I want a new Sport but, the ATP is faster and deeper.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kid, I'll guarantee you the balance is WAY better with those batteries behind forearm on the MX than the ATPro nose heavy design. Every whites I've owned was about that same weight but a pleasure to swing.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You let this one pass for the price? Then how did you test it against your ATP? Did you even buy one? Really test one or you just don't like the printed weight and amount of batteries it has? Whites will sell these like crazy. And no I do not have a Whites. :)

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is reports that the sport is nose heavy. 4 lbs. 3 to 6 oz. depending on battery type. Weight under the arm does help but at the end of the day you will know about the extra weight. Once Whites gets off their duff and offers smaller accessory coils for the sport, we will then see what that small loss of weight means to a day of use. I will also have to stick with the ATP until I see differently. We need a couple of head to head reports between the sport and the ATP also maybe even the LRP.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accessory coils will be available in a few weeks. I posted a first park use video in the thread with the air test video. I like the audio better on the MX Sport. Deepest in the field target so far is a silver dime at seven inches. I'm sure it goes deeper, just don't have enough hours on it yet.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accessory coils will be available in a few weeks. I posted a first park use video in the thread with the air test video. I like the audio better on the MX Sport. Deepest in the field target so far is a silver dime at seven inches. I'm sure it goes deeper, just don't have enough hours on it yet.

You are a dealer, how about finding out the weight of the standard coil and also the weight of the upcoming accessory coils. That way folks could judge the end product much better.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a dealer, how about finding out the weight of the standard coil and also the weight of the upcoming accessory coils. That way folks could judge the end product much better.
A dealer would have to call White's for this information, just as a consumer would. If the consumer wants the information, why doesn't HE call? Do you need the number? I can provide it....

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dealer would have to call White's for this information, just as a consumer would. If the consumer wants the information, why doesn't HE call? Do you need the number? I can provide it....

Been there done that but they wud not answer. I thought maybe a dealer would be able to pull that out of their tight little brains.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if the Garrett works for you keep on using it don't let us stop you ;)

Yup, it's true by my tests.
Also, will any detector manufacturer please reduce number of batteries! The new Sport has sooo many it weighs 4, (yes four), pounds. GL on yur next 8 hr hunt w/o a bungee.
Great features, but I gotta let this one pass for the price.
Opinions please...
Regards, The Kid

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not liking the audio of the Sport based on the few videos I've watched. Is it better under the headphones? I loved the MX-5's tones and especially its sweet silver high tone. I'm not hearing that on the MX-sport videos.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Fletch about the tones.....and from what I have seen for the price the Racer 2 is going to beat the pants off the new Whites machine......but we will see.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Obviously it looks like you took the MXsport for a 1 hour hunt and already formed a biased opinion on it.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is part of an ad from another forum that already has a used MX sport for sale....not a good sign: Only 9 days old. Never been outside. Played with it 15-20 min. inside. Simply too heavy and can't read the small etched info on the display.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously it looks like you took the MXsport for a 1 hour hunt and already formed a biased opinion on it.

There is no way a company is going to sale a machine that is better and waterproof(MX Sport) for a lower price than a machine that is "inferior" and not waterproof(MXT All Pro)....im not falling for that.....I knew as soon as the price was released that this machine would not take the place of the MXT All Pro.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have used many Whites machines, and the weight does not scare me off. Under the arm battery placement will be fine.

However, I wish that they would have made a waterproof clone of the DFX, instead of the MXT. I am liking multi-frequency detectors more and more.

Maybe that will be their next machine?

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost fell for the sport. But My MXT All Pro is a Beast with the U13 coil.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always used to chalk up the Weight of a Whites as more analog circuits in a metal box for protection. But as Whites became fully digital, that wasn't the case. My CoinGT was heavier than offerings like Teknetics, Fisher, and my LRP. If Whites makes a tank of a detector, why then only a 2 year warranty? My LRP is lighter, full featured and less expensive with a 5 year warranty.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out of town on a relic hunt, I'll try to find out coil weight when I return. The new coils should start shipping within two weeks. Regarding the audio, there are multiple settings available - audio modulation was what I was running in my video. I'll turn it off next time and see how the tones sound. The Racer 2 looks like a great unit, but if you want to hunt the water, this one should serve you well.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be concerned about a used one on the forums, some guys buy every new detector hoping it will beat the $1500-2000 detectors. They are all tools in your toolbox, I try to pick the best one for a specific hunt site.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But look how quick it sold ;)

Here is part of an ad from another forum that already has a used MX sport for sale....not a good sign: Only 9 days old. Never been outside. Played with it 15-20 min. inside. Simply too heavy and can't read the small etched info on the display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread