qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I cant't find anything what am i doing wrong HELP

Pleae provide more details. What type of detector are you using, what settings do you have it on, has it been airtested to ensure it works, etc.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Besides what qkslvr asked,when you say you can't find anything,does that really mean anything or does it mean your just finding trash? Need more info as to what you mean by anything.You bought your detector from kellyco? Need more details.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did the dealer show you how to use it? They are usually very helpful in getting you going, and helping you through any problems.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

In addition, to make your head spin a little more... Is it a new detector? Are there instructions? Maybe a movie to watch...or a similar "getting started" guide? :) We look forward to helping you when you get back to us here... ;)

OP
OP
spartan69cs

spartan69cs

Feb 13, 2007
utah
Detector(s) used
VLF TREASURE DETECTOR

It is a VLF TREASURE DETECTOR. It's new and all I'm finding is trash and yes its been airtested

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT

Unfortunately you have a very low end detector and trash is more prevelent with these models. Just be patient and listen to the sounds. Eventually you will be able to distinguise between some junk and good targets. Don't give up. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony is right about your detector being on the low end. But it will find coins too. Lay out some coins and targets and see where they tune out on the discriminatio, if you have any at all. If searching around your house, consider that maybe the property was graded and with sod, you may not have any coins there.

OP
OP
spartan69cs

spartan69cs

Feb 13, 2007
utah
Detector(s) used
VLF TREASURE DETECTOR

The things I'm finding are beer tops,nails,cans and a few more things but I can't remember them. They were maybe three inches to five inches deep

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac

Take it back and get an Ace 250 if that is at all possible. Sorry

T

TreasureTales

How many hours TOTAL have you been using your detector? Are you a total newbie to the hobby? If so, it's not unusual to find this kind of junk initially. If you've got more experience than just 10 hours or so, you should be finding something better, unless your yard has nothing worth finding in it. We need more infor from you in order to help you. We ain't mind readers. LOL

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Hey spartan... Just keep trying, and if you like the hobby... maybe a new detector is in order. There is no reason to not find coins if your finding the other stuff... where I hunt I seldom if never find coins, and always find nails, so maybe it's like sandman said; "there might not be any coins there".

Hey... your 15 years old... no place to go but up! Good luck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey spartan,was it you that moved away or your friend,when you were talking about that place at the top of a mountain where the old houses stood? If it was your friend that moved and your still in that area,i'd get up there and hunt,as long as the weather permits it,just make sure to bring another friend with you.That place sounded great.Don't get discouraged.Is the house your living in a new one? That could be the reason for not finding anything.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It's normal to dig trash man, at least you are finding something.. :P
Before you learn how your detector 'talks' to you should dig everything to learn it faster.
With time you will dig some goodies to, you don't think (I hope) that all goodies is drawn to you like a magnet because you have a detector.
Time and research are the keys. To some 'good' finds.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

well, you are finding trash, and even though you dont want to find trash, it is something. keep at it. eventually you will find the good stuff, especially if you are digging all signals,which is a great idea if you are getting to know a new machine. eventually you will be able to predict pretty accurately what is under your coil without digging. pehaps a change of scenery from your yard to the local play ground might be a good idea. there should be a lot more good targets mixed in with the trash there. maybe enough to keep you interested while you learn. just a thought! ;) hang in there, it will get better!

wishbone1958

Jan 13, 2007
southern illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac- Tesoro Compadre

Practice makes perfect... your not gonna find anything if there isn.t anything to find.... Years ago i found some very nice things with a very low end detector... welcome to the hobby and be patient... yes you may also want to upgrade as well so you have a better chance at finding the good stuff.. there are lots of good detectors to be had at just a few more dollers than what you probably spent... Garretts.. Tesoros...and Whites... good luck happy hunting

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Need some details ~

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Hey spartan. If you are fining junk items, then you detector is working. I agree with Sandman in that you should lay out some coin targets to get the feel for what they sound like and what settings you may have to change to bock out some of the trash targets.

After you get a feel for the coins, go to a local park and try your luck. Or even ask one of your neighbors if you can search their yard. Promise them you will show them all the junk that they did not know they had buried in their yard  ;D. You may even find a few coins.

Just because you have a low end detector does not mean you can not find good targets with it. Practice long enough and become familiar with your detector, that is the key to an experienced treasure hunter, not the price of his equipment.

Happy Hunting
:D 8) :D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Spartan, it sounds to me like the area you are hunting may not have much to find. I would try a place that has at least some clad for sure so that you can get your confidence built up a bit. Public parks are your best bet. I started out a few months ago with a Bounty Hunter 1100 that I purchased on Ebay for about $50 and found plenty of clad and three silver coins. There is no question that the 1100 is low on the low end scale of metal detecting. Take the advice that was given here. Go out and keep at it with that detector because you will eventually find yourself in the right place. The detector is only a fraction of the success equation. Location is just as important. If you like the hobby, then of course you should upgrade in due time. That detector should be able to scoop up some shallow silver goodies, but you'd be suprised how deep these low end units can go sometimes. I managed a 7+ inch NYC MTA token with the 1100. Do as Sandman said, throw a few coins and other items on the ground and learn their sounds/signature. Good luck and keep at it. Once you find a goodie, you'll be hooked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread