deep breath... and then yell as loudly as you can through the call... "HERE DUCK DUCK DUCK DUCK..."

<falling out of chair laughing>

*gasp* A Word... of caution... If you use one of these calls, be READY to DUCK! Any other hunters nearby to you will just as likely open fire on YOU... yeah.. those calls are THAT effective! <giggle> Cool finds my friend, love the joy and the sarcasm in your recounting of the hunt. Keep up the spirit and most importantly.. Keep having fun!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

.... " HERE DUCK DUCK DUCK DUCK...."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread