dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm ending all my listings tomorrow for two weeks. I certainly need some time off!!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Listed 6 items yesterday. One was a BIN for 3 boxes of pre-prepared microscope slides I bought on July 7th. There were 50 slides marked Human Brain Stem and 25 marked Dog Brain Stem. Listed at 169.50 overnight I got an offer for $75 before they sold at full price.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Listed 6 items yesterday. One was a BIN for 3 boxes of pre-prepared microscope slides I bought on July 7th. There were 50 slides marked Human Brain Stem and 25 marked Dog Brain Stem. Listed at 169.50 overnight I got an offer for $75 before they sold at full price.

Excellent! That's a interesting auction item!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it has been some time since I sold anything on eBay and the previous two years were the same where little if anything sold the first time around. I had a Reserve Price on everything and believe that the Reserve Prices were low for the items that I listed and I even had Free Shipping. I listed 7 items over nearly a week period, one sold, two are still running and 4 did not sell. Can some of you look and tell what I could have done differently? Also, please understand that the Reserve Prices were to protect me against significant losses which has happened in the past! Please check out my' eBay listings at the link below and let me know what you think, Pros...Cons and the Good...Bad and the Ugly. Please disregard the listing on July 7th for the Parker Pen as I accidentally made the "Reserve Price" the "Buy It Now" Price, so I ended the Auctions and re-listed the pen.

huntsman532ukm | eBay

Thanks!

Frank

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can some of you look and tell what I could have done differently? Also, please understand that the Reserve Prices were to protect me against significant losses which has happened in the past! Please check out my' eBay listings at the link below and let me know what you think, Pros...Cons and the Good...Bad and the Ugly. .

Frank

I reviewed your auctions and the following is just my thoughts: I feel the prices are good for what you are selling. I never have a reserve, I always start out my auctions at the amount I want. So if I want at least 5 bucks for an item that is where my auction starts. One of the things that did make me move on is the very detail descriptions. I lost interest while reading. So that being said here is my description for a Transformer lot I sold recently.

"This is a lot of Transformer and transformer like toys. These are used and for parts. I do not know if all are actual Transformers but they are all transformer like. Clean. Please review pictures and ask questions about these toys prior to bidding. This is a parts lot and being sold as is and no returns. Ship USA only PayPal only"

I have also sold military equipment and the description about the same. Here is what I am selling, here is the condition, here is what I want for it.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I agree with Beans. Start the auctionat the lowest price you are willing to accept. Keep the description short & to the point. Make sure you picture and/or mention any flaws.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had an issue with a buyer on a lot. :BangHead: No big deal really, but the buyer acted like it was the end of the world. It was on a cheap lot like normal. He hasn't left feedback yet, and had better not leave anything but nice, positive if he does. Oh well, I figured it was about time for me to have another. :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I reviewed your auctions and the following is just my thoughts: I feel the prices are good for what you are selling. I never have a reserve, I always start out my auctions at the amount I want. So if I want at least 5 bucks for an item that is where my auction starts. One of the things that did make me move on is the very detail descriptions. I lost interest while reading. So that being said here is my description for a Transformer lot I sold recently.

"This is a lot of Transformer and transformer like toys. These are used and for parts. I do not know if all are actual Transformers but they are all transformer like. Clean. Please review pictures and ask questions about these toys prior to bidding. This is a parts lot and being sold as is and no returns. Ship USA only PayPal only"

I have also sold military equipment and the description about the same. Here is what I am selling, here is the condition, here is what I want for it.

I understand that I get very detailed and in the past, my customers have always loved that I do so and have left feedback stating this. Also, I have always been long winded with most of everything I write as I am very detail oriented. This is partially due to having worked for the National Weather Service almost 33 years and having written so, so many detailed Statements and Warnings to warn the Public, Commercial interests as well as Federal, State and Local Government entities and agencies including the Military but also, it is just the way that I am wired. At this point, I have all but given up as I believe that re-listing any of my' items and giving less detailed Item Descriptions will likely not help the items sell! In fact, another item, a Vintage Cross Century Selectip Soft Tip Pen did not sell, so that is 5 out of 6 items that did not sell and 1 item left running which will likely not sell. I am currently way in the hole (red) due to the fees I have accrued already with eBay, with PayPal for the 1 item that did sell of which I paid the shipping costs and what I paid for the items. I believe it is probably best to cut my' losses and pull out of eBay for the time being, especially considering that most everything that did not sell, barely made it half-way to their' Reserve Prices and some did not even make it to 10% of their' Reserve Prices. Thanks for the input! I will keep it in mind if I do decide to try eBay again.

Frank

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it has been some time since I sold anything on eBay and the previous two years were the same where little if anything sold the first time around. I had a Reserve Price on everything and believe that the Reserve Prices were low for the items that I listed and I even had Free Shipping. I listed 7 items over nearly a week period, one sold, two are still running and 4 did not sell. Can some of you look and tell what I could have done differently? Also, please understand that the Reserve Prices were to protect me against significant losses which has happened in the past! Please check out my' eBay listings at the link below and let me know what you think, Pros...Cons and the Good...Bad and the Ugly. Please disregard the listing on July 7th for the Parker Pen as I accidentally made the "Reserve Price" the "Buy It Now" Price, so I ended the Auctions and re-listed the pen.

huntsman532ukm | eBay

Thanks!

Frank

I think your listings are fine. Here is my two-cents. I do not bid on reserve items anymore due to it being a waste of time. So many items with a reserve do not meet the reserve price (i.e. No chance of me getting the item). I think many people skip bidding on reserved priced items. Why not start your auctions at the lowest price you would be ok with taking for that item instead.

Another option, list the items for 30 days as a BIN.

Make sure you aren't over-paying for items to re-sale so you won't lose out on the sale.

Good luck!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think your listings are fine. Here is my two-cents. I do not bid on reserve items anymore due to it being a waste of time. So many items with a reserve do not meet the reserve price (i.e. No chance of me getting the item). I think many people skip bidding on reserved priced items. Why not start your auctions at the lowest price you would be ok with taking for that item instead.

Another option, list the items for 30 days as a BIN.

Make sure you aren't over-paying for items to re-sale so you won't lose out on the sale.

Good luck!

Bingo! This is exactly the advice I would give! My experience with reserves is no bids. I as well most times just skip over items with a reserve for a few reasons, the biggest reason is often the reserve is set by a seller in love with the item and not even in this galaxy in reality...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

huntsman532ukm | eBay

Thanks!

Frank

I agree, description is way to long. Remember our culture has changed into most being A.D.D.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Are your reserve prices realistic? Have you checked recent sold listings to get an idea of what current market value on eBay is? You need to keep in mind that things don't generally sell for retail on eBay. It's entirely possible that your items won't sell for the price you want in the eBay marketplace.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Are your reserve prices realistic? Have you checked recent sold listings to get an idea of what current market value on eBay is? You need to keep in mind that things don't generally sell for retail on eBay. It's entirely possible that your items won't sell for the price you want in the eBay marketplace.

Sometimes they sell for more. All it takes is two excited bidders and your cashing in!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for their views and advice! I significantly trimmed back the Listing and Condition Descriptions for the Parker Vacumatic Fountain Pen and the Cross Century Pen and scheduled them to run 30 days from 9:15 and 9:20 PM respectively tonight. I also made them Fixed Price "Buy it Now" Auctions with the "Make an Offer" option on both. As for those questioning whether the Reserve Prices were too high, I can only say that I researched pricing for all 3 of the pens that I am selling and believe that the Reserve Prices were fair and below what the actual value of the pens. The WWII Era Compass and the WWII to early Vietnam Era M1 Garand Rifle Sling and Knapsack/Backpack will not be re-listed as I sold them locally in a lot along with a fairly large amount of Pistol Brass all together.

Frank

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I posted back in January about buying over 300 Folio Society books from a local estate. Yesterday I did my monthly paperwork which includes going through my PayPal statement from the previous month to keep track of inventory. The running total of Folio Society sales is over 4.5 times what I paid. I estimate there is still 1-2 times the original purchase price left in the remaining books.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well done everyone! I just picked up a 50 hp Mercury outboard last night for parts. I need a couple small pieces, but I only paid $65 for it and controls. I should make at least a couple hundred on it

I also picked up a old Aladdin heater for $1.50 I'll list in the fall for $75

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work For a giant Auto Salvage yard, all i do is list the items on ebay its my day job i feel your pain.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is everyone doing?

Has anyone ever left feedback for a nonpaying buyer? I know you can't leave a negative comment with a positive feedback, but I had a 0 feedback buyer that I guess just backed out after he made an offer and never paid. He had good communication, but he tried to get me to go down some after he had sent an offer that I accepted. :dontknow: I get tired of it and am kind of considering adding a positive feedback that says the buyer did not pay. What do you think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread